Rescape the Aquascape - Page 2 - The Planted Tank Forum
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-07-2019, 03:49 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Send a message via AIM to talontsiawd
First, I have had HC much thicker than that and it never wanted to float. However, I have also had it float around that thickness but it took a lot of time. You could cut it down completely to the substrate and it should continue to root more strongly, without having to hold much down. It's a plant you can trim very aggressively. I got out of the hobby when Monte Carlo took over, I did one tank that was short lived and now I am trying it on a new tank. It really seems very similar to HC, but grows more quickly and has bigger leaves. I don't think it will be any easier to deal with, I don't know that it is less likely to pull up or no, but it certainly wasn't easier to trim, plus it grows more quickly.

I say that because I personally like the HC and it gives a nice scale. I think a bigger carpeting plant may look off, depending. The one thing that would give a different look, without heavy maintenance is Dwarf Hair Grass Belem, one of my favorites. You just let it keep growing until it grows over itself and then you pull a bunch up and replant (or I do).

The main thing I would consider is tall stems instead of the Staurogyne. It looks nice and healthy but something that grows above the hardscape would give the tank a different look, much more options with color, and I personally feel would look great, especially with your heater being covered up.

-Matt

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-07-2019, 01:13 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
@talontsiawd, Eleocharis sp.'mini' is similar to Dwarf Hairgrass Belem without the added the maintenance.

I agree would add a nice perspective to the tank. I have already decided that Eleocharis sp.'mini' will replace my HC 'Cuba'.

One of my problems is; I fly for work, sometimes, a week or two at a time. Eleocharis sp.'mini' might be what I am looking for.

As for Stem plants any suggestions? I can literally grow anything in this tank so options are always good. If I could find an inline heater small enough to retro fit into my Eheim 2211 I'd be happy and remove one more piece of equipment out of the tank.

I have extra Seiryu Stones, so hardscape is not a problem, it's finding the right locations for some of these plants.

Gary
post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-07-2019, 08:03 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Stargrass, or H.zosterfolia would work wonders to soften things up. Place back where the heater is and let it grow tall(ish) behind the Spiderwood as well. Still wishing to keep the Staurogyne (fast growing plants help with nutrient uptake) and move the A.reineckii in front of the Stargrass.

I know the drawing is simplistic, but it gives a good idea of a much more improved layout (plant wise). I do plan to add more rocks but keep the Spiderwood and Blyxa where they are.

Gary

post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-21-2020, 02:24 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Wow, it's been a while since I updated, here is what the tank looks like as of yesterday at 3:05pm:

As you can see I am now using the Blyxa as focal point of the tank (I love how the leaves change color the closer to the light it gets). My Buce has really taken off and I can't remember a time where it didn't flower. Seems to do this constantly now.

Hairgrass needs a bit of a trim, but that will be this weekend. Looking at removing the A.reineckii 'roseafolia' as it was shaded out by the Hygro for enough time to stunt it. I plan to replace it with H.pinnatifida in the substrate and up the rocks at the side and call it a day.

Loads of little bubbles, that's the CO2, but this tank has proven its worth and I enjoy looking at it, getting lost.

I need more Chili rasboras (at least 10 more) and tons of Shrimp as buying only Males is counterproductive to keeping a colony going.

That white CO2 tubing needs to be replaced with the black tubing and eventually get my butt in gear to setup the external bubble counter and put in the atomizer. But I believe the tank has really grown in something I am pretty darn proud of.

The entire, complete Journal here: Taking the Plunge - Office Space II, Nano Planted | Windsor and Essex County Aquarium Forum

Gary
jmontee, ipkiss, doug105! and 1 others like this.
post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-25-2020, 03:19 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Monday, after my trim-o-rama on the Hairgrass I'll post some updated pictures. I have the feelers out for the Hygrophila pinnatifida.

I'm one of those people when I want something specific that was popular, it's almost impossible to find. When I decide to find an alternative, a week later, I will be tripping over the original item I was looking for. I accept it. Makes for great stories.

Another massive Snail cull this weekend.

I'm feeling MTS slowly creeping in again. That's a good thing.

Gary

post #21 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-28-2020, 11:36 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Click on the above link, last page.

Picture and some updated thoughts, really considering losing the hairgrass. Would think it would make a stunning constrast, dark grey/black soil versus green...

I think it's about time I start a journal.

Gary

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode