Rescape the Aquascape - The Planted Tank Forum
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-01-2019, 07:59 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Rescape the Aquascape

1. HC 'Cuba' - Lovely plant, a colossal maintenance nightmare. It looks like a small hill in front the stone, this is another section that has decided to float up. The other section is where the Blyxa is now.

2. The Blyxa. Originally it was in the back of the tank, with my old lights. Now that I am running my AI Prime Freshwater I have a feeling it could do with being moved back again

3. Staurogyne repens. I love the look of this plant. It has grown (and been trimmed) to show what it is today. I was considering letting it grow to the front of the wood piece as well, moving the Blyxa somewhere else.

4. Alternanthera reineckii 'rosefoilia'. Believe it or not, I picked it up at Petsmart for almost next to nothing. This is 3 weeks in and already it's a different plant.

Here is the dilemma, wonderful tank, no so much floor space. I been doing pretty good but I am feeling something is amiss. Each time I look at, I keep feeling that things should be changed around.

I was thinking of moving the Blyxa back to the back (now that the light coverage is incredible, thanks AI Prime!), Staurogyne mound on the left, moved to the front where the Blyxa currently is and moving the Alternanthera to the side and keeping it trimmed low.

Sound like a good plan or am I missing something? Oh, the HC 'Cuba', I believe it's days are numbered, I am thinking of Eleocharis sp. 'mini' in it's place. While it's a great plant, the maintenance is just insane and parts keep floating up. Sigh.

Gary
Shrimp_Daddy likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-01-2019, 10:37 PM
snails are your friend

PTrader: (13/100%)
I think it looks fantastic, but understand the frustration of maintaining a carpet. Maybe replace with Monte Carlo? Might not be as prone to float.

Nothing good happens fast in an ecosystem.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-02-2019, 02:32 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks, I knew going in the HC Cuba was going to be a devil, but didn't realize just how much.

I've already cut out a large mat and I would love to maintain it, but I'm looking at the long term as well as short term... Eleocharis sp. 'mini' has a root system that does not make itself float. ;D

I did look at Monte Carlo but it's a matter "we will see". I have noticed a few more "floating" areas. Eleocharis sp. 'mini' is my backup plan.

As for the Scape, still thinking something needs to be re-arranged.

Gary

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-02-2019, 08:48 PM
Wannabe Guru

Mostly I think circulation when plants wonít stay rooted. Up front the carpet is so dense and fine foliage blocks circulation from reaching substrate, you have to intentionally flood that area with a wide, slightly brisk current that will maintain proper gas and nutrient exchange into substrate.

Canít tell from pic, what is substrate?
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-02-2019, 10:08 PM
Wannabe Guru

No matter what you do, HC will float after it gets too thick. You trim and after a while you would have to replant. It is a stem plant. You get more mileage if you start with individual stem planting, but it will float up eventually. The Eleocharis sp. 'mini' as you suggested should probably work well in there.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-03-2019, 01:44 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

@DaveKS, the substrate is Flourite Black Sand, with a Laterite/Peat mixture underneath. The substrate is fine enough and at first it was rooted fine. Good to know about the circulation, but I believe I don't want the hassle of having to redo parts of my aquascape every 7 or so months.

HC 'Cuba' is an awesome plant, next Aquascape if I do plan to use it and keep your suggestion in mind.

@Asteroid, yes, I believe Eleocharis sp. 'mini' would work and look nice. Besides, I literally can grow almost anything I want in this tank and keep it thriving. I just wish the HC 'Cuba' stays rooted through it's lifespan. I do aggressive trimming but due to my EI, CO2 and Lighting, well, it grows dense quickly again.

I'm taking from the comments, that the layout is fine with everyone. I'm not sure why it's bugging me.

Gary
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-03-2019, 02:39 AM
Wannabe Guru

Looking at your tank the part that sticks out to me is your hardscape appears fairly minimal and your s. repens does not integrate well with the hardscape. The Blyxa is fantastic and my favorite part of this tank. It just looks so good next to those rocks and wood. But the s. repens looks like a mistake. Something taller needs to be where they are located. And/or you need a more impressive hardscape that takes up much of the location where the s. repens is now. You could put more Cuba back there and go for an island theme.

Personally I prefer lots of hardscape so I would lean towards adding more rock and building up the back, adding some moss to the rocks, and growing plants along the sides of the rocks, but that's just my bias towards hardscape coming out.

/shrug just my 2 cents.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-03-2019, 04:48 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
This is definitely off topic @Crazygar, but, just had to acknowledge that you are author of one of the best, most comprehensive guides on otocinclus that Ive ever read.
Else someone stole your avatar and name and posted an article on TFH magazine forum.

Ive gone back to read it several times.
Blue Ridge Reef likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-03-2019, 05:39 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

LOL, no it's still me and thank you @Discusluv. Now that I am returning full force to the Hobby (life seems to make alternate plans), I plan to revamp a few things with that Article and update it (along with the TFH Forum itself).

"I've never met a Catfish I didn't like." - Mark Twain

@minorhero, you've touched on something I realized as well, not enough Hardscape. I, like yourself, enjoy loads of rocks as they add a semblance of natural beauty and focal point to the tank! I even realized that in the early beginnings of the tank but failed to act on it.

I have Shrek fingers so I'm also finding that trimming the HC 'Cuba' is quite the task. I am still seriously leaning towards replacing it with Eleocharis sp.'mini'.

Adding more Seiryu stones, I have some broken up pieces still... good point and thank you. I'm openly asking for suggestions. Bring them on.

What would you suggest for a 'taller' plant?

Gary
Discusluv likes this.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-03-2019, 06:06 PM
snails are your friend

PTrader: (13/100%)
Any stems appeal to you? Leopard Val?

Nothing good happens fast in an ecosystem.
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-03-2019, 06:10 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I dose Excel Flourish, this melts Vals. I learned that lesson a long time ago (2001). Leopard Val looks really nice though. Though, combining with the ideas put forth here...

How neat would a "rock cliff" in the back section tank? I think my major error was not enough rocks, but making a rock cliff or ledge (gradual, natural look one) would look impressive.

Gary
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-03-2019, 06:14 PM
Wannabe Guru

I agree it could benefit from more hardscape. Be careful with the Seiryu stone though, it will definitely bring up the KH and some of those plants can be adversely affected.

post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-03-2019, 06:21 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks Asteroid, I will keep that in mind. Wonderful suggestions folk! I appreciate it! The thing that was bugging me; lack of hardscape.

Gary
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-03-2019, 06:26 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Ridge Reef View Post
I think it looks fantastic, but understand the frustration of maintaining a carpet. Maybe replace with Monte Carlo? Might not be as prone to float.
It floats as well, the trick to both is keeping them short with frequent trimming. Its a pain and lots of diligent maintenance work and if you cut too much at once the plant will suffer.

post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-03-2019, 06:50 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Hmmm my lfs has a tank with a monte carlo carpet 4 inches high and it doesnt float. Interesting.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode