• 1 Post By 808style
  • 1 Post By 808style
  • 1 Post By CoffeeFish

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-21-2020, 06:42 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
12 Gallon Long Aquascape

This is my first attempt at seriously trying to create a really nice aquascape and I'm looking for some feedback/suggestions on how to improve on what I have so far. This tank is so narrow (Dimensions: 35.4" x 8.3" x 9.4") it's been challenging trying to create a sense of depth in it. I'm going for an Iwagumi style and will try to carpet it with HC or Monte Carlo. Please let me know what you think.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	12 gallon long scape 2.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	197.2 KB
ID:	900123  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-27-2020, 02:10 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
I love it just the way it is ! Carpeted with Monte Carlo that's going to look AWESOME !!
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-28-2020, 12:40 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCombra View Post
I love it just the way it is ! Carpeted with Monte Carlo that's going to look AWESOME !!
Appreciate the feedback! It's been sitting like this for about a week and I haven't had the urge to tweak it yet...
JCombra likes this.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-04-2020, 06:46 PM

Actually I think that looks pretty good as-is. No matter what you change you're always going to think of something you could have done different. Commit and enjoy.
I had never even heard of a 12 gallon long until just now.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-06-2020, 04:59 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Made a few minor tweaks and tried to increase the slope on the left a little bit more. Not totally confident it'll hold up during planting and flooding but we shall see.

Bump:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayRowe View Post
Actually I think that looks pretty good as-is. No matter what you change you're always going to think of something you could have done different. Commit and enjoy.
I had never even heard of a 12 gallon long until just now.
I appreciate the feedback and sound advice! You are so right, at some point I have to just commit and enjoy!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	12 gallon long scape 3.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	180.0 KB
ID:	900619  

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-07-2020, 12:57 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
I think you did a nice job. I have the same tank. If your looking for feedback one thing I noticed (kinda a nitpick) depending on how into this you are, that the main rock on the right is not angular like the ones on the left. It looks more like a dome shape (unless it's the pic). You also have smaller rocks around it's base and on the left all rocks are blended better with the substrate. The arrangement looks more natural on the left.

I would move the main rock on the right into the substrate more and have a more angular side pointed toward the group on the left without the smaller rocks right up against it. Just the way I see it, otherwise very nice.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2 Foot Rimless Tank - Under Construction

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-08-2020, 03:18 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asteroid View Post
I think you did a nice job. I have the same tank. If your looking for feedback one thing I noticed (kinda a nitpick) depending on how into this you are, that the main rock on the right is not angular like the ones on the left. It looks more like a dome shape (unless it's the pic). You also have smaller rocks around it's base and on the left all rocks are blended better with the substrate. The arrangement looks more natural on the left.

I would move the main rock on the right into the substrate more and have a more angular side pointed toward the group on the left without the smaller rocks right up against it. Just the way I see it, otherwise very nice.
Thank you for your feedback, it is much appreciated! I agree with you, I'm not really in love with the right side and I've been struggling to figure out how to scape it with the materials I have. I bought a bulk pack of stones online so I'm kinda stuck trying to make whatever random stones I got work. This is what I'm working with on the right.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	right side 1.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	191.8 KB
ID:	900705  

Name:	right side 2.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	250.7 KB
ID:	900707  

Name:	right side 3.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	198.0 KB
ID:	900709  

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-20-2020, 06:23 PM
Planted Member

I think your work so far looks really great. I'm looking to redo my 24g long and this was a really good source of inspiration. The left part is especially nice, but would agree with your thoughts already that the right side could benefit from some more tweaking. Again it's really good, it's just to really bring it up another 2%. You're more talented in scaping than I am, but I think what bothers me a little bit with the right side is that the lower 4 stones are horizontal whilst the other stones (including left side) is vertically oriented. Just sharing my thoughts in case you find it helpful in locating where to focus.

24G long & shallow dragonrock Iwagumi

[Old] Long & shallow 24G: a
inspired by nature
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-21-2020, 07:28 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hujeta View Post
I think your work so far looks really great. I'm looking to redo my 24g long and this was a really good source of inspiration. The left part is especially nice, but would agree with your thoughts already that the right side could benefit from some more tweaking. Again it's really good, it's just to really bring it up another 2%. You're more talented in scaping than I am, but I think what bothers me a little bit with the right side is that the lower 4 stones are horizontal whilst the other stones (including left side) is vertically oriented. Just sharing my thoughts in case you find it helpful in locating where to focus.
I appreciate the kind words and your honest critique! You and Asteroid both helped reaffirm that the right side didn't quite look right.

I toyed around a bit more and came up with what I think will be the final hardscape for now...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	12 gallon long scape 4.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	186.0 KB
ID:	901163  

Discusluv likes this.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-22-2020, 10:38 PM

I am debating on a 6 gallon long or a 12 gallon long.
I just love the panoramic view! Interested to see how this goes!
808style likes this.

Tags
12 gallon long, mr. aqua, mr. aqua 12 gallon long

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode