How to treat collected driftwood - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-17-2020, 12:26 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
How to treat collected driftwood

I have a couple of pieces of driftwood I wanted to put in my tank but just wondering the best way to prepare them before adding. They float so I値l have to attach to some sort of base. Also there are some softish spots where I can scrape or pick off wood with my nail, I was thinking about using a brass brush/wheel to sand down those areas and take off any loose material. I have already soaked in bleach water, but I知 not very concerned about infestations because they came from a saltwater beach. Any other recommendations?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-17-2020, 06:46 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Looks like you've done all I would do. Do expect to get some flak from folks about using bleach as it is common for that when mentioned. Too many who don't understand , so they are afraid of it! I do lots of wood and bleach is simply tap water with much more chlorine, so the chlorine gasses off if we give it a chance. Let it dry until the smell is gone and that means all the chlorine has gassed off and when it stops getting in your nose!
How much loose wood to remove, kind of depends on how much you feel it will be a problem to chase down if it does come loose and float around in the tank. Looks good enough from here.
For holding down, I like screwing tile to the bottom so that I can better choose the angle, etc. but that does need a drill and masonry bit to drill the holes. Other times a few rocks on top will do nicely to hold it.
Nice wood should never be left on the shore to rot!
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-18-2020, 11:05 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Great idea about screwing it to tile. That should make it very easy for me to position correctly. I think I値l take off the outer layer of wood with a good sanding, it seems like the softer wood parts would be more likely to rot or grow fungus or something like that. I値l post a pic when I get it all done.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-23-2020, 08:42 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

All done!

post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-24-2020, 06:34 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Looking good, there! Progress always makes me feel better----even if I tear it down next week for an even better idea! Don't pass up the opportunity to gain some space for plants by going vertical on the wood.
Looks like you have several plants that might be good for super gluing to the wood to get them higher, if that suits your idea.
I hate seeing some of the required stuff like filter in and out, so one way to hide it is to find hollow wood or make a notch to fit around or over stuff like that and then planting on the vertical of the wood, kind of like a screen of greenery.
CAREFUL:
This wood stuff becomes addictive!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	java fern myrio on new wood.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	159.1 KB
ID:	900207  

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode