2Likes
  • 1 Post By Tiger15
  • 1 Post By mossman77

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-16-2020, 10:37 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Lava rock or coarse gravel?

I need to build up the base of the rear half of my tank and lava rock sounds like a popular option. However, I'm wondering why plain old aquarium gravel wouldn't be a good option as well. Does it come down to weight and cost? I would put the lava rock or gravel in mesh bags for easier handing/positioning. It seems to me that gravel would give me more flexibility since it is much finer, but I'm not sure how much this actually matters since I'll be filling any voids with aquasoil anyhow. I like that the lava rock is light weight, but don't like that it's red in case things shift around and it starts to show (although I'll be using black mesh bags). On the other hand, I like that the gravel is black and more maneuverable, but it will add significant weight to an already heavy tank (I'll be using a bunch of elephant stone). Perhaps I could use a combination of both--lava rock to build up the higher areas and gravel for the lower areas. Thoughts?

• 60G low-tech planted acrylic elongated hexagon
  • 29G low-tech planted glass rectangle
  • 20G high-tech planted acrylic rectangle
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-16-2020, 01:41 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

I use larva rock to build height in the back of the tank for planting. Larva rock is light and the rough surfaces interlock tightly to make stable hill while providing habitats for cave dwelling fish beneath. I prefer carved rock that displace less volume and provide bigger caves. The porous surfaces provide firm rooting for epiphytes which can be used to hide potted plants placed up high to reach brighter light. Gravel hill is less stable with a tendency to slide back over time, and the volume it displaced is a net loss of habitat. Larva rock hill is stable, more versatile and maneurverable than gravel hill. A good alternative to larva rock is Lace Rock, which is light, rough and curved to make height and caves.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200130_063105.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	282.0 KB
ID:	899911  

Desert Pupfish likes this.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-16-2020, 03:52 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

I would be placing the lava rock and gravel in mesh bags, so they shouldn't move at all. I'll be using aquasoil on top.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-18-2020, 12:59 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

I've decided to do lava rock (in mesh bags) to build height with aquasoil on top, then plant heavily, then cap with an inch of pebbles to keep the geos away, aquasoil in place, and plants anchored until they root.
evil8 likes this.

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-21-2020, 06:57 AM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by mossman77 View Post
I've decided to do lava rock (in mesh bags) to build height with aquasoil on top, then plant heavily, then cap with an inch of pebbles to keep the geos away, aquasoil in place, and plants anchored until they root.
I like this idea and am thinking about doing the same thing to build height to support larger stones in my scape. Where did you get the mesh bags from?
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-21-2020, 08:55 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by 808style View Post
I like this idea and am thinking about doing the same thing to build height to support larger stones in my scape. Where did you get the mesh bags from?
Just get some fiberglass window screen and some epoxy and build your own. Nylon/polyester bags will breakdown. Fiberglass screen is good for decades. Just get cheap stuff with no UV coatings. Itís just a fiberglass mesh with a pvc coating. Make bags any shape you want, stack them and glue them together, even glue rocks on face to make terraces.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Phifer-4...-100391412-_-N

One of most useful products Iíve ever bought. Input strainers, media bags etc etc. you can make whatever you want.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-21-2020, 10:38 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveKS View Post
Just get some fiberglass window screen and some epoxy and build your own. Nylon/polyester bags will breakdown. Fiberglass screen is good for decades. Just get cheap stuff with no UV coatings. Itís just a fiberglass mesh with a pvc coating. Make bags any shape you want, stack them and glue them together, even glue rocks on face to make terraces.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Phifer-4...-100391412-_-N

One of most useful products Iíve ever bought. Input strainers, media bags etc etc. you can make whatever you want.
What a great idea, thanks!
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-22-2020, 06:28 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)
These are the mesh bags I use and lava rock.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Also the fine ones in the options are perfect for Purigen which I also use.

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-22-2020, 12:03 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by mossman77 View Post
A number of aquascapers used this approach to create forested or carpeted plateau, and I've seen magnificent scapes out of it. It's easier to maintain high carpet than carpet at the substrate level as it is closer to the light.

I am not a pure aquascaper but a cichlid keeper with plantscape. I leave my lava rock piles open for my cave dwelling cichlid to make home inside. The high ground allows me to attach epiphytes and hide potted plants on the rock.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	74A4AFFC-AA84-4F54-BBF3-A47A4E1F507C.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	289.5 KB
ID:	900159  

Name:	87F77556-7CAC-4C47-B3F5-41C255757E5E.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	346.4 KB
ID:	900161  

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode