• 2 Post By Asteroid
  • 4 Post By Seattle_Aquarist

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-31-2020, 02:03 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
No large stones in my Seiryu shipment

Hi everyone,

I have a question RE: hardscape that I need opinions on. Iím going to be moving and rescaping my 125G tank, and decided on Seiryu Stone. I bought 180 lbs of stone, and made very specific notes to the seller that I needed at least 2-3 very large stones in order to create an aquascape in a tank this large. I would have thought that this was possible with the size of the order I was placing. I just received my shipment yesterday, and there was nothing in the boxes over 10Ē in any dimension, and most stones were under 6". Is this normal for Seiryu stone? Did I make a mistake, and this is normally just a smaller stone?

Iím not going to say which company I bought it from because Iíve sent a request for them to work with me to make it right. I donít want to give them a black eye if they can fix the problem. Iíve worked with this company several times in the past, and their customer service is normally top notch.

My question is more with the stone, and if I would be unreasonable to ask for a return if they canít get larger stones for me. Is this just par for the course for Seiryu Stone, or should I have expected a few large pieces in my shipment?

If you ever think you're too small to make a difference, spend a couple of nights sleeping with a mosquito.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-31-2020, 03:02 PM
Planted Tank Guru

I've ordered pallets of Seiryu Stone and rarely do I get any larger than 10"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2 Foot Rimless Tank - Under Construction

post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-31-2020, 03:06 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (66/100%)
Hi @jellopuddinpop,

Historically most of the Seiryu Stone (actually Ying Stone from Guangzhou in Southern China since Japan no longer allows the export of stone from the Seiryu district of Japan) was used for Bonsai arrangements and the common size of stones needed are 6" - 8" at the largest. I have a source locally that brings in stone direct from China and I have never seen large sizes in the huge wooden bins they import. You could use some clear silicone to 'glue' several pieces together and possibly achieve a better look than a large piece of natural stone. Keep in mind that Seiryu / Ying stone is a type of limestone and will increase the dKH, dGH, and calcium ppm level in an aquarium so regular water changes are important. Hope this helps!

Roy_________

75 Gallon, 2X55W AH Supply CF 8800K, 1X 59W Fluval Plant (3.0); 45 Gallon Tall, 1X 46W Fluval Plant (3.0); 30 Gallon Long; Fluval F&P 2.0; 20 Gallon, 1X26W AH Supply LED; all with CO2 & (Calcined) Montmorillonite Clay

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-31-2020, 03:09 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattle_Aquarist View Post
Hi @jellopuddinpop,

Historically most of the Seiryu Stone (actually Ying Stone from Guangzhou in Southern China since Japan no longer allows the export of stone from the Seiryu district of Japan) was used for Bonsai arrangements and the common size of stones needed are 6" - 8" at the largest. I have a source locally that brings in stone direct from China and I have never seen large sizes in the huge wooden bins they import. You could use some clear silicone to 'glue' several pieces together and possibly achieve a better look than a large piece of natural stone. Keep in mind that Seiryu / Ying stone is a type of limestone and will increase the dKH, dGH, and calcium ppm level in an aquarium so regular water changes are important. Hope this helps!
Thank you for the information. On the one hand, I'm glad my supplier didn't just ship me junk. On the other hand, I wish that they had told me in advance that they couldn't satisfy my request for big stones.

As far as the water changes, I'm well prepared. I do 50% water changes weekly.

Bump:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asteroid View Post
I've ordered pallets of Seiryu Stone and rarely do I get any larger than 10"
Thank you for the info. I wish my supplier had told me that larger stones weren't available, but at least they didn't just ship me small rocks on purpose.

If you ever think you're too small to make a difference, spend a couple of nights sleeping with a mosquito.

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-03-2020, 06:39 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (16/100%)
Where does one order large quantities of stone? I can only find the smaller pieces on Amazon for 17lbs, or 5 and 10 lb increments from random online retailers.

55 gal heavy planted low tech south American tank
38 gal bow front live bearer tank
20 gal Marineland led brackish puffer tank
14 gal cf newly planted
10 gal Marineland led low tech low light
10 gal Marineland led qt tank
6 gal snail breeder
5 gal fluval chi dust collector
3 gal beta tank
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-03-2020, 07:30 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by pantherspawn View Post
Where does one order large quantities of stone? I can only find the smaller pieces on Amazon for 17lbs, or 5 and 10 lb increments from random online retailers.
PM sent

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-03-2020, 11:18 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
it's sold in those increments because it fits in a flat rate USPS box. If it doesn't fit and the seller has to use a regular box the shipping fees would be more than the cost of the rocks.

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-03-2020, 11:35 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (52/100%)
Quote:
Some online retailers such as BucePLant and Glass Aqua that sell stone for $2.50 - $3.00 per pound factor the shipping costs into the per pound price and then charge a really small "shipping charge." I bought 150 lbs of seiryu from Buceplant earlier in the year when they had a sale and the shipping charge was under $10. Out of curiosity, I just added 300 lbs into my cart and the shipping charge is $8.50.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-03-2020, 11:41 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff5614 View Post
Some online retailers such as BucePLant and Glass Aqua that sell stone for $2.50 - $3.00 per pound factor the shipping costs into the per pound price and then charge a really small "shipping charge." I bought 150 lbs of seiryu from Buceplant earlier in the year when they had a sale and the shipping charge was under $10. Out of curiosity, I just added 300 lbs into my cart and the shipping charge is $8.50.
What was the cost per pound with the 300 lb order and how was it being shipped?

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-04-2020, 04:58 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (52/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asteroid View Post
What was the cost per pound with the 300 lb order and how was it being shipped?
$2.69 per pound including the $8.50 and I'm assuming priority mail, thirty pounds per box, if it ships the same as mine did.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-04-2020, 12:21 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff5614 View Post
$2.69 per pound including the $8.50 and I'm assuming priority mail, thirty pounds per box, if it ships the same as mine did.
OK so they're sending it in multiple priority mail boxes, probably flat rate. Each box could be anywhere from $7 - $20 shipping cost, so for 10 boxes of stone $70 to $200 they're eating minus the $8.50. I guess if you order enough they can do that since there's enough margin from the wholesale price.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode