Aquascaping Techniques to Reduce Fish/Crayfish Conflict - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 09:09 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Aquascaping Techniques to Reduce Fish/Crayfish Conflict

Currently I have White Clouds breeding in an tub outdoors and a juvenile marbled crayfish in a small tank indoors. When the temperatures drop I'm going to upgrade to a larger tank and consolidate the White Clouds and crayfish into one aquarium indoors. I would like to come up with a tank layout that would reduce the potential for conflict using rocks and driftwood. I'm planning on using aragonite substrate and the only plants will be some giant duckweed on the surface.

Anyone have experience with this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 12:28 AM
Planted Member

Well are you trying to save the crayfish from the fish or the fish from the crayfish?

this relationship is not like the relationship between a potentially agressive fish. The crayfish sees the white clouds as food. There is no arrangement of rocks and wood that will change that. What will stop the crayfish from eating the white clouds is him not being able to catch one. So I would not put any rocks or wood that allowed the crayfish to get higher in the tank. If the fish learn he is on the bottom they will hopefully avoid the bottom.

The crayfish will need a place he can be completely enclosed to molt. It should be big enough that he can move around it and it should have just one entrance he can block up with substrate when the time comes. If he doesn't have this then when he molts the fish may eat him even though they normally wouldn't be able to.

Take all of this with a grain of salt because its all based on my personal research into the matter as opposed to my experience. I really want to keep an electric blue crayfish with fish and plants and I was told by everyone who has tried it that you can expect fish losses or a dead crayfish eventually. I am stepping slowly away from the idea because I also want a heavily planted tank and I just don't think it will be possibly to keep up the plants and keep a crayfish happy at the same time.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 01:44 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I do understand that any conflict would likely mean missing white clouds in my case. I didn't know what an idea hide for crayfish was though so thank you for that. I figure any white clouds that decide to sleep on the substrate will run a high risk of being crayfish food. Yeah things may balance out naturally, but is there a setup that would promote them sleeping more mid water column? I'm also going to keep everyone well. And I can attest to crayfish eating plants, mine manages to get a hold of my duckweed and eats a fair amount.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 08:22 PM
Algae Grower

If you can create hiding spots that are big enough for minnows but too small for crayfish then I think that has potential to keep minnows alive!
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-26-2019, 12:55 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

After a bit more research I think I should be ok combining the two. My current plan is to make sure the crayfish has a nice hide, keep everyone well fed, and to provide high structure and cover so the white clouds feed as comfortable and safe as possible near the surface and mid level of the tank.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode