Going Dutch, going nuts! - The Planted Tank Forum
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By wbasso

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old 08-30-2020, 03:10 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Going Dutch, going nuts!

Hello folks. Just new to this forum. Although I've been reading a lot of it in the last few years and feel like it is time to be part of the family.
Thanks for having me here. English is not my first language so... my apologies in advance if I butcher some words.

Nothing better than start in a forum dropping a question.

Don't ask me how but I ended up with 21 different species of stem plants and you know what they say: stem plants mean DUTCH!

A part of being really excited and reading a lot about the style I realise it is way harder than it looks like, especially regards to the distribution of the plants. I know having 20+ species doesn't help and I shouldn't be doing this but hell yeah! We only live once.

Below is the list of what I've got and what I am thinking for positioning it on my 4ft aquarium in a 3:2 ratio. I'll be using pressurised CO2, Fluval 3.0 lights and Oliver Knott's Aqualat + Aquaearth substrate, dosing LCA Advanced Red liquid fertiliser (It's a high-quality all-in-one type fertiliser you can find here in Australia). Also putting some root tabs when setting up the substrate.

Foreground
Hydrocotyle Tripartita Japan
Staurogyne Repens
Rotala Mexicana Goias
Hygrophila Pinnatifida
Lobelia Cardinalis (street)
Monosolenium Tenerum
Glossostigma Elatinoides

Midground
Ammannia Capitellata
Alternanthera Reineckii Mini
Proserpinaca Palustris
Mayaca Fluviatilis
Bacopa Monnieri
Rotala Colorata
Rotala Rotundifolia

Background
Limnophila Sessiflora
Alternanthera Reineckii
Ludwigia Palustris Super Red
Myriophyllum Matogrossense
Ammania Gracilis
Hygrophila Polisperma
Ludwigia Repens

My main questions are:

1) Am I getting it right in relation to the terraces (back, mid and foreground)?

2) Which plants I should put close to each other to achieve a rich composition and not a bland/too organised and boring setup?

3) Which plants should I use as a focal point? remembering that I'll be using a 3:2 ratio in a concave composition.

4) Harlequin Rasboras is my first option as I like the way they school but I've read that Cardinal Tetras are recommended as blue is a colour that lacks in this kind of style and C tetras are a great complement. I've never had cardinal tetras, how's their schooling behave? Are they hardy fish or prone to all sort of problems like the neon tetras?

I am not worried about trimming as I really enjoy doing it. Yeah, I know that was the first thing you had in mind while reading this post but for me is therapeutic and I am looking for to jump out of the bed 4 am twice a week for a good trimming session.

I'd really appreciate your input on this. Please help a "Dutch Style noob" out.
Alyssa and Econde like this.

Tags
aquascaping, cardinal tetra, dutch style, harlequin rasboras, stem plants

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode