Aquascaping tips for this giant spiderwood - Page 2 - The Planted Tank Forum
 15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-24-2020, 10:09 PM Thread Starter
snails are your friend

PTrader: (13/100%)
Now there's a different idea! I'll tinker with it that way but it's *really* heavy. My concern is positioning all that weight on one branch without anything else resting on the glass. Would probably have to incorporate a lot of rocks to keep it in place but that would look cool.

Nothing good happens fast in an ecosystem.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-28-2020, 08:48 PM Thread Starter
snails are your friend

After a few tries with a prybar, I've decided this is going to be just one piece of wood and I'll trim the thick end back. Now considering what to plant on it. I'll add some narrow leaf Java fern around the base, but the limbs themselves will need something on them. Looking through unusual mosses, but at $10+ for a 2" square I don't see how I would get anywhere without spending $500 or waiting for a couple of years. I want this tank to be Java moss free but fissidens, Cameroon, Taiwan or so forth might look nice. I don't want anything that will grow too long or thick since the wood is going to leave little open space already.
evil8 likes this.

post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-04-2020, 05:09 PM Thread Starter
snails are your friend

This piece was poorly shaped to fit in my outdoor trashcan so I got the biggest Rubbermaid bin I had to start soaking. I'll still have to flip it around every couple of days but this should be a start. No idea how long this is going to take, I'll just judge it by how stained the water is.

I've procured a nice wad of fissidens moss that I'm going to try my hand at tying to it. Hopefully I like the way it looks and won't be ripping it back off in a few weeks. Will update in the tank journal when that time comes.

post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-04-2020, 09:17 PM
Suspended

PTrader: (0/0%)
Most smaller pieces usually sink within a week, but that piece I wouldn't be surprised if you were north of a month. Probably go quicker as you probably know if you can fully submerge it in something, but what?
Blue Ridge Reef likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-04-2020, 10:31 PM Thread Starter
snails are your friend

It seems to be more dense than water already, was not expecting that. At least I couldn't detect buoyancy while trying to bob it around in the bin. At any rate, it's going to be spending at least a week in water before I start my sewing project. If the "sticks" coming off the sides weren't thin and fragile, the trashcan would have worked. But it has quite a spread and I wouldn't want any pieces breaking if I can help it. I have a 125 gallon tank I might move it to if this doesn't seem to be worthwhile. I'll probably know more in a couple of days.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode