Critiques needed before I finalize hardscape - The Planted Tank Forum
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-07-2019, 04:56 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
https://imgur.com/a/jMtgHFD

I spent many hours today bringing this to life. I initially started with a basic triangle flow from right to left but I wasn't happy with the depth.

Instead, I went with a lopsided U where each side flows from biggest in the front to smallest in the back. I will be raising up the back to finalize the forced perspective as well. The little trail heading back should look pretty deep for just a 22 in long, which is simply not that deep to begin with.

There are triangles behind either side of rocks for planting, but I'm more curious about the hardscape at this point.

Materials are branchwood from AFA, lava rock from a local shop, powersand and amazonia aquasoil.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190706_213045_1562524050602.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	268.1 KB
ID:	883851  

Thelongsnail and Miller like this.

Last edited by Ddrizzle; 07-07-2019 at 06:27 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-07-2019, 01:51 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

That looks good. Some housekeeping things. Do you have room on the side of those rocks to clean the glass/substrate? Also why don't you embed the photo right in the thread you would get more feedback.
livebearerlove likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-07-2019, 06:27 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asteroid View Post
That looks good. Some housekeeping things. Do you have room on the side of those rocks to clean the glass/substrate? Also why don't you embed the photo right in the thread you would get more feedback.
Good point, I'll have to check about being able to scrape around them. I'll add the photo to the thread too.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-07-2019, 07:19 PM
Planted Member

I like it. My concern was the same as Asteroid about having room to clean the glass. Otherwise I think its quite nice.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-07-2019, 11:42 PM
Algae Grower

I like it. I would consider breaking off the vertical portion of the branch on the left (in the middle depth of the tank) because it is almost perfect 90 degrees.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-08-2019, 02:37 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcidGambit View Post
I like it. I would consider breaking off the vertical portion of the branch on the left (in the middle depth of the tank) because it is almost perfect 90 degrees.
Funny, I did just that before reading this.

I had to make a change mid hardscape after I raised the back because the wood didn't quite fit the same. In my frustration I removed a few rocks on the right and ended up keeping them that way for a place to hold some mid ground plants.

I'm not entirely happy with the shape of the trail to the back but I think I can fix that with some small lava rocks later.

Now I need to figure oit plants besides the carpet. I figure I'll stick the smaller stem plants ear the back trail and choose bigger ones to fill up behind the rocks.

Moss and plants for the front and midground? /sweat

New update with back raised, hardscape glued and baby tears planted for dry start.

I don't plan on actually taking up every visible inch with babys tears but figured I'd use what I have and let them go to town.

The first thing I want to do is make the path up to the back flow more and pinch itself towards the back for better depth.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20190707_202959_1562556669295.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	293.2 KB
ID:	883867  

Name:	20190707_202948_1562556676676.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	219.6 KB
ID:	883869  

Last edited by Darkblade48; 07-09-2019 at 12:21 AM. Reason: Please use the edit function for back to back posts to keep threads cleaner
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-08-2019, 05:11 AM
Planted Member

Beautiful!! Maybe some plants on the upper parts of the branches? The top of the hardscape looks a little bare. I would add some small mid ground plants on top of the hardscape.

'Happiness can be found even in the darkest of times, if only one remembers to turn on the light' -Albus Dumbledore

'Life is like riding a bicycle, to keep your balance you have to keep moving' -Albert Einstein

'When in doubt, water change it out' -Nikolaus(Fishlore)

'Give me a fish and I eat for a day. Teach me to fish and I eat for a lifetime.' -(unknown)

'The best way to observe a fish is to become a fish' -(unknown)
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-08-2019, 06:16 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquanerd13 View Post
Beautiful!! Maybe some plants on the upper parts of the branches? The top of the hardscape looks a little bare. I would add some small mid ground plants on top of the hardscape.

Thanks!

The top middle is bare and I'm not sure what I can do about it yet. My initial plan was to fill it with smaller looking stem plants. Both back corners have plenty of space ready for stem plants in general. Edit: actually I just broke off a few of the smaller drift wood branches and placed them in the back and they added even more depth while filling in the middle back a bit. Cool!

I definitely plan on putting moss or plants on the hardscape pieces but I'm not sure what those will be yet.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-08-2019, 04:23 PM
Planted Member

Perfect! I think after you do that it will be good. Maybe add just some shrimp at first to eat algae in hard to reach places?

'Happiness can be found even in the darkest of times, if only one remembers to turn on the light' -Albus Dumbledore

'Life is like riding a bicycle, to keep your balance you have to keep moving' -Albert Einstein

'Give me a fish and I eat for a day. Teach me to fish and I eat for a lifetime.' -(unknown)

post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-08-2019, 05:51 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Perfect! I think after you do that it will be good. Maybe add just some shrimp at first to eat algae in hard to reach places?
12 amanos are ready for duty in the 10 gallon 🙂
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-08-2019, 06:06 PM
Planted Member

Good. They will love the carpeting plants. What kind of carpeting plants are they? Do you have co2?

Bump: Where did you buy the rocks?

post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-08-2019, 06:58 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Good. They will love the carpeting plants. What kind of carpeting plants are they? Do you have co2?

Bump: Where did you buy the rocks?
Babys tears, and yeah I have the full co2 setup with a 5lb tank from my old setup.

I got the lava rock from nature aquarium in santa monica. He sells ada stuff and scapes a few nature style tanks there. He also mentioned that he likes to hand pick the rocks he brings to his store, and for the lava rock in particular he likes to find ones with faces that aren't the typical set of holes all over. You can see that in the big one on the right for sure.

When deciding on what to scape I saw that he was setting up a new tank with the lava rock and branch wood combo and I thought the colors worked well with each other so I tried it too.

Small update via twiggier branchwood pieces, mostly in the center right back. The dip to the right of those will have stem plants filling in the hole, or I might go back and grab more medium-small lava rock to see if they can fit in that area nicely.

I also reshaped the path with the intention of adding midsized plants surrounding the path as it curves up.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20190708_164814_1562629742103.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	259.2 KB
ID:	883895  

Last edited by Darkblade48; 07-09-2019 at 12:21 AM. Reason: Please use the edit function for back to back posts to keep threads cleaner
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-09-2019, 09:39 PM
Algae Grower

This looks awesome, great job.
Ddrizzle likes this.

post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-12-2019, 03:37 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan.Waite View Post
This looks awesome, great job.
Thanks! It my third tank and its leaps and bounds beyond my first one.

Also, I think I've finished the dry start hardscape. I created a fork in the path up the hill, with one trying to get up the "mountain" on the right. Plants will fill in the elft and right of the main curve up the hill.

I also filled in the mountains on the right to add a bit more to the midground.

Sidenote: using super glue and cigarette filters is pretty fun. The reaction smells EXACTLY like when they bond a filling in your tooth.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20190711_203027_1562902577721.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	344.5 KB
ID:	884019  

Name:	20190711_203037_1562902587350.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	257.8 KB
ID:	884021  

Last edited by Ddrizzle; 07-12-2019 at 04:41 AM. Reason: edit
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-12-2019, 05:50 PM
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (486/100%)
This is going to be a magnificent tank!

Have you decided on the type(s) of moss you plan to use?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode