• 1 Post By Preeths

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-09-2021, 12:58 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Dry Start Method CO2

Hi,

I'm following this guide:

https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/8...w-gallery.html for dry starting and saw a few references to CO2 helping the process.

Does this refer to dosing an empty tank with CO2 gas or only adding CO2 after its been flooded? The wording in the post is kind of ambiguous.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-09-2021, 08:25 PM
Algae Grower

I would say after you flood the tank. Any co2 added while not flooded would decrease the humidity inside the tank. The plants get plenty of co2 on their own.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
skytrike likes this.

40g Mixed Reef
125g Mixed Reef (cycled waiting on equipment)
10g DSM Phase
5g Low-Tech Planted Betta
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-09-2021, 09:42 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
A nightster said CO2 after flooding. It actually states that in a few places in the link. The plants will typically get enough CO2 when exposed to the atmosphere. It's when they're submerged that it becomes more of an issue.
skytrike likes this.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-10-2021, 01:34 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I'm doing the dry start method and was wondering how you know when to change the water once flooded........when there are no fish and just plants in it and until fish go in? Is there anything that will build up with just plants that needs to be diluted and/or removed? Thanks!
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-10-2021, 02:07 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by skytrike View Post
I'm doing the dry start method and was wondering how you know when to change the water once flooded........when there are no fish and just plants in it and until fish go in? Is there anything that will build up with just plants that needs to be diluted and/or removed? Thanks!
In high-tech generally you want to remove water on a regular basis not only to remove ferts but also organics. The more light you have the more important this is as light will accelerate algae growth from decomposing matter. You want to be preventive not reactive, so do regular water changes even if things look fine.
skytrike likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-10-2021, 03:51 PM
Planted Member

I would suggest adding CO2 during the dry start. it will increase the rate of plant growth and you can complete the dry start process in 3 weeks. I use this method. I just leave the diffuser in the tank with no water and supply about 1 BPS. For humidity, you can spray water as needed. You can keep the lights on for 16-18 hours during dry start.

During the initial 2 weeks after flooding use a high amount of Co2 to help plants acclimatize and reduce gradually to normal levels from week 2 to week 3

I use ADA Amazonia substrate.
skytrike likes this.

-Preeths

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode