Aquascaping design - The Planted Tank Forum
 13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-10-2020, 11:34 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Lightbulb Aquascaping design

Hello, i'm new in aquascaping, but i can sketch littlebit and have some ideas about design. This is the main view of my planted aquarium very first proeject. please tell me if i'm doing it wrong way, i need your sugestions, about distribution of key components. Tank size 3.2m lenght, 0.47m widht and 0.35m height. Thank you
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	119153753_635488450675642_5258935912615511002_n.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	141.2 KB
ID:	902841  

Econde likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-10-2020, 12:11 PM
Planted Member

I love the sketch. I should say this is an ambitious for a first scape. But all the very best. Will follow this thread for updates.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tengo likes this.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-10-2020, 12:59 PM
Algae Grower

First, beautiful sketch! You obviously have an eye for natural scale and design. I do have a few points that you might want to take into account. Before that I want to make sure I understand the tank dimensions. Is the tank really 3.2 meters long, as that's about 10.5 feet? If so, you will probably have some trouble with getting good flow throughout the entire tank without a substantial amount of equipment in tank. Second, those rocks (if you keep that scale) will be extremely heavy and require a ton support beneath the tank. Based on the scale of the sketch provided, the large rock on the left of the formation will roughly have a volume of 2.25 cubic feet. Most stone that we use in aquascaping, with dragon stone being an exception, is fairly dense (120-160 lbs/ft^3). So that stone alone would weigh between 270lbs and 360lbs. You are probably looking at 500-600lbs of stone on the right side of the aquarium. The possibility for catastrophe with very large stones near glass is high. I would get an engineer involved in the design of the stand when dealing with that length of tank and that much weight. Also, the forest on the left of the aquarium would be gorgeous if done properly.

I would love to see this tank in real life as it is a beautiful design, but I think it is a little bit ambitious for a new aquascaper. Ambition is a great motivator and I believe that this would be possible with extremely detailed plans and a flawless execution. For the price of just those rocks, you could probably get a full 20gal rimless setup and mess around with different aquascapes as a testing ground for the large tank.

Whatever you decide to do I think your keen eye will produce something to be proud of!

-AM
evil8, frogger17 and Tengo like this.

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-11-2020, 05:37 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

First of all thank you for your valiable advices. Yes tank size is really 3.2x0.34x0.45m with 1cm ultraclear glass. I'm architect, so sketching, drawing and scaling is not my weak sides (if i can say so
1.i plan to reduce the weight of big rocks, by making them almost empty from invisible side
2. Do i need co2? or there is another way?
3. I want to make some cracks in cave's floor flat rock, red light will comming up from them like lava. Is this possible?
4. Aalso some fog/smoke in cave to achieve red ,,godray'' like efect. What i need for it? How to achieve smoke in water? 🙂
5. I want to add some rare cristal ilends inside cave' walls. Which cristals can i use?
That's the main questions i have. Also sorry for my english and thank you once again
Econde likes this.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-11-2020, 06:10 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tengo View Post
First of all thank you for your valiable advices. Yes tank size is really 3.2x0.34x0.45m with 1cm ultraclear glass. I'm architect, so sketching, drawing and scaling is not my weak sides (if i can say so
1.i plan to reduce the weight of big rocks, by making them almost empty from invisible side
2. Do i need co2? or there is another way?
3. I want to make some cracks in cave's floor flat rock, red light will comming up from them like lava. Is this possible?
4. Aalso some fog/smoke in cave to achieve red ,,godray'' like efect. What i need for it? How to achieve smoke in water? 🙂
5. I want to add some rare cristal ilends inside cave' walls. Which cristals can i use?
That's the main questions i have. Also sorry for my english and thank you once again
I'll try to address each point.

1. If you can be successful in hollowing out the rocks, that will make a huge difference in terms of weight and support needed.

2. CO2 needs are dependent on several things. Level of lighting, plant selection, use of fertilizers. In a high energy system CO2 is pretty much necessary in some form. For a 150gal tank you will need a substantial CO2 bottle and probably a reactor.

3. This is possible with a cutout in the stand top and tank mat with a red LED light mounted underneath. This simplifies the electrical side, but you will have to keep substrate off the tank bottom in that area. Or you could mount a waterproofed LED in the cave.

4. This is out of my wheelhouse and I'm not really sure how to go about this. Maybe a Twinstar nano mounted in the cave would give that effect.

5. I have read that rare crystal use can cause some algae growth on the crystal, but I could be wrong! If I were to add them to my tank, I would clear coat them with an epoxy to seal them off from the water.

BTW, your English is very understandable!

-AM
Tengo likes this.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-11-2020, 06:17 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
What a fun tank and design.

On point 4, I think that you will likely find this difficult. If the tank has good circulation, you would probably just end up with a cloudy tank.
Tengo likes this.

“Science, my lad, is made up of mistakes, but they are mistakes which it is useful to make, because they lead little by little to the truth.” -Jules Verne
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-11-2020, 07:56 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thank you very much. Everything is clear yet 🙂
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-12-2020, 10:36 AM
Planted Member

For point 4 the best suggestion I could think of is the use of a fogger. It's really quite easy and think you could make something really cool out of that cave. Here's when I used that for my old nature style tank:

Tengo likes this.

24G long & shallow dragonrock Iwagumi
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

[Old] Long & shallow 24G: a
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
inspired by nature
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-12-2020, 02:09 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Is the fog in 4 supposed to be above the water or in the water?

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
Tengo likes this.

“Science, my lad, is made up of mistakes, but they are mistakes which it is useful to make, because they lead little by little to the truth.” -Jules Verne
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-13-2020, 05:05 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Both 🙂 i understan it will be two different systems
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-13-2020, 10:56 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Both 🙂 i understan it will be two different systems
Ok, I was referring to the underwater portion. Probably hard to do with good flow.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
Tengo likes this.

post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-14-2020, 12:47 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Flow

OK, now the main Problem FLOW.
Questions:
1. How far can Blower blows? or how far Filtered water distributed?
2. Can i split inflow and outflow tubes, so i can place them in different places?
3. what's your sugestions about V1 and V2 schemes of flow?
Thank you
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Scan.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	312.4 KB
ID:	902943  

post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-14-2020, 02:11 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (10/100%)
In the reef world closed-loop water circulation is used sometimes to minimize in-tank equipment (power heads). It’s not used much in the planted tank world because of size/complexity mostly. Your tank project is pretty ambitious however. The obvious problem with a closed loop is that there have to be holes in the bottom of your tank with bulkheads. For your needs, probably could get away with smaller well placed bulkheads to get the flow around your scape that you want.

Plastic, yuck!
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-14-2020, 02:28 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Long ago I had a 50 gallon African Cichlid (Mbuna) tank with medium sized rock cover the entire bottom of the tank. I made a PVC frame (3/4" pipe) to hold the rocks which create an upward slope. This drastically reduced the amount of rocks need. For cleaning, I just removed a couple rocks and could vacuum out debris under the pvc frame.

You could also use cellular PVC trim boards to create a platform for the rocks.

Bump: For circulation, any thoughts on just setting up a river flow: ie the water flows in one direction?
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-14-2020, 02:48 PM
Algae Grower

I'm not confident enough to tell you the best flow setup, but I do have a suggestion on the plants you have noted in the sketch. I would not use Java moss in this tank. It grows stringy and it can spread everywhere if you are not careful while trimming. A hairgrass will probably be a better choice for this portion of the tank. Also, the marimo moss on the ground might be hard to keep down. HC Cuba is a low growing carpeting plant that has small leaves that a lot of people use to establish scale.

-AM

Tags
aquascapind, beginner, sketch

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode