• 1 Post By Subtlefly
  • 1 Post By Subtlefly

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-02-2020, 10:01 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Design ideas

Hi Team!

So the tank has been commissioned and paid for. Final dimensions are 900x400x200, rimless, 10mm PPG starphire glass, polished edges.

Now trying to think about design ideas

Idea 1 would be a 5 stone layout with a split or canyon between the main and second stone. This layout would attempt to play with the scale- seeming like a vast landscape.

Idea 2 uses larger stones and breaks the surface - I think the sense of scale would be changed here and would not seem so large - more like one mountain monolith.

Idea 3 brings the scale to 1:1 and uses some kind of tree roots to create a creek or river bottom.

What other ideas could work? I guess I will have to see as I try to find what kind of hardscape I can actually source.

Thanks for any and all input!
Have a great day
sub
Discusluv likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-02-2020, 03:12 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Welcome to TPT

The second drawing is the one I am most drawn to see as a layout.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Amy
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-03-2020, 02:49 PM
Wannabe Guru

Of the three designs you have, number 2 looks most appealing to me as well.

That said, what you have is a long shallow tank which I feel are particularly nice for emersed growth. If it were my tank I would build up one side so it actually pieces the waterline. Then grow marginal/emersed plants there. Plant the rocks below the waterline with epiphyte plants and put some low growing plants into substrate near the base (crypt parva, or hair grass if you don't mind the trimming). Everything else is decorative sand with a few smaller rocks here and there. Basically replicating a river bank with the riverbed being unplanted. A lot of empty negative space for a small fish species to swim in. Just my 2 cents.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-06-2020, 11:24 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Here is what it might start to look like with some locally sourced stone.. what do you think? Any ideas or suggestions?
Thanks all
sub
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-06-2020, 05:06 PM
Planted Tank Guru

I think that looks good. Maybe the left most rock a little more left and forward. I could see that with a carpet and tall hairgrass beyond it swaying in the direction the rocks are leaning.

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-13-2020, 08:34 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Here is the next version..

Still changing around the small stones - but what do you think about the big one coming out of the water? !!
doug105! likes this.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-14-2020, 10:00 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Ok team,
So I think this is getting close to a final layout plan- I like the texture of the big rock being on the surface, I think it stands out, the only downside is having the space on that side of the tank where the plain end will be under the substrate. Other weird thing is that for some reason I wanted to get the flow to run from left to right and now it is going to be right to left.. not sure if that makes any difference.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode