Testing before adding any plants, aquascaping suggestions - The Planted Tank Forum
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By Asteroid

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-12-2019, 09:51 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Testing before adding any plants, aquascaping suggestions

Everything is in and I'm finishing hooking everything up. My original plan was to order the carpeting plants, dwarf hairgrass mats, for the foreground, fill it with water and cycle. I'm now thinking that I want to fill it first, determine that all of my connections are not leaking, drain some water then plant the carpet. For a final planting, I'm thinking of Amazon swords left rear, tiger lotus between the two large rocks, and some kind of vai in the background. Any thoughts or suggestions welcome. The small rocks may go or be changed. I will be adding moss to the branch, probably the spiderwood, maybe some Anubis to the spiderwood.

The real fountain of youth is being a musician
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-13-2019, 12:45 AM
Wannabe Guru

Since your looking for feedback I'll give you some that I think appeals to most, otherwise it's your setup and you should do what you want.

Compositions look better if you follow the rule of thirds and aquascapes are a composition. If you put the focal point (in this case the Spider wood) in the center, people tend to just focus on the center. If you move the Spider Wood off-center most will focus on the whole scape. Think of viewing a mountain scene from a distance. Rule of thirds in composition and especially in photography are bedrock principals.

It's very difficult to mix hardscape. It looks more natural and appealing if you have one type of rock and one type of wood. Sometimes you can do it with small and large pieces, but in this case the two woods compete with each other instead of complimenting each.
deeda and Discusluv like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-13-2019, 01:09 PM
Wannabe Guru

Everything Asteroid is saying is good advice.

I will throw my own two cents in as well. This is a lot of empty space in this tank with very little hardscape. If you want to go just plants in this tank like a dutch style scape then that is definitely a good way to go and a lot of people enjoy those types of aquariums. If you want to add hardscape then I would suggest you add substantially more hardscape. There are some great videos on youtube from people like George Farmer, Rachel O'Leary and Green Aqua. All of these are excellent aquascapers with completely different methods for aquascaping. Plus lots of suggestions for plants, and fish. These are great resources and you should definitely take a look at for coming up with some kind of composition.

All of this is my way of saying that the tanks hardscape is not great. If you like it then that's the most important thing but since you asked for advice, my advice is to redo it, watch some videos on different types of aquascapes, and then implement a plan based around the type of fish you plan to keep and your preference for different types of aquascapes. It is not actually difficult to come up with amazing hardscape designs. The biggest barrier is usually the amount of material needed to carry off the particular design. There are ways to make this cheaper of course. The easiest is to use found stones if you live in an area that has good geology. If not then the next cheapest is to use rocks from a landscape supply company instead of your local fish store.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-13-2019, 06:24 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks for all the aquascaping suggestions. I do have a number of collected stones that I can add and may add a piece of driftwood. I am going with a jungle look, so it will be heavily planted. The picture was only my initial placement of two big pieces.

I finally ordered the dwarf hairgrass mats, they should arrive next week. I'm leaning towards filling the tank, checking all of the components for leaks, and draining some of the water back out to plant the dwarf hair grass mats, as opposed to waiting until the mats arrive, planting in damp conditions (couple inches of water), then filling and checking everything at that time. This is really what I need feedback on now.

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-13-2019, 06:32 PM
Wannabe Guru

Unless your using co2 or soil I would skip the DHG. It's very difficult to grow fully without additional co2 coming from the soil or injected.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-14-2019, 07:03 PM
Wannabe Guru

It's hard to make out but I think you are using some kind of aquasoil as substrate? If so you should be fine for dhg if you have good light and ferts.

As to the op question. You can fill your tank and drain it. Nothing bad will happen to your substrate. Your wood will float of course unless you boil it just before filling or glue/tie to the rocks.

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-15-2019, 01:58 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by minorhero View Post
It's hard to make out but I think you are using some kind of aquasoil as substrate? If so you should be fine for dhg if you have good light and ferts.

As to the op question. You can fill your tank and drain it. Nothing bad will happen to your substrate. Your wood will float of course unless you boil it just before filling or glue/tie to the rocks.
The two pieces of wood are glued to rocks. I am running CO2, and reasonably high lighting. The substrate is Grow-pro soft belly with some added iron and I plan to use some root tabs. as well as liquid ferts.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode