How do we all do this frustrating task? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-22-2020, 02:27 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
How do we all do this frustrating task?

What methods do people use to collect trimmings after a trim, especially of a carpet, Iím finding it very frustrating to collect them all.

I find it all gets stuck to the glass & I can never get it all.

Iíve tried a net, comb, toothbrush, algae pad, kitchen roll, Iím at wits end here, help!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-22-2020, 07:58 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by BS3915 View Post
What methods do people use to collect trimmings after a trim, especially of a carpet, Iím finding it very frustrating to collect them all.

Iíve tried a net, comb, toothbrush, algae pad, kitchen roll, Iím at wits end here, help!

I am just getting started so probably should be the last person giving any advice. That being said, somewhere in the more-than-I-can-count videos I've watched I think someone showed a good water change as the perfect opportunity to clean up trimmings.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-22-2020, 11:41 PM
Planted Member

You can also use a plug-in surface skimmer temporarily while it collects everything (assuming your carpet trimmings float).

My Tank Journal:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-23-2020, 06:23 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BS3915 View Post

If you have foating plants pull any you want to keep out before doing the trimming.

When you trim it all floats up, use a net to get everything you can.

Then do a water change most of the remaining will cling to the sides.

Use a paper towel (I guess kitchen roll?) to clean them off the glass.

Use net again.

Refill tank.

Use net again.

Tada.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-31-2020, 02:12 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I turn off anything thatís going to create water movement, as well as my CO2 before starting. After trimming everything, I use a wet/dry to suck up everything thatís floating on the surface. After that, Iíll wave through the rest of my plants, in between the hardscape, along the glass, etc to be sure there are no more clippings stuck, and then wet/dry vac again. Once Iím done with that, I do my water change and fire everything back up. If I see more clippings come to the surface, just vacuum it again and refill.

It should go without saying that this is a bad method if you have tiny fish that like to hang along the surface like guppies.

If you ever think you're too small to make a difference, spend a couple of nights sleeping with a mosquito.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode