• 1 Post By EBoneCapone
  • 1 Post By Asteroid
  • 1 Post By Hujeta

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-19-2020, 12:21 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (17/100%)
Two peak scape suggestions

Setting up a 60p sized tank. Using Ohko stone cause I have these really nice big, dramatic pieces. I want to do a sort of two peak type of scape. This will not be iwagumi style as I want stems to balance the height of the rocks in addition to carpeting plants. There is space both behind and between all the stones for planting.

Initial thoughts for changes are to alter the height of the large right stone so that it's lower than the left one. Other option is to swap the largest left and right stones.

Any comments or suggestions on layout of the stones would be appreciated.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Latest tank setup July 2020
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Torn down:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
-
-
-
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-19-2020, 01:40 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

Both sides are dominant, you would want one side to be sub domaint. Can try removing the biggest stone from the right side?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-19-2020, 02:28 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Thank you for the comment, sudhirr. I would agree your suggestion would make the scape more "traditional" with a single focal point, but what I'm going for is unorthodox.

I have already sunk the right stone into the soil more so it is lower than the left in attempt to have it compliment the other peak as opposed to compete with it. However, my idea with this scape is to specifically have two points of interest. So I would like to intentionally have two peaks as dominant features. I may try replacing the smaller stone on the front right with a larger one to offset the size a bit as well.

Torn down:
-
-
-
-

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-19-2020, 05:51 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Altered things as the more I looked at it the less I liked the split focus. I still want to capture the twin peaks idea, but needed to consolidate things.

The two dominant stones are now situated on the same side and the split between the two peaks is at a focal point. Then other smaller stones are situated to soften it up a bit.
First pic is front view, then view from left side, and finally view from my kitchen.
I actually like the side angled views more than straight on, haha
Again any comments are welcome.

Torn down:
-
-
-
-
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-19-2020, 05:54 AM
Planted Member

Impressive. One suggestion can you align the second tallest stone along with pattern of the other smaller stones on the left hand side? To do this you will have to tilt this stone to the right.

On second thoughts I think you could leave it as is.
ChemGuyEthan likes this.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-19-2020, 06:23 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Yeah I see what you're saying. I did try to line up the patterns, but it's hard to do so sometimes, haha. I'll see if I can adjust it a bit more. Thanks for the feedback.

Torn down:
-
-
-
-
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-19-2020, 07:15 AM
Planted Member

As I told you, itís already looking very impressive.

ChemGuyEthan likes this.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-19-2020, 07:35 AM
Algae Grower

I think the newer scape is quite an improvement, it looks great and the focal point between the peaks really attracts the eye. Looking forward to seeing more.
ChemGuyEthan likes this.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-19-2020, 08:23 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
Since your looking for feedback, I would get rid of those little pieces you don't need them, they actually distract from the main pieces and make it a cleaner look with just 3 stones (always odd number for Iwagumi.)

I would move the whole thing over to the left a little and slope (mound up) the substrate to the focal point. It will look much more natural that way.
ChemGuyEthan likes this.

2 Foot Rimless Tank - Under Construction

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-20-2020, 06:16 PM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChemGuyEthan View Post

I personally like this particular angle the most, and depending on the intended viewing angle perhaps it could be an idea to rotate the whole scape a tad to have this angle when viewed perpendiculary from the front? Just a small thing that perhaps gives you an idea, to keep the scape as is but move it around a bit. Looks good!
ChemGuyEthan likes this.

24G long & shallow dragonrock Iwagumi

[Old] Long & shallow 24G: a
inspired by nature
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-20-2020, 10:32 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Thank you all for the comments. I've reshaped the soil a bit to it slopes much more to the back and right where the rocks are placed. And I did end up removing the two smaller stones in the front as Asteroid suggested. I will also rotate the rocks a bit so the front perspective matches a little more with the left side angle as that too was my favored one.

Unfortunately I now have to rush to set this up because the plants I ordered shipped, arrived, and sat in my leasing office over the weekend and I was never notified by the company that my order had even been fulfilled yet. So I was taking my time with the scape but now I have some semi melted plants to try to coax back to life... I'll have a journal about this tank eventually.

Thanks again for the input everyone.

Torn down:
-
-
-
-
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-30-2020, 02:33 AM
Planted Member

Any new updates/pics.

post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-31-2020, 04:10 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudhirr View Post
Any new updates/pics.
Yep, finally started a tank journal here.

Torn down:
-
-
-
-

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode