7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-13-2020, 10:26 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jellopuddinpop View Post
Hi everyone,

I have a question RE: hardscape that I need opinions on. Iím going to be moving and rescaping my 125G tank, and decided on Seiryu Stone. I bought 180 lbs of stone, and made very specific notes to the seller that I needed at least 2-3 very large stones in order to create an aquascape in a tank this large. I would have thought that this was possible with the size of the order I was placing. I just received my shipment yesterday, and there was nothing in the boxes over 10Ē in any dimension, and most stones were under 6". Is this normal for Seiryu stone? Did I make a mistake, and this is normally just a smaller stone?

Iím not going to say which company I bought it from because Iíve sent a request for them to work with me to make it right. I donít want to give them a black eye if they can fix the problem. Iíve worked with this company several times in the past, and their customer service is normally top notch.

My question is more with the stone, and if I would be unreasonable to ask for a return if they canít get larger stones for me. Is this just par for the course for Seiryu Stone, or should I have expected a few large pieces in my shipment?
Most of the great aquascapes that I see on YouTube are made by gluing a number of smaller stones together. In a way it gives you more flexibility and creative options. With a bit of ingenuity I am sure that you will get a great outcome...

Here is a remarkable example.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-13-2020, 10:27 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvand5 View Post
Did you actually get 37lbs or 21lbs? They list 37 lbs as the shipping weight but 21lbs as the product weight. Seems confusing.
Giving a little thought to how and what it takes to ship really dense things like rock may help as it does go different than things that are less dense or have no sharp points. Rocks tend to be hard to ship because they do take more care and heavy weight packaging to keep them from tearing the package apart. So the difference may simply be the wooden crate it takes to ship the rock?

When thinking of using a strong acid, I now use an item called "Acid Magic" instead of the real thing and find it does wonders without lots of the downside and hazards.
https://www.wildwestpoolsupplies.com...RoCKjEQAvD_BwE
post #18 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-14-2020, 01:31 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlantedRich View Post
Quote:
Did you actually get 37lbs or 21lbs? They list 37 lbs as the shipping weight but 21lbs as the product weight. Seems confusing.
Giving a little thought to how and what it takes to ship really dense things like rock may help as it does go different than things that are less dense or have no sharp points. Rocks tend to be hard to ship because they do take more care and heavy weight packaging to keep them from tearing the package apart. So the difference may simply be the wooden crate it takes to ship the rock? <a href="https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/images/PlantedTank_net_2015/smilies/tango_face_wink.png" border="0" alt="" title="Wink" >:-)</a>

When thinking of using a strong acid, I now use an item called "Acid Magic" instead of the real thing and find it does wonders without lots of the downside and hazards.
https://www.wildwestpoolsupplies.com...RoCKjEQAvD_BwE
They don’t ship in a crate apparently. I was reading a few of the questions on the listing and the seller says he sends anywhere from 23 pounds up to 37 pounds. Seems a little odd to not have a standard weight when you charge a set price.

post #19 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-14-2020, 02:15 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
They donít ship in a crate apparently. I was reading a few of the questions on the listing and the seller says he sends anywhere from 23 pounds up to 37 pounds. Seems a little odd to not have a standard weight when you charge a set price.
That is very odd since they purchase by weight not number of stones. You can easily ship those weights in USPS flat rate boxes, which are far cheaper than going by the actual weight.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2 Foot Rimless Tank - Under Construction

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #20 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-14-2020, 02:30 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Yes, sounds like they fit as many stones in the box as space allows and do not worry the point of how much weight as it costs the same to ship. It is often true that smaller lots more smaller stone can be packed in the same space to weight more than larger stones which may weight less due to the open space left between the stone.
I find this true in buying large landscape rocks where we buy it by the pound but when choosing, we fill a large container. We often think the container is full but when we weight to pay pre pound it may be less than when we pick smaller rocks which fit together tighter.
post #21 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-14-2020, 05:54 PM
Algae Grower

Try contacting Houston Manzanita, they can get stones that are 10-12". I exchanged a few notes with them and they can send pictures of the stones before completing the sale. https://houstonmanzanita.com/

Ultimately I bought my seiryu locally from Aqua Forest Aquarium in San Francisco. The two largest pieces I have are 11.5". You might want to try calling them to see if they have anything larger. https://aquaforestaquarium.com/ After buying the rocks in store and arriving home, we realized we needed extra small stones for filler and shaping. I ordered a 5 lb bag of extra small stones from them and they shipped very quickly.

I had thought about gluing these larger pieces to other stones to build them up but due to the weight of the stone there is a concern that the glue will not hold and the rocks will come apart and damage the tank glass. In addition, the seiryu we have does not have many flat surface areas which appear to be one of the conditions for gluing larger pieces together.
post #22 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-14-2020, 08:26 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (52/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by misterdom View Post
...After buying the rocks in store and arriving home, we realized we needed extra small stones for filler and shaping...
That's a good point. If you end up with too many larger stones you can break them up. Using myself as an example, I ordered 150 pounds of seiryu and let the seller know the tank size and that I would like a few larger pieces, but of course wanted a good variety in size. Most of what I received were of the larger size which I thought was great until I started placing them in the tank and realized I could use more smaller stones for filling and shaping as mentioned above, not to mention propping up larger stones. So I had to get out the sledge hammer which worked well making smaller stones from the larger ones.
post #23 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-16-2020, 12:21 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Definitely more like 37 pounds. Yes I noticed the 21lbs too before I bought but some folks answered that they got 37 (or so).

Bump:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff5614 View Post
A muriatic acid bath will darken them more, but be sure to read up on it. Bubbling acid, fumes, etc. can be a bit hazardous.
I'm not sure that is the case. I am not a chemist but as far as I can tell, acid simply dissolves anything on the outside of the rock where new carbonate/calcium mineral deposits obviously end up that then obscure the full color of the base rock. It does not "stain" the stone in anyway. So the end color is whatever is beneath the mineralized outer layer of the stone. I think a vinegar soak for hours is the same as a muriatic acid soak for minutes. And online, everyone doing the muriatic acid soak makes a huge ugly foaming mess. So I can wait a few hours or overnight for vinegar to do its thing than bother with toxic foaming chems.

I did order some 40% vinegar (8x concentrated vinegar - 40% acid) on Amazon. That works faster than regular vinegar and is actually more cost effective. What I found is that after a certain amount of time, the stones get no darker. For the stones I got on Amazon, that was about 2-4 hours. Some stones had more deposits on them and I let them go until I got a grey rock with stark white veins through it and a few streaks of brown and green. Again, I think it just takes you to the base coloration of the stone removing the most recent carbonate minerals that obscure the full color.

Last edited by ahem; 08-16-2020 at 12:53 AM. Reason: clarity
post #24 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-16-2020, 12:45 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
They donít ship in a crate apparently. I was reading a few of the questions on the listing and the seller says he sends anywhere from 23 pounds up to 37 pounds. Seems a little odd to not have a standard weight when you charge a set price.
They shrink wrap each rock in plastic and my order came double boxed. Stones were in a tough inner box, which was then inside an Amazon box.

This picture is (2) kits ~ $110 in stone. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

They call them "25G" for "25 Gallon" kits. So I think that is how they get around publishing an exact weight. The second kit I did not really get a "large" stone. Just extra mediums. Doesn't matter to me as I am probably making a rock mound kind of scape.

These have all been acid washed.
Click image for larger version

Name:	Amazon LifegardAquatics 25G Smoky Smoky Mountain rock kit.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	413.1 KB
ID:	902031

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode