Getting Dwarf Baby Tears to ROOT - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-15-2019, 07:55 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Getting Dwarf Baby Tears to ROOT

Greetings, all -
I've been trying without success for about two years to get dwarf baby tears to root.

I have a 36 gallon bowfront tank with CO2 injection and strong lighting (a dual-tube T5 fixture plus an LED fixture, T5 has a Geismann Superflora and a Geismann tropic tube). The substrate is a mix of gravel plus ADA Aqua Amazonia soil.

My baby tears are growing really nicely BUT i can't get them to root in the substrate. I've tried a number of things: I've tied them to a few large flat rocks, small pieces of driftwood. I've tried weighting them down with plant weights (non-lead) in the hopes that they'd send out runners and attach themselves to the gravel. I've tried doing that and then sprinkling a little soil on top and hoping that they'd take the hint.

After some number of weeks or a couple months, they come loose and all end up at the top of the tank again. They look lovely up there, they grow well in the light. To be sure, they appear to be doing just fine on the bottom, they just don't *root*.

How in the world do people get nice carpets of dwarf baby tears? What should I try next?

- Charlie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-16-2019, 07:24 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

They don't ever root amazingly well even with a dry start as they are meant to be floating in the wild from what I've read.

The only thing you can do is to make sure they are trimmed often so they dont float up.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-18-2019, 12:02 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

And yet so many pics of tanks with lovely dwarf baby tear carpets? Are they all just ... improvised for the purposes of the shots?

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-18-2019, 12:14 AM

PTrader: (3/100%)
HC carpets take quite a bit of maintenance; if they float up after a few weeks to a month, it's not that unusual. The bottom part of the carpet dies off due to insufficient light, causing the entire top part to just float to the surface.

Anthony

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Victor Pimp #33 - HPT272-125-350-4M
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-18-2019, 01:51 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

So what's the best approach here, even to maintain a carpet with lots of maintenance? What I've been doing (weighting clumps down with plant weight strips) seems impractical on that scale (and is *visible*). I can't believe people are tying down whole carpets. Those lovely pics of lush HC carpets, are they just staged? I can't get my HC to root *at* *all*. I'd put the maintenance into it, but I can't figure out how to even make *any* progress here.

- Charlie
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-18-2019, 11:18 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

I said they don't root amazingly well and will float if not constantly trimmed. They also need what feels like excessive co2 because again, they naturally sit above the surface and get plenty of co2 that way.

Did your dry start not work well? I would never attempt baby tears outside of dry start.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-19-2019, 12:04 AM
Wannabe Guru

Different way to do things. I did many HC carpets without dry start. I usually plant in very small groups sometimes even individual stems. Good co2, good light, substrate didn't matter, did it in eco complete and aquasoil.

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-19-2019, 05:29 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Did you use any special technique to plant them? The shake in my hands is enough to make planting by stem (without long roots) nearly impossible.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-19-2019, 05:49 PM
Algae Grower

When I planted mine, I sprinkled some gravel and sand over top to weigh them down until they had a chance to root.

• 60G low-tech planted acrylic elongated hexagon
  • 29G low-tech planted glass rectangle
  • 20G high-tech planted acrylic rectangle
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-19-2019, 06:12 PM
Wannabe Guru

Nope, just pushed each stem down with tweezers and pulled up a bit so substrate falls in around it.

Tags
carpeting plant, dwarf baby tears, rooting

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode