Looking for any and all feedback on my hardscape! - The Planted Tank Forum
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By minorhero
  • 2 Post By d2creative

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-29-2019, 02:42 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Question Looking for any and all feedback on my hardscape!

I plan on removing the large branch that I marked with red Xs. The pieces marked with blue dots were added and can be moved/removed.

Should I add more rocks or branches anywhere? I plan on adding small skinny, flexible branches as roots in the final setup, making them look like they're growing over the rocks, etc.

I really want to get this one right!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	T8aeryx.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	390.3 KB
ID:	888703  

Click image for larger version

Name:	GSUYKgJ.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	379.3 KB
ID:	888705  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-29-2019, 03:15 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I like the forest style scapes when they are carried off right. To me a forest scape begs for a path but that might just be my preconceptions coming through.

Its hard to tell elevations but I would bank the substrate on the top right pretty high and have it slope down to the tree. Use rocks to act as retaining walls along the way. Once it gets to the roots have some rocks that create a path leading from the beach area to back behind the tree. Not all rocks the same size or else it looks unnatural but rather some larger rocks and some smaller ones. You can cover up bits of the path with wood as if those branches fell over the path. The path itself could have some sand in it and smaller pebbles.

Just some ideas.

One thing to keep in mind with the current scape is that some of your rocks look pretty close to the substrate. If you are going for a carpet they will disappear under just about anything you plant. I heard someone say on this forum that "rocks shrink in water" and its very true in a not literal kind of way.
aquanerd13 likes this.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-29-2019, 04:09 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by minorhero View Post
I like the forest style scapes when they are carried off right. To me a forest scape begs for a path but that might just be my preconceptions coming through.

Its hard to tell elevations but I would bank the substrate on the top right pretty high and have it slope down to the tree. Use rocks to act as retaining walls along the way. Once it gets to the roots have some rocks that create a path leading from the beach area to back behind the tree. Not all rocks the same size or else it looks unnatural but rather some larger rocks and some smaller ones. You can cover up bits of the path with wood as if those branches fell over the path. The path itself could have some sand in it and smaller pebbles.

Just some ideas.

One thing to keep in mind with the current scape is that some of your rocks look pretty close to the substrate. If you are going for a carpet they will disappear under just about anything you plant. I heard someone say on this forum that "rocks shrink in water" and its very true in a not literal kind of way.
I really like that idea. I hadn't thought of adding a path to really lead the eye.

You're right. I definitely need to raise a lot of my stones along with elevating the substrate at the back much higher. I'm realizing that now. Those stones will get completely swallowed up.

What do you think about the stones in the front along the embankment? Do you see a problem of those disappearing?

One other question, I am thinking about making the embankment in the front span the width of the entire front of the tank. Would a path still work with that setup or would that change your thoughts on the layout in that regard?

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-29-2019, 04:22 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by minorhero View Post
Its hard to tell elevations but I would bank the substrate on the top right pretty high and have it slope down to the tree.
I was going to say the opposite... high at the back left behind the tree, sloping down along those long roots on the right. haha
jmontee and aquanerd13 like this.

-Dennis
WATER BOX CLEAR PRO 6025 (143 gallons) | 3x GHL MITRAS LX7004 LED | 2x OASE BIOMASTER THERMO | GHL PROFILUX 4 CONTROLLER | GHL DOSER 2.1 | CO2 ART PRO ELITE REGULATOR | NILOCG NA ADVANCED CO2 REACTOR

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-29-2019, 04:35 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I 2nd @d2creative. Higher in the back left and then sloping downwards. Maybe a path that goes around behind the tree.

75 gallon planted tank. About to stock.
10 gallon QT

"Do not pray for an easy life. Pray for the strength to endure a difficult one” – Bruce Lee

75 gallon tank journal
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-29-2019, 05:11 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquanerd13 View Post
I 2nd @d2creative. Higher in the back left and then sloping downwards. Maybe a path that goes around behind the tree.
With the path starting on the left side or right side?
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-29-2019, 05:26 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

left and then curving along the wood.

75 gallon planted tank. About to stock.
10 gallon QT

"Do not pray for an easy life. Pray for the strength to endure a difficult one” – Bruce Lee

75 gallon tank journal
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-07-2019, 10:11 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (8/100%)
So I really like this piece of driftwood but I, personally, am not a huge fan of the straight trunk in most cases. It seems to me that there is a huge amount of interest in the bottom portion of the wood and not really much near the top. I also really like the idea of raising the substrate pretty high in the back left corner and then bringing that down as you go left to right and front to back. I put together a little mock up for you to see that things can be done in all kinds of ways.

Now, being that it is dificult to get good perspective from a pic it may not work this way but you can always cut off branches and use them as you did the blue dotted ones in the orignal. This way it looks like a large tree fell over into a lake and the roots are sticking up. Also, if that large side branch is long enough. you can have it sticking up and out of the aquarium which is a cool look.

Thank, using small buces and anubias on the rocks you can break up the big stump or hide the cut section. Just ideas to make sure you look at things from all angles when creating an aquascape!! Good luck and just remember to be happy with what you come up with in the end.
Attached Images

Tags
aquascape, hardscape, setup

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode