Really steep substrate slopes - The Planted Tank Forum
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-12-2020, 09:47 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 42
Really steep substrate slopes

I want to do an Iwagumi aquarium modeled after the flatirons in Boulder, CO. I'm specifically thinking of emulating the first three flatties. To do this, I'd need to have a very steep substrate with carpet plantings to model the tree-covered mountain-side. is it feasible to have such a steep substrate? How would I do it? To see what substrate grade I'm trying to attain search for photos of the flatirons.
zdrc is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-12-2020, 10:56 PM
Wannabe Guru
 
Grobbins48's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Upstate New York
Posts: 1,769
Quote:
Originally Posted by zdrc View Post
I want to do an Iwagumi aquarium modeled after the flatirons in Boulder, CO. I'm specifically thinking of emulating the first three flatties. To do this, I'd need to have a very steep substrate with carpet plantings to model the tree-covered mountain-side. is it feasible to have such a steep substrate? How would I do it? To see what substrate grade I'm trying to attain search for photos of the flatirons.
I did not search any photos, however if you are trying to do steep sloping check out the first post in my journal (signature below). I used a homemade substrate supports which worked quite well.

If you want even more validation on it search The Green Machine on YouTube. James the owner uses them.

Good luck!



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Grobbins48 is online now  
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-13-2020, 12:00 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grobbins48 View Post
I did not search any photos, however if you are trying to do steep sloping check out the first post in my journal (signature below). I used a homemade substrate supports which worked quite well.

If you want even more validation on it search The Green Machine on YouTube. James the owner uses them.

Good luck!
Thanks for the reply. I looked at the journal, and I'm not sure it would work with how steep I want the slope. I think I want like =>20 deg slope. Honestly, the more I think about it, the less feasible it seems... I feel like the carpeting plants wouldn't even grow the way I want on such a steep slope...
zdrc is online now  
 
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-13-2020, 12:26 AM
Wannabe Guru
 
minorhero's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Maryland
Posts: 1,198
It can be done. You need a tank big enough to make it work. You also need a lot of substrate supports, and big ones at that.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
minorhero is online now  
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-13-2020, 12:38 AM
Wannabe Guru
 
Grobbins48's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Upstate New York
Posts: 1,769
Quote:
Originally Posted by minorhero View Post
It can be done. You need a tank big enough to make it work. You also need a lot of substrate supports, and big ones at that.
I agree. Can absolutely be done. Can use lava rock as a base layer too if you want.



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Grobbins48 is online now  
Reply

Tags
None

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in













Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome