Re-scape in the new year - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 12-31-2020, 09:58 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Re-scape in the new year

So I plan on doing my 30L cube in the new year, ideally I plan to do this in one day, I currently have it running with livestock which may be the problem...

I plan on emptying it fully & moving to having a sand bed with soil in the back, separated with hardscape.

I also have some finger root with Moss growing nicely on it, which I plan on reusing.

With the soil, ideally Id prefer to use a different type of soil, I currently have Tropica soil which is fine but i dont like the pellet look.

I will be using the same water with a water change on that day with new plants added the same day.

Questions:

1: would it be possible for me to do the following;

- place all livestock into a bucket with existing water, heater & filter going in there

- empty out entire tank, clean rocks and wood

- Rescape with new soil & sand

- flood tank with existing water

- add livestock back

My concern is having to cycle the tank with the livestock in there. Any advice will be appreciated

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 12-31-2020, 10:49 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
I think you'll be fine. As long as you don't touch your filter media, you shouldn't cycle at all.

I did exactly what you're talking about, except I did it with a 125G tank and it took me 9 days. I checked my water 2x daily for the first few days because I was paranoid, but I never got any ammonia.

For an emergency backup plan, just keep a full bottle of Prime on hand. Prime will bind up ammonia for 24 hours, so if you get an ammonia reading, do a 50% water change and dose the tank with prime. Check it at the same time the following day, and if you have ammonia, rinse and repeat.

With a cycled filter, any mini cycle should be over quickly, and can be handled with water changes and Prime.

If you ever think you're too small to make a difference, spend a couple of nights sleeping with a mosquito.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode