Planted Tank Substrate Divider - Page 2 - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-08-2012, 05:25 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (32/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jakevwapp84 View Post
Hello I was wondering where you got your rocks?
I want to know exactly what you want to know!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Please forgive me for my grammar mistakes!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-08-2012, 06:11 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (8/100%)
they look like the same rocks you can get at petsmart or petco

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #18 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-09-2012, 06:37 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
I got the rock at a local landscaper store and picked threw his rubble. A 5 gallon bucket cost me $5.

post #19 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-09-2012, 09:04 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)
Wow VB SUP. If I was trying for a little bit of containment you've got maximum lockdown. The 'scape, looks cool too. Thanks for the detailed process.

I have a quick favor to ask. Would you be able to post a picture of the actual silicone you bought? I looked for about 20 minutes in the caulk section and when I asked a HD associate for a silicone sealant for fully submersed applications they had no idea where to send me. Thank you much.
post #20 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-10-2012, 12:20 AM
Planted Tank Guru

GE Silicone I for windows and doors is one of the aquarium safe ones. The label says not underwater because they did not want to go to the expense of testing it.
Do not use kitchen and bath. That one may have mold inhibitors.

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1...1#.UCRUh6CDGBM
post #21 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-18-2012, 04:54 PM
Algae Grower

Sorry, I'm on travel and didn't take and can't remember the brand of adhesive I bought. It was next to the Gorilla Glue at a local Home Depot. There are a lot of products with mold inhibitors so reading the fine print is important.
post #22 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-20-2012, 08:48 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)
Thanks Diana. I'm slightly frustrated as that is the exact caulk I had in my hands on multiple occasions, but the not for submersed use warning kept making me put it back. I was finally able to find the appropriate sealant and as VB SUP said, it was right next to the gorilla glue. For my HD it was in the paint section. Thanks for the help!
post #23 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-22-2012, 06:45 AM
Planted Member

I just use heavy weed barrier from the roll. It's black so it blends well . Cut in strips little longer than depth of substrate then pushed in with 1" putty knife. Trim the top when done. Let's soil chemistry blend and flow continue but stops runners. I've been using this method for about 12 years with success. Only thing is if you get a NBA out break it with stick to that stuff well. I sometimes like to tweak my scapes a bit. This can be slowly juggled out and moved later. To make a patch bigger smaller. In our angel tank we just pulled it up to reshape the glosso and hg because I wanted less pigmy chain. After 6 years it came out pretty easy putt a little dirt dust in the water for 5 min but much less than I was prepared to deal with. Hope this maybe helpfull.

This is our method for edging
post #24 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-22-2012, 06:54 AM
Planted Member

Auto spellchecker was on.... Bba..... Having the NBA in your tank would be a whole separate issue.lol
post #25 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-23-2017, 11:53 AM
Mxx
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Bump!
Are there many other people dividing their substrate into 'plant bed' sections? I'm thinking I should have done this... My chain swords are already running rife through my UG carpet, and this tank has only been going for a month. With my next tank I think I'll be installing curved rows of acrylic strips which I'll shape with a blowtorch and silicone into place, and fill with sand so the top of the strip is just barely hidden.
post #26 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 11:35 PM
Algae Grower

I'm gonna dig up this post too as I'm looking at the same thing. I was thinking about getting and cutting silicon mats (the food grade ones) but as they're supposed to be "antibacterial" I'm wondering if they're sprayed with something that could kill the good bacterias in my tank...

Tags
aquascaping, planted tank, substrate divider

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode