The Planted Tank Forum banner

Where to find Background

2K views 23 replies 12 participants last post by  Hilde 
#1 ·
I am in the beginning stages of scaping a 50gal cube. I would like to use a background that would look much like wax paper which would block out the cords and other thing hanging off the back but still let some light in. All the background I can find involve aquatic scenes. I don't want that.

Any ideas?

#2 ·
Just up and paint the back of the tank.

I really like how black looks painted on, but I've seen other colors/combinations that look good.

You can get a little jar of latex and get it tinted to whatever color you like at most big-box home/garden stores, they cost just a couple dollars, and get a chip brush for another dollar. Should be plenty for most tanks.

I've also used spraypaint. need to do it outside (or in a workshop), and takes a bit more prepwork with taping off the opening, but I found it to be easier and quicker then brush-on latex.

The latex is probably easier to remove if you don't like it or something.

#23 ·
You can get a little jar of latex and get it tinted to whatever color you like at most big-box home/garden stores, they cost just a couple dollars, and get a chip brush for another dollar.
The latex paint will just peel off. Takes a few coats too. You can get a paint roller at Dollar Tree Store for $1. The spray paint you have to scrape off.

I have at times just taped fabric to the back of the tank with gorilla tape.
Black fabric looks the same as the paint. The other colors pop more when painted on. Blues seem to make the plants pop the most. My favorite blue is rustaleom spa blue. Got green on the back of 1 tank. Looks like it has green water. Great for a breeding tank though.

#3 ·
I never thought of doing that. What a great idea. I am just a little concerned about removing it when/if I get tired of it.

I have seen some backgrounds that are applied with a thin layer of water and the bubbles are removed with a credit card. Those look so nice and clean.

#10 ·
Go to your local hardware store, spend $5 on some frosted glass spray and painters tape. Voila!

If you dont like it, remove it. If you want to change the color to black, paint over it. Actually, that would be interesting, frosted glass with black over it.

Or like I did, frosted glass with an LED light on the back, look in my sig at my 30 gal.

#14 ·
I did, look at my 30 gal in my sig. I plan to take a video of the lights someday.

I first did the frosted glass spray paint. You can put it on as thick or thin as you desire. I did not like the look of just the frosted glass. It did hide the wires and stuff well though and gave an interesting texture. I then added the LED lights I got from PPTL or something like that on Amazon (there is a link in my journal). This really made the whole thing pop.

#16 ·
Another option if you want the frosted look is to use the frosted plastic that people put on their bathroom windows to let the light in but still be private. I believe it's sold in rolls at Home Depot. I think it's a matter of cutting it to fit and then putting it on making sure to remove the air bubbles.

#19 ·
For a quick, cheap, and easy that is not permanent while you think over what to do more permanent? I once set up a tank and THEN decided I needed the cover so I went easy. A small bit of cloth of what ever color suits can be hung down the back even when the tank is full and against a wall. I prefer black to hide things.

#22 ·
I went to staples and got a paper product,
Not sure what it was called but its like poster board
But it has a foam layer in the middle.

It's 1/4 inch thick and the color I use is white
And cut tight it stays in place with just a little tape

Looks good to me and not a permanent
Choice like paint, and comes in multiple colors

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.