The Planted Tank Forum banner

Hillstream aquarium

6K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  malawiscuba 
#1 ·
Hi everyone hope you are all okay.
I guess this isn´t really aquascaping or a propper planted tank but I would really appreciate it if you could help me get this aquarium to look beautifull. This is my 30 gallon hillstream tank. At the moment there are 5 mountain minnows. 2 stiphodon gobies and 2 hillstream loaches. I tried to create a sort or river like feel to it but I think it could be improved a lot. I like the rocks sloping down and the driftwood following that direction but maybe the placement is not right or it needs more height.

I don´t know anything about aquascaping but I really love these kind of fish and want to have a níce place for them. I need to change the white sand to dark gravel as it gets really messy due to the algae growing on it . Also I have some anubias nana and buce I want to add but not sure where to place them?
What could I do with the area on the end of the slope so that it doesn´t look so bare?

The java fern attached is growing but it only shoots off little leaves that seem to stay small and stop growing. I am dosing ferts to increase algae and help the fern.
It is tricky to find the balance between good algae growth while having some nice plants. Anyway the priority is the fish health and they need the algae so I´m not looking to outcompete it. I would like to add some pinnatifida if possible.

Anyway I´d appreciate your input on it. Thank you.

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
Thank you very much!
I was thinking on adding more rocks to it up to the end of the slope. Also raise the level of the rocks by placing gravel bags on the bottom and all of the rocks on top. The stiphodons like to dig sometimes so maybe that would prevent accidents.

#4 ·
#5 ·
Thanks for the suggestion! That is a cool plant, never seen it in stores but I collected some from a nearby stream years ago. Did well in another tank i had (18°C) but was so full of pests I didn't trust putting livestock in. If I find a way to desinfect it without killing it I'd love to try some.

I keep this hillstream tank at 22°C by the way.

#7 ·
I think the tank feels a little bare. An easy way to instantly add impact would be to add more driftwood. Either one big piece that stretches across the tank or several pieces arranged together would make the tank look more interesting without detracting from the natural feel you have going. Also I have major fish envy, I love the hillstream species!

#8 ·
I always loved these species and after seeing rachel oleary's 150, odyssey's tank..etc I just had to set it up.
The minnows have been there for about 7 months, the larger ones do pick on the others sometimes but the agression is spread so no problems.

Yes that is exactly what it feels to me also, bare. Hopefully this situation ends soon and I can get more hardscape for the tank ( and more gobies and loaches lol).
Thank you both!

I was playing around today during maintenance with the driftwood, maybe this angle looks more natural. What do you think? Also a pic of the other loach Gastromyzon zebrinus ( I think)

Attachments

#9 ·
Lovely, natural look. But I agree with the above suggestion about adding plants that reach the surface, only because the minnows will prefer some plants to rest in, make them feel safer and to spawn in. But I love the scape, and love the fish selection.

#13 ·
Thank you!
Sadly vals hate me for some reason, if I don't dose ferts heavily they stay really short. I will hive them a shot anyways or maybe bolbitis in the left side.
Absolutely! I will update when I change things up. First of all I have to swap the sand for coarse gravel ( any ideas on what color gravel ?)
I would like to place something on the bottom of the tank to raise the rocks and distribute their weight evenly. Can't find eggcrate so I was thinking a mesh bag filled with gravel. If anyone has some ideas for this I would appreciate it

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.