The Planted Tank Forum banner

Hardscape review

4K views 13 replies 7 participants last post by  sudhirr 
#1 ·
Folks,

Attempting a concave setup on a 50 cm tank. Setup the substrate and hardscape. Hardscape is branch wood (mix types) and dragon stone. Feedback is welcome.

Planning carpet of Monte Carlo in the foreground should 1.5 inches of substrate height be sufficient. Have soil powder left for topping another may be one inch.

See less See more
#6 ·
Thanks for your comment. Valid point. I did one revision to add few additional rocks already, but mostly in the mid ground and background.

The foreground I want the plants to cover in a lush carpet. Want that look. Mid ground planning Staurogyrene repens, AR mini and epiphytes.

Rocks being visible will also depend on two factors:
1. The substrate from the rear would gradually start sliding towards the front - tried my best to block all points with rock work and blocked gaps with filter sponge.
2. As the plants grow out, keep comparing with the original scape picture for trimming and maintenance. Hopefully I would be able to keep up.

Bump:
It looks great to me
Following along. I think it looks nice! I’m a newbie so I can’t really give you advice. But so far it looks real good in my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks for your comments.

#8 ·
Looks nice but to echo what's been said already, I think most of the dragon rock will be covered once the carpet fills in. In my experience about 3-4 cm of the bottom of the stones will be covered so try and picture that when scaping. I expected gaps to occur where the stones where placed but at least smaller stones will be simply covered by the carpet, HC in my case.

#9 ·
Thanks for your comments. If I take the 3-4 cms height of the carpet then 2-3 pieces of dragon rock in the foreground would be completely covered. I have already glued the rocks and the driftwood so only option is to add more rocks to raise the height. I have some more rocks but I have tried doing the placement and somehow it did not fit. The pieces I was adding now are hiding the views of the rocks in the Midground.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#10 · (Edited)
Yup, I've made the same mistake myself so just looking out for you, better to hear it now before planting than seeing it happen in a few months. If you don't want to break up the pieces you've glued already maybe you could try and stick some spare stones under instead, like a fake bottom.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.