Has anyone used Geodes in a planted tank? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-24-2012, 04:32 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (12/100%)
Has anyone used Geodes in a planted tank?

Hi All,
I am preparing to set up a 36 Gal plated tank with rocks and drift as part of the hardscape. With compact fluorescent light a penguin 200 filter and 150w heat stick.

Does anyone have experience with geodes in Aquascaping? I am worried about affecting the ph and hardness of the water as well as sharp edges for my fish! Any help is appreciated! Also looking for your ideas about the setup. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-24-2012, 06:40 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (6/100%)
The most basic way to test how rocks will affect your water is to put them in water (a bucket works) and test the PH and hardness over a period of a few weeks. It's time consuming, but at least then you'd know how it'd affect your water. Can't wait to see pics of the setup!

"Less bad" does not equal "good".
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-24-2012, 06:51 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (53/98%)
You can get botryoidal geodes, which will have smooth formations inside, instead of sharp quartz crystals. Several types of rock form these types of geodes, such as agates and some rare quartz. You could also go with drusy (lots and lots of little tiny crystals amassed inside the geode), which tend to be MUCH less sharp. As theshadybird was saying, test anything you might put into your tank for a few weeks prior to actually using it. I would also recommend giving any cut rock you're going to put into your tank a REALLY good scrubbing with white vinegar and hot water and rinsing thoroughly, as some of the polishing compounds contain high levels of iron, aluminum or other things that could contaminate your tank.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-24-2012, 10:23 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
I may be wrong on this, but I'm pretty sure most geodes are quartz or some color variant (amethyst, rose, agate, etc.), which are all perfectly inert and safe for aquarium use.

There may be some concern over what the geode formed in, if there are any carbonates on the outer shell, etc.

If you can post a pic of the non-crystal part of the geode, that might help.

If it does have some stuff on the outer part, you may be able to give it a soak in some acid for a while, and then several freshwater rinsings to get rid of it.

tl,dr: A geode will probably be fine.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-25-2012, 03:14 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
That's interesting

110g Tropical Community & Sakura Shrimp
55g BN Breeding Grounds, Peacock Gudgeons, Panda, Pygmies, & Smudge Spot Cories, Rili Shrimp
10g RCS and show guppies

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-25-2012, 08:48 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (12/100%)
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2006.jpg
Views:	547
Size:	73.6 KB
ID:	55933
Here are photo's of the outside and inside of one of the geodes.
Thanks!
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2008.jpg
Views:	484
Size:	64.7 KB
ID:	55934
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-26-2012, 02:13 AM
Algae Grower

That's gonna look so sweet
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-26-2012, 06:40 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (5/100%)
I have used clear quartz and amethyst before. They are safe in tanks, but can be worn down/dissolve by water over time. Not sure how long that would take, but keep that in mind. I am not sure how long I had my crystals in the tank but probably not longer than a year so I can't tell you what the long term effects would be
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-26-2012, 09:02 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
thanks for the pic.

I can't say for certain, but the inside xls look pretty quartz-like.

If you have some sort of acid, I'd try dripping a bit of it on the outside, especially the lighter colored patches.

If I remember correctly, I think most geodes form out of igneous rocks (which are generally ok), but there are always exceptions, and there are a lot of cases where carbonates (or other somewhate soluble minerals) can get deposited amongst otherwise inert rocks.

I'd like to say it's excessive worry, but I'd still want to acid-test the outside of that geode. I'm pretty sure the inside is fine.

If you can't be bothered to test (or if it seems bad and/or ambiguous...) you could always coat the outside with resin (and, considering what HighDesert said, the cut/polished face as well), which should render it aquarium safe after it's cured...
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-01-2020, 09:03 PM

Using resin to coat geodes

I would like to know what brand or kind of resin to use to coat the geodes that makes it safe for my aquariums? Thanks very much for any advice!

Tags
aquascaping, geodes, help.suggestions, set up

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode