The Planted Tank Forum banner

Fisrt Time Aquascape

1K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  Stephan 
#1 ·
Hi everyone I would really appreciate your feed back on my first try at this aquascape. Tips and tricks or any advice on hardscape, and plant choices.

This is a 60L tank (15Gallon), with CO2 and AF Natural substrate.
Plants: "Cabomba" Back Ground
Cryptocoryne amicorum and Bucephalandra Biblis Midground on sides
Anubias nana Bonsai foreground and in between rocks with Eleocharis acicularis, "Monte carlo" carpent foreground
Weeping moss

I am a the limit of my buget for now, but could in time make some improvements at a later stage.
The tank is about in week 2 now.

Attachments

See less See more
#8 ·
Thank you Growshell i appreciate it!!

Bump:
Hello and welcome! Your tank is a LOT better then my first aquascape. Great job on the layout. I really like how you have the cabomba growing on the sides with an empty space in the middle. Good use of negative space there!

One thing I wish I knew when I started is that its very common for stem plants like cabomba to get all dusty and abused on the lower leaves and nice looking on the top. As a result folks commonly cut the plant right at the base remove the stalk, cut it where they like the look of the new growth, and replant the top. Sometimes they will also pull all the roots as well, depends on how concerned they with the roots being pulled disturbing the rest of the tank. Sometimes this is done every water change, depends on how quickly the plants grow.

I am not familiar with your substrate, but if it is an aquasoil type substrate keep in mind that the first month requires a LOT of water changes. Every day the first week is recommended 50% water change. Every other day in the second week, 3 times in week 3. And twice in week 4. Thereafter once a week.

As to any other advice we would need to know more about your setup such as filtration, fertilization, light, etc.

Please keep us updated as your scape grows in!
Thank you minorhero, Thank for the positive comments, i noticed the browning of the plants at the base and have considered to do what you explained about the replanting but i don't think i will do it to often.

Regarding the water changes wish i did more water changes like you mentoined didn't know i had to do so many at the start, I am now struggling with lot of algae growth!!:frown2::frown2:

Few snail have hatched that hitched with the plants and are slowly maturing and starting to clean it but yea at this point lot of manual cleaning!!

I will post again a photo in a week or so with an update on the tank!! :smile2:

#7 ·
Hello and welcome! Your tank is a LOT better then my first aquascape. Great job on the layout. I really like how you have the cabomba growing on the sides with an empty space in the middle. Good use of negative space there!

One thing I wish I knew when I started is that its very common for stem plants like cabomba to get all dusty and abused on the lower leaves and nice looking on the top. As a result folks commonly cut the plant right at the base remove the stalk, cut it where they like the look of the new growth, and replant the top. Sometimes they will also pull all the roots as well, depends on how concerned they with the roots being pulled disturbing the rest of the tank. Sometimes this is done every water change, depends on how quickly the plants grow.

I am not familiar with your substrate, but if it is an aquasoil type substrate keep in mind that the first month requires a LOT of water changes. Every day the first week is recommended 50% water change. Every other day in the second week, 3 times in week 3. And twice in week 4. Thereafter once a week.

As to any other advice we would need to know more about your setup such as filtration, fertilization, light, etc.

Please keep us updated as your scape grows in!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.