Rock for Aquascaping? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-24-2015, 10:59 PM Thread Starter
I don't do this anymore

PTrader: (28/100%)
Rock for Aquascaping?

Hey all, I'm setting up a 20L soon for some Painted RCS, and I'm in the final stages of planning. All that's left is the overall look of the tank. I'm looking for some exotic-looking stones, and I really liked this site's selection and style:

stones | aquadeco

but I'm guessing the pieces are extremely expensive to buy and to ship, so I'm trying more DIY methods of hardscaping. In general, I would like to have dark grey granite-material stones. I have personal favorites on the above website, some being Fairyland stone and Glimmer wood rock.

I'm hoping there would be some decent looking stones at the Home Depot near me, but I don't know what kinds of stone are safe, or how to clean them. Could someone point me in the right direction or give me some instructions?

Or, if Home Depot doesn't really have suitable or appealing stones, what places (Online or otherwise) have stone for reasonable price?

I will also be putting up an ad for wanted stone, maybe someone around here has some cool stones they don't need!

Thanks folks, stay classy.

No matter how hard you try, you cannot escape this hobby. You have been warned.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-24-2015, 11:03 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
eBay search "Seiryu stone". You'll be surprised. Not as expensive as you would think. Home Depot will be a strikeout.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-24-2015, 11:05 PM Thread Starter
I don't do this anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turningdoc View Post
eBay search "Seiryu stone". You'll be surprised. Not as expensive as you would think. Home Depot will be a strikeout.
Seiryu stone messes with hardness and pH. Not really safe for my tank.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-24-2015, 11:26 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/80%)
It's true that Seiryu stone does mess with the GH and KH of your tank, but it develops a coat of bacteria that stops the stones from leaking the mineral deposit. I have over 65 lbs. in my 90 gallon and at first my GH and KH were off the charts. Now it's perfect and never even fluctuates. An important thing to know is that if you have algae problems and need to scrub your rocks often, then it releases all that hardness back into the water.

-Mikey G
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-24-2015, 11:33 PM Thread Starter
I don't do this anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeygmzmg View Post
It's true that Seiryu stone does mess with the GH and KH of your tank, but it develops a coat of bacteria that stops the stones from leaking the mineral deposit. I have over 65 lbs. in my 90 gallon and at first my GH and KH were off the charts. Now it's perfect and never even fluctuates. An important thing to know is that if you have algae problems and need to scrub your rocks often, then it releases all that hardness back into the water.
This is gonna be a shrimp tank, so there shouldn't be any algae problems. I've got some Excel if needed.

But is that actually safe? Just hope for a layer of bacteria to stop the water going haywire? I feel like Seiryu stones are just a time bomb man.

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-25-2015, 01:46 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
The RCS actually will thrive in slightly harder water.
The seiryu stones will leach more if your water is soft and acidic, but if your water is already hard, it will not be an issue.

My water is so soft that I don't mind putting found stones that leach minerals into the water.

Daisy Mae V
According to my husband, I have a habit of jumping right in!
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-25-2015, 01:57 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Look for places that landscapers buy rock.
Might be listed as Masonry, Brick, Soil, Stone, Topsoil, Bark or other names.

Bring some baggies with you and a sharpie marker.
When you see some stone you like, take some of the broken bits as samples. Label the baggie.

When you get it home, put each sample in a separate jar of water and test GH, KH, pH and TDS when you start (pure water) and then a few hours after adding the sample, then 24 and 48 hours. If the tests are still changing, run the tests out to a week.
This will give you some idea which materials will react more with your water, and to avoid these.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-08-2015, 02:27 AM
Planted Member

I Acid wash them first, then soak for a month, no problems. Good enough for Amano, good enough for me.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-08-2015, 07:14 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

I'd look for petrified wood if you like the glimmer wood rock look. You can also look up Zebra Rock for that granite type of feel.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode