3Likes
  • 1 Post By jmontee
  • 1 Post By Blue Ridge Reef
  • 1 Post By PlantedRich

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-25-2020, 07:11 PM Thread Starter
A.K.A. Fish Room Bum

PTrader: (2/100%)
What type of wood do you like in your tank?

I'm looking for a pretty large piece or two. The tank is 72"L x 24"D x 30D" Something like what you see here, I wish I knew what type of wood this log is, it would be similar to what I'm looking to find:

Driftwood 'would' be a cool centerpiece. I'm not looking for Manzanita.

Likely I'll end up hunting down a piece and soaking it for a while. What type of wood am I looking to find that won't harm my livestock? I appreciate any suggestions. For example, Oak, Sycamore, Ash.

Thanks!

Fish Room Bum

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by DigityDog70; 04-26-2020 at 05:38 AM. Reason: .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-26-2020, 09:48 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (9/100%)
That looks like Malaysian driftwood to me. You can do some searched on ebay and make sure that it is a WYSIWYG type of sale. A lot of sellers will show pictures and then it says random pieces in the description. I actually got some amazing pieces many years ago on Ebay. You can also go to your local fish stores and search around till you find what you like. Please note that a large piece will be extremely expensive and I have found that getting smaller pieces that fit together makes for an easier aquascaping day.

Good luck!
DigityDog70 likes this.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-26-2020, 11:16 PM
snails are your friend

PTrader: (13/100%)
Zoo Med makes a spider wood "show" piece that's about 30" across and they're pretty good at cherry picking nice ones. Alternately, you could use aged oak, holly, or other non-oily woods (avoid pine, cedar, rhododendron, etc.).
DigityDog70 likes this.

Nothing good happens fast in an ecosystem.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-09-2020, 11:08 PM Thread Starter
A.K.A. Fish Room Bum

Here we go, for my 180 South American tank - currently in the works-:

I found a piece of cedar, cleaned that one up, got a little overzealous? That's the piece that looks "un-natural with the hollow section. I have a tendency to go overboard with my Dremel. I admit it.

I also found a piece of Walnut and the large branches are Modesto Ash. I'm going to try and clean them up and see if I've something to work with and the bugs haven't destroyed the wood too much.

I really should start a journal. It's just been taking so long.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-7472.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	459.1 KB
ID:	897995  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-10-2020, 01:48 AM
Planted Tank Guru

I might guess the first picture to be really old and dried totally cedar/ juniper, etc but that is not really easy to say without doing some drilling or cutting. I say cedar because most other trees don't start to branch that close to the ground, or they shed them as they grow. If the root ball was fully in the ground, that first branch on top came out somewhere around 2 feet high? They have the color bumped up pretty high as it makes the fish glow, so I would not trust the reddish color very much for ID. Cedar works fine for me but it has to be totally dry to avoid the sap.
Your mention of walnut might bring back some bad memories as a super nice piece of walnut was one item that I was never able to get to a point that it did not color the water. Might suggest testing it before doing to much to commit to using it. A bit of soaking, maybe?

Bump:
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-10-2020, 05:59 PM Thread Starter
A.K.A. Fish Room Bum

Thank you Rich, always a good to hear from you. I definitely plan to proceed with caution. That's good to hear about the cedar and sap. I didn't even think about the walnut and how dark the tannins might be.

Any thoughts on some Birch that has been drying for a few years in the hot sun?

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-10-2020, 10:15 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Never used birch in a tank as it has not been where I lived. I did drag some home from Canada one time and it seems kind of soft, so it might not last too long if it was down on the ground, so bugs can get to it. In a tank, I don't think of it as having too much sap and holding it long. The wood I brought home was next to a fireplace and seemed to get light really quick and that would say it dried out fast. I'm kind of open on trying things as my tanks don't stay in any one fashion for very long. I like to avoid any bark if it is still on as that tends to come loose pretty quick and begin to flake off but the main part of birch would not scare me.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-23-2020, 06:17 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (89/98%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DigityDog70 View Post
I'm looking for a pretty large piece or two. The tank is 72"L x 24"D x 30D" Something like what you see here, I wish I knew what type of wood this log is, it would be similar to what I'm looking to find: https://youtu.be/dzLT2FoElpc?t=34

Driftwood 'would' be a cool centerpiece. I'm not looking for Manzanita.

Likely I'll end up hunting down a piece and soaking it for a while. What type of wood am I looking to find that won't harm my livestock? I appreciate any suggestions. For example, Oak, Sycamore, Ash.

Thanks!

Fish Room Bum
have any luck with any good looking piece of tree root?

Canon Pimp Club #17
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-23-2020, 02:37 PM
Planted Tank Guru

One of the old cedar snags, I used at one point. Sawed out the center and shaped to get access for fish to breed under the wood.
Note that using cedar does require some thought as it has to be TOTALLY dry, not just months but years and possibly decades of drying. One way to judge the moisture is to check the color inside for a nearly uniform color from inner to outer layers. Some color around knots, etc. is okay but it is always something to use care, especially if you have soft acidic water with little buffering.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	wood028.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	107.2 KB
ID:	898737  

Name:	wood027.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	103.8 KB
ID:	898739  

doug105! likes this.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-24-2020, 03:16 AM
Planted Tank Guru

And my posts about using cedar are often followed by folks asking if I actually used the wood or did it kill my fish. YUP! I really do use the stuff and it doesn't kill my fish. The plants? That was before my live plants and I think they were all dead from the start!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	fish2-19-2011017-1.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	104.4 KB
ID:	898779  

Attached Images

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode