Long Wait -- New Project 90p - RYUBOKU - Page 2 - The Planted Tank Forum
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 46 (permalink) Old 02-12-2016, 09:25 PM
mot
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (20/100%)
hey frrok. Its looking good. Pinnatifida is a tough one as you are finding out. Ive had the same issue and ended up pulling it. To only find it come back within weeks. It is quite aggressive and spreads quickly with runners. Your best bet is to just keep aggressively trimming it. You can get it to bush out a bit like any stem plant by cutting just above a node and it will send out new shoots. You can replant tops if you want.

Hope that helps

-JP
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 46 (permalink) Old 02-12-2016, 09:57 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mot View Post
hey frrok. Its looking good. Pinnatifida is a tough one as you are finding out. Ive had the same issue and ended up pulling it. To only find it come back within weeks. It is quite aggressive and spreads quickly with runners. Your best bet is to just keep aggressively trimming it. You can get it to bush out a bit like any stem plant by cutting just above a node and it will send out new shoots. You can replant tops if you want.

Hope that helps

Thanks for the feedback. That's what Ive been doing but maybe not aggressive enough. I want to make sure it gives me the right look. I've also noticed that it grows better on hardscape rather the substrate. In the substrate it seems to grow slower.

I also googled some images and noticed that there is a few photos of it where it seems to grow smaller and much redder. But I'm not sure if that is a different species.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #18 of 46 (permalink) Old 02-12-2016, 10:14 PM
mot
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (20/100%)
Yea. I find that the runners send out there first sets of leaves are typically red and bushier. And it does grab hardscape very well and can actually be hard to pull off.

-JP

post #19 of 46 (permalink) Old 02-12-2016, 11:15 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Looking very nice!

I've got pinnatifada growing under some pretty high lights planted in substrate but most leaning against hardscape in the hope they'll attach.
I've only had them in for about a week and a half now but for me it seems that the new shoots are much more copper colored then the older leaves. It also grows more and more compact as it gets settled so high light does the job I'd say..

Frrok have you entered scapes in contests before?
mind taking a look at mine giving me some pointers?
link in my signature

post #20 of 46 (permalink) Old 02-13-2016, 11:44 AM
Algae Grower

Long Wait -- New Project 90p - RYUBOKU

Xxx

Last edited by andjo87; 02-13-2016 at 06:48 PM.
post #21 of 46 (permalink) Old 02-13-2016, 12:42 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
Looking very nice!

I've got pinnatifada growing under some pretty high lights planted in substrate but most leaning against hardscape in the hope they'll attach.

I've only had them in for about a week and a half now but for me it seems that the new shoots are much more copper colored then the older leaves. It also grows more and more compact as it gets settled so high light does the job I'd say..

Frrok have you entered scapes in contests before?

mind taking a look at mine giving me some pointers?

link in my signature

Thank you. I have some pretty intense lighting also but it ramps up and down on a controller. Even the plants up closet to the light source don't appear to red. Definitely very lush though. I was considering extending the high light time. Jut to see what happens but I don't want to deal with algae. No algae right now.

I have entered the iaplc contest before. I'll check out your tanks.

post #22 of 46 (permalink) Old 02-13-2016, 05:05 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Equipment:
LEDZEAL Malibu S200 LED Light Fixture with multiple colored 3w LED diodes. Controller ramps up then down over a 10 hour photoperiod
120 degree lenses
Color ratio: (6)430nm : (6)470nm : (6)510nm : (6)630nm : (6)660nm : (6)W4300k : (36)W6500k
Eheim Pro 3 2073
Up Aqua inline diffuser
10 lb CO2 with a custom brass dual stage regulator
CO2.art.uk brass bubble counter
Eheim 350 skimmer
co2.art.uk 17mm outflow lily pipe
chihiros 17mm SS inflow
Hydor 200w inline heater

post #23 of 46 (permalink) Old 02-13-2016, 05:46 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (5/100%)
Very nice setup! I love the stand, looks very similar to one I built last summer,

post #24 of 46 (permalink) Old 02-13-2016, 06:38 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhenry7711 View Post
Very nice setup! I love the stand, looks very similar to one I built last summer,

Thanks. It's DIY.

post #25 of 46 (permalink) Old 02-14-2016, 12:38 AM
Algae Grower

Cheers, ever got into the, what is it they show, top 2k?
They show some pretty impressive winning works on the ada website

Looks very organised, wish i could say the same, not enough space and time.

You say you've got a 10hour ramping light schedule, ever tried the afternoon break?
I've been into keeping fish and plants for 2 years now and learning by trial and error.
So far it's working out for me, you have any thoughts on the matter?

Sorry for straining you, it's very inviting to pluck someones brain that's a lot further.

post #26 of 46 (permalink) Old 02-14-2016, 12:54 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
Nice reg. Airgas y12?

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Never show anyone your true potential. If you do, they will always expect it.
post #27 of 46 (permalink) Old 02-18-2016, 05:39 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (19/100%)
Nice setup. Your tank is looking great!
post #28 of 46 (permalink) Old 02-18-2016, 01:15 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by usgetata View Post
Nice setup. Your tank is looking great!

Thanks!!

post #29 of 46 (permalink) Old 02-18-2016, 08:04 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
Cheers, ever got into the, what is it they show, top 2k?
They show some pretty impressive winning works on the ada website

Looks very organised, wish i could say the same, not enough space and time.

You say you've got a 10hour ramping light schedule, ever tried the afternoon break?
I've been into keeping fish and plants for 2 years now and learning by trial and error.
So far it's working out for me, you have any thoughts on the matter?

Sorry for straining you, it's very inviting to pluck someones brain that's a lot further.
Sorry havent had the chance to reply to your Queries.

Yes, i have broken the top 2k in the iaplc and last year i did better than when i first entered(only entered twice)

Yes, My lights are controlled by a controller, its around 10 hours, they ramp up from 0%, peak at around 60%(whites only) then back down to 0%. My lights are very powerful 3w LEDS. at 100% it would be waaaay too much light. So as to know deal with the algae issues, I am running them low-medium light for now. I may experiment later with higher percentages and raise the light. I have done the afternoon break but only with a lo-tech non-co2 tank. Otherwise I don't see the point. You run the risk of burning out your solenoid shutting on and off frequently through out the day. When would you shut down the lights and co2, during the peak of the photoperiod when the plants are photosynthesizing heavily!?? Not worth it, IMO.

Trial and Error, the only way you get better is by failing and learning from your mistakes(just try not to kill any fish in the process). I've made tons of mistakes. But i am much more experienced now because of it.

post #30 of 46 (permalink) Old 02-20-2016, 01:41 AM
Algae Grower

nice! congrats i suppose
do they give you any critique or explain why you get rated the way you do?
no worries no obligations here, we all have enough of those..

what you're saying about the lighting schedule makes sense. My initial goal with having a pause in my lighting was to enjoy the tank most myself. On in the afternoon to enjoy it when my afternoon is off and the same goes for the evening.

Doing it 4,2,4 was to stay closest to natural lighting, I've got led installed that I use for dimmer effects and is on full blast in the pause as to simulate a shade dropping over the whole thing midday.
There's 2 t5 39 watt purple and yellow bulbs that go for the full 4 n 4 and are also to create a sunrise set effect and there are 2 t5 45 watt 6k white bulbs for midday blast that go for 2 hours in the middle of each run.
Would you consider this too much light for my setup?

I never thought of the fact that now that I've got led in this tank I can enjoy it any time of the day anyway with the appropriate lighting.. I might switch this tank over to a single cycle a day and see how that goes with pearling etc. cos this does seem to happen most at the end of each 4hour run.
Will post a '3 week in' update soon, shall include the matter.

A couple of weeks ago i had my first co2 accident, this was with a diy set though, they are quite hard to regulate I've found.. Came home to find about 15 fish nearly unconscious on the surface. Lost a angelfish sadly but was in time to save the rest.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode