My Progress and Your Thoughts - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-25-2015, 05:29 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
My Progress and Your Thoughts

Alright, here is my very first tank/aquascape. This is how it started.

Aug 9

then I decided to add some more plants

Aug 15

Then I came to you guys for help, and came up with this.

Aug 21

Aug 29

Now here is my final product, just waiting for some carpets to grow in. What do you guys think? It's you guys that inspired me.

Sept 19

Sept 29 Just before its very first hair cut

Sep 29 Just after a hair cut

Last edited by WickedOdie; 10-02-2015 at 05:54 AM. Reason: Added Dates
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-25-2015, 06:00 AM
Wannabe Guru

Oh, it's grown in nicely. Congrats on your first tank project!

Daisy Mae V
According to my husband, I have a habit of jumping right in!
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-02-2015, 03:19 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (16/100%)
Looking great! That is a pretty big change from start to finish. How is your fish treatment going?

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-02-2015, 03:55 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (6/100%)
just curious, ow long took from picture one to last picture?
looks good.

46 Bowfront:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

CAPS - Chicago Aquatic Plant Society
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-02-2015, 04:14 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
Looks great! How did u get that growth?
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-02-2015, 05:59 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by goatnad View Post
Looking great! That is a pretty big change from start to finish. How is your fish treatment going?
Fish are good, I don't think it's velvet to be honest. I do believe it was something, but I think the gold I was seeing was just their natural reflective scales. I looked around the internet at the pictures of cory cats and they all seem to have gold looking shimmer around their gills. And it just didn't make sense that I never lost a fish. Other than the one that came down with dropsy that I put down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphabeta View Post
just curious, ow long took from picture one to last picture?
looks good.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plantmytank View Post
Looks great! How did u get that growth?
Alright, so I've taken the liberty of date stamping! That should clear up the days and how long it took. As for growth, it really started to kick off when I started adding CO2 to the mix. I have recently been dosing Flourish Iron, Potassium twice weekly, and Excel only on water change days.

I just got my shipment of EI dry ferts in, I'll be starting those Sunday on my WC day.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-02-2015, 02:52 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (6/100%)
that was a fast conversion!

46 Bowfront:

CAPS - Chicago Aquatic Plant Society
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-02-2015, 06:35 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

I just wish my Ludwigia Granulosa wasn't so finicky for me. It either grows good, or it dies. One stem will be okay, then the next stem will be rotting away. I think this happened when I first started the tank due to anaerobic conditions? It's not so bad anymore, but I need to wait for it to grow out so i can propagate.

I'm also thinking about removing the swords. Doesn't really go with the theme I guess. That will be a nightmare when I do decide to take that plunge.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-02-2015, 07:51 PM
Algae Grower

Wow! I just started a planted tank in a 36gal I got for Christmas this past year. I never thought an aquarium would completely take over what little free time I have (Thankfully I have my Fiancee's support on this one )

What are you using to make them grow so well? I've been using liquid fertilizer and so far so good, and since I've put the seven plants I have bought throughout the week (I am planning on more) my fish seem a lot happier. So I want to make sure I do my best to have them grow well.

I'm brand new to the site and to planted tanks, so any advice or anything will be graciously accepted.

Long story short; love your tank, looks great

Current tanks: 36g bow (glass suddenly cracked, calamity ensued), 65g (Brand new! Would enjoy, welcome, and appreciate any and all info you could think of sharing with someone who's very new to this, but very excited to learn.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-02-2015, 08:59 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Basically I'm not doing anything special. My lighting might be the deal breaker. I have 4 6400 T5HO sunblasters running, I am injecting CO2.

For now I only dose flourish potassium and flourish iron, and I dose excel only after a water change and only two capfuls. I am going to start EI dry fert dosing on sunday. I'll document all progress on that as well.

Honestly, I'm doing nothing special, and as of right now the only inhabitants of the tank are RCS, Ramshorn Snails, MTS, and Pond Snails. I'm planning to push my fish back in soon. I'll probably start with just my cleanup crew, corys, ottos, and SAE's.

I have 2 Boesmeni Rainbows, 2 Turquoise Rainbows, and 7 Deep Water Creek Rainbows. I plan to introduce them once my shrimp get a good healthy colony started. They will probably eventually all get eaten though. Not so much the adults, but the younger ones for sure.
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-02-2015, 09:22 PM
Planted Tanker

PTrader: (124/100%)
Looking very nice. It's come a long way since that first pic!

post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-12-2015, 05:06 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

October 11th- I thought it needed a haircut

October 11th- Roughly 2 hours later. I have a ton of excess cuttings on the right.

Moon lighting anyone?

post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-12-2015, 04:50 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (29/100%)
Some nice wood hardscape in the midground would do wonders in this tank. Looks like you are getting very nice growth thus far!

post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-12-2015, 05:11 PM
Wannabe Guru

That's took a while to trim, crazy huh?

If you're ok to maybe kill the sword plant when you get rid of it, one way to do it relatively neatly is to plunge a sharp knife pretty close to the roots at the base of the plant.
This way, the roots will be left behind and not uprooted. They'll eventually break down and provide nutrients for the other plants in the substrate.

I do this often enough in the garden if I don't want to disturb other plant roots etc.

Daisy Mae V
According to my husband, I have a habit of jumping right in!
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-12-2015, 05:29 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by klibs View Post
Some nice wood hardscape in the midground would do wonders in this tank. Looks like you are getting very nice growth thus far!
Do you have any ideas? This will eventually be full of rainbows, so I'd like some swimming room for sure. Do you think I should take another piece off of the piece I have in there? Maybe have it going towards the center of my open space?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daisy Mae View Post
That's took a while to trim, crazy huh?

If you're ok to maybe kill the sword plant when you get rid of it, one way to do it relatively neatly is to plunge a sharp knife pretty close to the roots at the base of the plant.
This way, the roots will be left behind and not uprooted. They'll eventually break down and provide nutrients for the other plants in the substrate.

I do this often enough in the garden if I don't want to disturb other plant roots etc.
I trimmed them back a bit yesterday, one of them is shotting out runners right now. I'm thinking about waiting till the runner has some growth on it before killing my swords, this will allow me to save some sword plants just incase i make a mistake and really want the swords in there. But i'm not really a huge fan in this scape.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode