Safe moss wall for betta in Fluval Spec V? - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Quint

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-28-2019, 10:35 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Safe moss wall for betta in Fluval Spec V?

I did a bit of research before I came to post, so I know it is possible to make a moss wall in the Fluval Spec V (and mosses recommended for it), but one thing I noticed while researching DIY moss walls was that they stick out a little ways from the wall of the tank, and someone mentioned how a betta could get trapped behind one.

Has anyone set up a safe moss wall in a nano tank that's for a betta occupant? The tank I want to use it for houses a blind betta, and I'd like to make sure it won't hurt or trap her at all. If it's not possible, then I'll just forego the idea.

Someone mentioned report binders like you use for dividers, but I'm guessing you have to bury it and clip the top.

Also have seen someone mention magnets but even if they're covered in a protective coating, that makes me too nervous to try.

Also, is there a way to keep the moss from detaching over time and having to be redone?

get out of my house
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-20-2019, 11:03 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

I'm still curious if anyone has found a way for their moss wall to stand flush against the back wall of the tank, rather than it sticking outward (like with suction cups).

I'd love to do a moss wall in my 5 gallon but my betta has a way of getting everywhere, even though she's blind. ie. Two different times when I removed the filter outtake so that I could fix the filter not flowing, she swam into the hole (about her size) out of the whole tank. Found her each time in the little compartment where the filter would go, even though I hadn't opened the hole for long. (The second time I wasn't done so when I fished her out, I had to plug up the hole with my finger while I worked because she was like "This is new territory, must explore again, is mine."

Last thing I want is for her to get stuck behind a moss wall, so if I can cut the right size mesh to fit the width and height of the tank, and make sure it's flush against the back wall, I'd feel a lot better. I don't think superglue would be a good idea, and suction cups make too much space between the moss wall and aquarium wall.

get out of my house
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-21-2019, 04:29 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I have not done it but was thinking of building one. Best option I saw for keeping it flushish was using the plastic mesh with magnets glued/siliconed to it then putting magnets on the outside of the tank. This would result in about a 3/16" gap theoretically. Ive never had suction cups stick for extended periods of time so wanted to avoid those hence why I was looking at the magnet idea.
ipkiss likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-21-2019, 10:02 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quint View Post
I have not done it but was thinking of building one. Best option I saw for keeping it flushish was using the plastic mesh with magnets glued/siliconed to it then putting magnets on the outside of the tank. This would result in about a 3/16" gap theoretically. Ive never had suction cups stick for extended periods of time so wanted to avoid those hence why I was looking at the magnet idea.
I'd be worried about corrosion though, even of neodymium magnets. I don't know if the presence of magnets in general would have any impact on fish or their internal compass.

It did just occur to me though--the divider clip could be used along the top edge of the tank to pull the mesh against the glass. And if you used them for the sides and had them snugly fit against the inner insides of the tank, and the bottom part in the substrate, maybe that would keep it flush?

get out of my house
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-21-2019, 02:22 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Yeah sounds like an idea, all kinds of options.

On the magnets I dont think its an issue, people leave the magnet algae cleaners in the tanks all the time and most of our pumps in our filters have magnets in them. I would just be careful of the super strong rare earth magnets or whatever they are as you can crack the glass theoretically setting it up if your not careful (if you went that route).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-21-2019, 03:01 PM
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (489/100%)
Moss walls can work but they almost always end up getting crazy dirty if you don't have shrimp to keep things clean. Some mosses are also going to struggle at ~80 degrees F/typical Betta temperatures. So you'd have to go the trial and error route to find what works for you.

Magnets aren't an issue. Just coat them well in aquarium-safe silicone or epoxy resin. I've done that with magnets leftover from old shower curtain liners and they've been going strong for years. Great for DIY algae removers and to hold up things like thermometers and veggie clips.

Will the moss panel be placed against the glass or against the black wall housing the filter compartments?

There's no way to stop moss from growing and eventually breaking off or detaching once it gets too thick. So you'd have to keep maintenance up and occasionally reattach. Reattaching should be easy, though, with just a bit of super glue gel.

Have you considered using a few moss-covered branches instead of creating a wall?

|
|
|
|
|
|
|

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-23-2019, 03:22 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Thank you everyone for the advice! I can definitely see me going to all that trouble just to have the moss die off. I've had trouble keeping it alive in my other tanks, this probably wouldn't be any different. This is one tank where I'm foregoing shrimp so that my blind fish won't stress from movements in the water, as well as avoiding driftwood and rocks for safety purposes.

get out of my house

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode