• 1 Post By platipus
  • 1 Post By sudhirr

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-02-2020, 04:20 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Hardscape review

Folks,

Attempting a concave setup on a 50 cm tank. Setup the substrate and hardscape. Hardscape is branch wood (mix types) and dragon stone. Feedback is welcome.

Planning carpet of Monte Carlo in the foreground should 1.5 inches of substrate height be sufficient. Have soil powder left for topping another may be one inch.
Econde likes this.

External links aren't permitted - please stop adding the link when we remove it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-02-2020, 11:11 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

The hard scape is done. The plants are at least 3-4 days away. Should I keep the tank covered with a cling film? Pls advise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-02-2020, 03:44 PM
Algae Grower

Following along. I think it looks nice! Iím a newbie so I canít really give you advice. But so far it looks real good in my opinion.

sudhirr likes this.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-03-2020, 12:10 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

I like the look a lot. The only thing to think about is that you might want to expose more of the rock if you want it to remain visible when your plants grow in.

My Tank Journal:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-03-2020, 12:28 AM
Algae Grower

It looks great to me
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-03-2020, 05:10 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcidGambit View Post
I like the look a lot. The only thing to think about is that you might want to expose more of the rock if you want it to remain visible when your plants grow in.
Thanks for your comment. Valid point. I did one revision to add few additional rocks already, but mostly in the mid ground and background.

The foreground I want the plants to cover in a lush carpet. Want that look. Mid ground planning Staurogyrene repens, AR mini and epiphytes.

Rocks being visible will also depend on two factors:
1. The substrate from the rear would gradually start sliding towards the front - tried my best to block all points with rock work and blocked gaps with filter sponge.
2. As the plants grow out, keep comparing with the original scape picture for trimming and maintenance. Hopefully I would be able to keep up.

Bump:
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatblonde View Post
It looks great to me
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hector_Hinojosa View Post
Following along. I think it looks nice! Iím a newbie so I canít really give you advice. But so far it looks real good in my opinion.

Thanks for your comments.
Econde, fatblonde and platipus like this.

post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-09-2020, 03:33 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudhirr View Post
Thanks for your comment. Valid point. I did one revision to add few additional rocks already, but mostly in the mid ground and background.

The foreground I want the plants to cover in a lush carpet. Want that look. Mid ground planning Staurogyrene repens, AR mini and epiphytes.

Rocks being visible will also depend on two factors:
1. The substrate from the rear would gradually start sliding towards the front - tried my best to block all points with rock work and blocked gaps with filter sponge.
2. As the plants grow out, keep comparing with the original scape picture for trimming and maintenance. Hopefully I would be able to keep up.

Bump:

Very nice. Subscribed for the results.

This has many similarities to my first build I am working on. I'm in the process of choosing plants now for my order. Can't wait to see yours progress!!
sudhirr likes this.

17 Gal Lifegard (23.5x12x14.5)
Fluval 107 - Fluval Plant 3.0 - Hydor Inline 200W - Bettatail Reg/Inline CO2
Fluval Stratum/CaribSea Eco-Complete
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-09-2020, 04:17 PM
Planted Member

Looks nice but to echo what's been said already, I think most of the dragon rock will be covered once the carpet fills in. In my experience about 3-4 cm of the bottom of the stones will be covered so try and picture that when scaping. I expected gaps to occur where the stones where placed but at least smaller stones will be simply covered by the carpet, HC in my case.

24G long & shallow dragonrock Iwagumi
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

[Old] Long & shallow 24G: a
inspired by nature
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-09-2020, 05:58 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Thanks for your comments. If I take the 3-4 cms height of the carpet then 2-3 pieces of dragon rock in the foreground would be completely covered. I have already glued the rocks and the driftwood so only option is to add more rocks to raise the height. I have some more rocks but I have tried doing the placement and somehow it did not fit. The pieces I was adding now are hiding the views of the rocks in the Midground.

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-09-2020, 07:49 PM
Planted Member

Quote:
Thanks for your comments. If I take the 3-4 cms height of the carpet then 2-3 pieces of dragon rock in the foreground would be completely covered. I have already glued the rocks and the driftwood so only option is to add more rocks to raise the height. I have some more rocks but I have tried doing the placement and somehow it did not fit. The pieces I was adding now are hiding the views of the rocks in the Midground.

Yup, I've made the same mistake myself so just looking out for you, better to hear it now before planting than seeing it happen in a few months. If you don't want to break up the pieces you've glued already maybe you could try and stick some spare stones under instead, like a fake bottom.

24G long & shallow dragonrock Iwagumi

[Old] Long & shallow 24G: a
inspired by nature

Last edited by Hujeta; 08-10-2020 at 03:22 AM. Reason: Punctuation
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-10-2020, 01:39 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hujeta View Post
Yup, I've made the same mistake myself so just looking out for you, better to hear it now before planting than seeing it happen in a few months. If you don't want to break up the pieces you've glued already maybe you could try and stick some spare stones under what's been glued already and raise the stones that's in the danger zone a couple of centimeters to avoid this, almost like a fake bottom.

Thanks. Let me try it out. Need some very careful selection of rocks with size that does not hide the mid ground and pattern that matches the stones in the foreground. It will be a fun activity.

Hujeta likes this.

post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-23-2020, 01:26 PM
Algae Grower

I love it

Quote:
Folks,

Attempting a concave setup on a 50 cm tank. Setup the substrate and hardscape. Hardscape is branch wood (mix types) and dragon stone. Feedback is welcome.

Planning carpet of Monte Carlo in the foreground should 1.5 inches of substrate height be sufficient. Have soil powder left for topping another may be one inch.
Bump: I love it

Quote:
Folks,

post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-30-2020, 07:29 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Planted. Itís going to finish the third week. Good amount of green hair algae in the tank. Still tweeting the co2 output for the lighting intensity.

Last edited by Darkblade48; 08-30-2020 at 08:54 PM. Reason: Please use the edit function for back to back posts to keep threads cleaner

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode