Dutch aquascape in a 90 - The Planted Tank Forum
 35Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-24-2020, 10:32 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Dutch aquascape in a 90

Hey guys,
I have a 90g (48 1/2 x 18 1/2 x 25 3/8) tank that I have all set up to make into a dutch scape. Problem is I don't really know how to make a Dutch aquascape or if I have enough light. I'm running a t5 4 bulb oddysea light as well as a fluval 2.0. Any tips on aquascaping or if that's enough light?

Thanks!

At least I can grow Algae
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-24-2020, 11:14 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazyjayb View Post
Hey guys,
I have a 90g (48 1/2 x 18 1/2 x 25 3/8) tank that I have all set up to make into a dutch scape. Problem is I don't really know how to make a Dutch aquascape or if I have enough light. I'm running a t5 4 bulb oddysea light as well as a fluval 2.0. Any tips on aquascaping or if that's enough light?

Thanks!
Light is probably good. You will want to look into threads on bulb combos here for the t5 fixture if you haven't already.

With that much light I assume you are running co2 as well?

Probably would be helpful to go through your planned fertilizer co2 and light settings. There are a lot of very talented growers here that will be able to give you some precise information. Regarding tips for aquascaping I would definitely look at the winners of the aga contest (some of which are members on this forum) and also look at videos on planting a dutch tank. There are "rules" regarding how to go about doing the planting and growing. You will want to understand those before getting too far into the planning process.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-24-2020, 11:58 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by minorhero View Post
Quote:
Hey guys,

Thanks!
Light is probably good. You will want to look into threads on bulb combos here for the t5 fixture if you haven't already.

With that much light I assume you are running co2 as well?

Probably would be helpful to go through your planned fertilizer co2 and light settings. There are a lot of very talented growers here that will be able to give you some precise information. Regarding tips for aquascaping I would definitely look at the winners of the aga contest (some of which are members on this forum) and also look at videos on planting a dutch tank. There are "rules" regarding how to go about doing the planting and growing. You will want to understand those before getting too far into the planning process.
Thanks for the response, Ive watched quite a few videos on dutch aquascapes, I guess my question is more towards how do I make a tank that is that tall look good with a dutch aquascape, or how do I even get plants that tall? Yes I'm running pressurized co2 with a diffuser into the filter intake. I'm also in a bit of a predicament with my ferts, Ive never really paid much attention to ferts but have recently and want to get into EI dosing but don't know exactly what to get.
Quesenek likes this.

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-25-2020, 12:31 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
Thanks for the response, Ive watched quite a few videos on dutch aquascapes, I guess my question is more towards how do I make a tank that is that tall look good with a dutch aquascape, or how do I even get plants that tall? Yes I'm running pressurized co2 with a diffuser into the filter intake. I'm also in a bit of a predicament with my ferts, Ive never really paid much attention to ferts but have recently and want to get into EI dosing but don't know exactly what to get.
IMO you are putting the cart before the horse.

Before you even begin thinking about creating a dutch scape, you should spend some time learning about growing plants.

A planted tank is a combination of light (PAR/Color), CO2 (pH drop), Ferts (NO3/PO4/K/Fe/micros), and maintenance (might be most important). You want to optimize each to have the best chance of growing healthy happy plants.

Here's a good place to learn the basics and all the terms and words that are commonly used in the hobby.

https://www.advancedplantedtank.com/

Another good way to learn is to find tanks that have similar goals to your own and demonstrate success. Then study their methods. It will give you a good idea of what it takes to be successful.

But in general, a 90 is not too tall, and 4 x T5HO will be medium to medium high light, depending on the actual bulbs.

IME, the more research you do prior to getting started the better your odds are.

---
---
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-25-2020, 03:06 AM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
In addition to what Greggz is saying you should also not run your diffuser into your intake. (I am assuming you are running a canister filter?)

Apparently filling your canister filter with gas is not a great way to go. It can dramatically effect the efficiency and lifespan of your filter. Or so folks keep telling me.

Regardless a better way is to use a reactor instead of a diffuser. Less maintenance, more dissolution of co2, and easy to operate. I am running a rex griggs style reactor off of my canister filter and its working pretty well. There are a few designs out there including ones you can buy off the shelf. Pick a design (diy or off the shelf) and go with it.

If you must, you can run an inline diffuser on the return. But nothing I have seen has convinced me they are even half as good as a proper reactor.

Regarding ferts. It takes a bit to wrap your head around. I am still not all the way there. If you want an easy all in one solution then just buy Thrive and use either capped dirt or aquasoil. If you want to go a bit more in-depth then you will need to learn about dry ferts and making your own dosages. I don't know enough to offer any advice there. I know there are threads in the ferts subforum though.

post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-25-2020, 06:22 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greggz View Post
Quote:
IMO you are putting the cart before the horse.

Before you even begin thinking about creating a dutch scape, you should spend some time learning about growing plants.

A planted tank is a combination of light (PAR/Color), CO2 (pH drop), Ferts (NO3/PO4/K/Fe/micros), and maintenance (might be most important). You want to optimize each to have the best chance of growing healthy happy plants.

Here's a good place to learn the basics and all the terms and words that are commonly used in the hobby.

https://www.advancedplantedtank.com/

Another good way to learn is to find tanks that have similar goals to your own and demonstrate success. Then study their methods. It will give you a good idea of what it takes to be successful.

But in general, a 90 is not too tall, and 4 x T5HO will be medium to medium high light, depending on the actual bulbs.

IME, the more research you do prior to getting started the better your odds are.
I know what a planted tank is, I've kept many incredibly successfully. In regards to ferts I meant I have not paid much attention to ei dosing, I've done something close to mimick it but with seachem ferts with a 50% water change every week and was wanting to get into dry ferts/ei dosing method. I have read about co2 injection into the intake and have heard many conflicting things the biggest being it's not that big of an issue as long as the gas doesn't get trapped, and, the gas in my eheim pro doesn't get trapped.

post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-25-2020, 06:25 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Quote:
In addition to what Greggz is saying you should also not run your diffuser into your intake. (I am assuming you are running a canister filter?)

Apparently filling your canister filter with gas is not a great way to go. It can dramatically effect the efficiency and lifespan of your filter. Or so folks keep telling me.

Regardless a better way is to use a reactor instead of a diffuser. Less maintenance, more dissolution of co2, and easy to operate. I am running a rex griggs style reactor off of my canister filter and its working pretty well. There are a few designs out there including ones you can buy off the shelf. Pick a design (diy or off the shelf) and go with it.

If you must, you can run an inline diffuser on the return. But nothing I have seen has convinced me they are even half as good as a proper reactor.

Regarding ferts. It takes a bit to wrap your head around. I am still not all the way there. If you want an easy all in one solution then just buy Thrive and use either capped dirt or aquasoil. If you want to go a bit more in-depth then you will need to learn about dry ferts and making your own dosages. I don't know enough to offer any advice there. I know there are threads in the ferts subforum though.
im going to EI dry ferts dosing method and have talked to several people and understand it to some extent but my question I guess is what to buy. What reactor do you use?

post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-25-2020, 06:54 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
im going to EI dry ferts dosing method and have talked to several people and understand it to some extent but my question I guess is what to buy. What reactor do you use?
You want to use KNO3, KH2PO4, K2SO4 for the macro's and CSM+B for micro's and iron, for the expert level a custom micro mix would be ideal however it is quite a bit involved.
I've used both the rex grigg and cerges reactor, both work fine however the cerges reactor with a bypass is more ideal TBH because you can fine tune the flow rate easily to prevent bubbles from escaping the reactor.

My opinion with reactors though is you might want to run it off a separate pump rather than your canister filter so that it doesn't rob flow from the filter. Especially when considering a cerges reactor, even with the bypass you might only be getting 50-70% of the flow back to the tank due to the added head pressure.
Crazyjayb likes this.
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-25-2020, 01:00 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
I know what a planted tank is, I've kept many incredibly successfully. In regards to ferts I meant I have not paid much attention to ei dosing, I've done something close to mimick it but with seachem ferts with a 50% water change every week and was wanting to get into dry ferts/ei dosing method.
Sorry when you said you never paid much attention to ferts or knew much about EI dosing I just assumed you were a beginner. I didn't mean to be disparaging, just trying to be helpful.

I would love to see some pics of your successful tanks and learn more about them. When folks know more about your tank and see what you are up to and your results it's much easier for them to be helpful.

Good luck and looking forwarding to seeing the Dutch presentation you come up with.
Blue Ridge Reef and Crazyjayb like this.

---
---
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-25-2020, 01:44 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

There is a great video on Dutch Aquascaping by BART LAURENS

I famous Dutch aquarist. He goes thru the ends and outs

https://www.aquatic-gardeners.org/dvds.html
Desert Pupfish likes this.
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-25-2020, 03:44 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
I use a rex griggs style reactor I made myself. Its pretty easy to make these things. You can find my reactor in my signature in my 40 Gallon Breeder High Tech tank.
Crazyjayb likes this.

post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-26-2020, 01:24 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quesenek View Post
Quote:
You want to use KNO3, KH2PO4, K2SO4 for the macro's and CSM+B for micro's and iron, for the expert level a custom micro mix would be ideal however it is quite a bit involved.
I've used both the rex grigg and cerges reactor, both work fine however the cerges reactor with a bypass is more ideal TBH because you can fine tune the flow rate easily to prevent bubbles from escaping the reactor.

My opinion with reactors though is you might want to run it off a separate pump rather than your canister filter so that it doesn't rob flow from the filter. Especially when considering a cerges reactor, even with the bypass you might only be getting 50-70% of the flow back to the tank due to the added head pressure.
I do have an extra pump laying around, would a pond pump work? What would a custom micro mix consist of, I was under the impression it covered everything that.. well a micro mix covered. Are there any cheap premade ones that you know work well? I'm very into diy but not when it could flood my house lol

post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-26-2020, 01:25 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Quote:
I use a rex griggs style reactor I made myself. Its pretty easy to make these things. You can find my reactor in my signature in my 40 Gallon Breeder High Tech tank.
Dumb question but how does one check your signature?

post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-26-2020, 01:25 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdWiser View Post
There is a great video on Dutch Aquascaping by BART LAURENS

I famous Dutch aquarist. He goes thru the ends and outs

https://www.aquatic-gardeners.org/dvds.html
I will definitely check this out when I have time, thanks!

post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-26-2020, 01:27 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greggz View Post
Quote:
I know what a planted tank is, I've kept many incredibly successfully. In regards to ferts I meant I have not paid much attention to ei dosing, I've done something close to mimick it but with seachem ferts with a 50% water change every week and was wanting to get into dry ferts/ei dosing method.
Sorry when you said you never paid much attention to ferts or knew much about EI dosing I just assumed you were a beginner. I didn't mean to be disparaging, just trying to be helpful.

I would love to see some pics of your successful tanks and learn more about them. When folks know more about your tank and see what you are up to and your results it's much easier for them to be helpful.

Good luck and looking forwarding to seeing the Dutch presentation you come up with.
I would love to share but my issue is I'm very self conscious of my tanks and most of them I don't try to scape, I just like to grow plants and propagate them. I also moved fairly recently and only have a 40g that looks half decent. I may start a journal on it though.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode