Cinder blocks? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-27-2020, 11:31 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Cinder blocks?

I decided I need to add some terracing to my 90g soon to be dutch aquascape and found some cinder blocks outside. My plan would be to burry the cinder blocks under the substrate to create raised parts without spending a million $ on aquarium rock and substrate.

I know many rocks can change pH but I was wondering what this forum would think of me berrying the cinder blocks, I'm sure it would still leach some but would it be tolerable for plants? Tank currently has no fish

At least I can grow Algae
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-28-2020, 12:29 AM
Wannabe Guru

To the extent that cured cement leeches anything, my long search online on this information for my own purposes never revealed anything. In fact many fish breeding facilities in the united states and abroad use raised cement ponds or tubs to rear fry.

Anyway while this would work fine, you would be better off going to the hardware store and buying some lava rock to do the same thing. If you want to create terraced levels that do not need to be burried in substrate then look into using eggcrate ziptied together for that purpose.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-28-2020, 12:32 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by minorhero View Post
To the extent that cured cement leeches anything, my long search online on this information for my own purposes never revealed anything. In fact many fish breeding facilities in the united states and abroad use raised cement ponds or tubs to rear fry.

Anyway while this would work fine, you would be better off going to the hardware store and buying some lava rock to do the same thing. If you want to create terraced levels that do not need to be burried in substrate then look into using eggcrate ziptied together for that purpose.
Appreciate the response 🙂

I had originally wanted to do lava rock and would if I had some lying around but for the amount I would use it isn't worth it to me. Can you give me an example of the eggcrates ziptied together? I can't picture that but may want to try that

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-28-2020, 01:06 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
baked clay bricks is also an option

as for the egg crate idea (basically just boxes or platforms made from eggcrate), you can use the oatey fusion pvc glue to bond em together if you dont want to use zip ties. https://www.homedepot.com/p/Oatey-10...6683,1013,6960

Example from my scape.
sidenote: The eggcrate at the bottom of the tank isn't mandatory, it was there just in case I would drop a rock or something lol

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-28-2020, 01:26 AM
Wannabe Guru

Tsing's got it right of course.

Incase you need more (and because I already found it before reading Tsing's post ;P ) here is an instructable where someone was building a platform:

https://www.instructables.com/id/Pal...rrarium-Build/

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-28-2020, 01:35 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingAlongWithTsing View Post
baked clay bricks is also an option

as for the egg crate idea (basically just boxes or platforms made from eggcrate), you can use the oatey fusion pvc glue to bond em together if you dont want to use zip ties. https://www.homedepot.com/p/Oatey-10...6683,1013,6960

Example from my scape.
sidenote: The eggcrate at the bottom of the tank isn't mandatory, it was there just in case I would drop a rock or something lol

First off I'm digging that hardscape. Second, I'm not sure I'm saying it right or you guys are understanding me, what i want to do is place the bricks at the back of the tank and cover them with substrate to create a lot of depth and because the tank is so tall also allow some plants to reach near the top.

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-28-2020, 01:37 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by minorhero View Post
Tsing's got it right of course.

Incase you need more (and because I already found it before reading Tsing's post 😜 ) here is an instructable where someone was building a platform:

https://www.instructables.com/id/Pal...rrarium-Build/
I saw sings post first and read it and commented before seeing yours, yes this is what I'm talking about when I want terraces. I'm going to look some more into that and see what materials I have laying around. Is that foam stuff for sure not toxic, I'm very skeptical of anything that foams being in my tank

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-28-2020, 02:04 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazyjayb View Post
First off I'm digging that hardscape. Second, I'm not sure I'm saying it right or you guys are understanding me, what i want to do is place the bricks at the back of the tank and cover them with substrate to create a lot of depth and because the tank is so tall also allow some plants to reach near the top.
oh yeah you can do that easily with bricks, like this right?

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode