• 1 Post By DaveKS
  • 2 Post By 64D-1701
  • 2 Post By DaveKS
  • 2 Post By Ken Keating1

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-03-2019, 11:37 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
How to use driftwood to fake depth in a 55 gallon?

So I have a 55 gallon tank (largest tank I could fit in an area....I also want fish so I went as big as I could, not what was most convenient for aquascaping haha) and I'm trying to plan out my hardscape right now.

I'm trying to think about how to fake depth, which is the hardest and most necessary thing to make a 55 gallon look good I think. Things like short but broad leafed plants (within a carpet) in the front, and taller but smaller leafed plants in the back. I was thinking floaters would help minimize the height of the tank (due to floater roots coming down so it will help "bridge the gap").

I've been doing some reading on how to incorporate a hardscape with stones and driftwood into the scape. One of the things people talk about is "layering with driftwood" to create depth. I've seen this mentioned a bunch of times now while reading but I never was given an example. Anyone know what effect I'm trying to achieve here.

So.....I'm trying to think how a hardscape could help me with depth. Have driftwood angled instead of parallel with the tank? Maybe a big piece of driftwood in the foreground with the smaller pieces going towards the back?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-04-2019, 12:40 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Sense of depth is created by using negative space with very few plants and/or lower plants and hardscape to create a open area that reaches further back into tank than taller plants and driftwood surrounding it. Donít make a wall of tall plants/decor that goes from left to right across back of tank.

Even take some taller plants that you naturally might try to cram in back left corner to get them away from front glass and make a crescent shaped planting of them around left end bringing a few sprigs of that taller plant or wood much closer to front glass than you think. Here note that big wood and plants on ends are actually closer to front glass than most planted tanks would be.

Yours doesnít have to be this perfect but note that wood and plants placement actually make your eyes want look to see whatís beyond them in that negative space.
lettuceman44 likes this.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-04-2019, 02:00 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Yea I get that concept, but the 55gallon is so tall and thin.....makes things harder

Trying to go for a natural style, but I just can't picture it without looking flat.
Like there isn't enough space to have a proper foreground to background transition and to fill in the vertical height.

I'll keep the tip you gave in mind about bringing things closer to the foreground and using negative space. I like the idea of having some negative space just off center like in your picture.

Last edited by lettuceman44; 06-04-2019 at 02:53 AM. Reason: added new info

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-04-2019, 03:04 AM
Algae Grower

This is what I did in my 55 gal. The pic is kinda dark, but I made a spiderwood tree as a focal point, then built up with hardscape toward the rear. Attaching some plants to the taller hardscape helped with depth and height. Growing something high to cover the glass in the back helps. I used Japanese hydrocotyle tripartita. It's easy to grow, and it spreads. It'll wrap around tubes/pipes, and you can weight it down as necessary.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tree.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	500.0 KB
ID:	882327  

Greggz and lettuceman44 like this.

55 Gallon Planted / Pressurized CO2 / 2 Finnex Planted+ CC LEDs / Fluval 306 & 406 / Vecton UV / EI Ferts / Flourite Black
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-04-2019, 03:40 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Looks like both pictures posted used thinner more "brancy" driftwood.

Usually I liked more "solid" pieces in my tanks, kind of like Malaysian driftwood. Given how thin a 55g is though, would a more thin, branchy driftwood work better?
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-04-2019, 04:05 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Big stand of jungle Val at one end, pretty much front to back, big long strap like vertical leaves that go all way to water surface and drape across surface, framing in whole end of tank. Your tank is perfect height for that plant.

Go to other end of tank, put a nice big piece wood(s), angle it’s end/tip pointing towards middle of tank. Fill in behind wood with some Nymphoides sp Taiwan (2-3).

You’ve now framed in that big long flat tall picture frame of a tank. Its up to you now not to destroy what depth you do have by cramming that center area full and definitely not lining whole back wall with bunches of tall stem plants. Use a wispier plant like crinum calamistratum along back wall.

Last edited by DaveKS; 06-04-2019 at 06:09 AM. Reason: Typo
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-04-2019, 04:10 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
Trying to use driftwood in a 55 to get the appearance of depth is difficult, at least for me. I tried, but once you set the driftwood in place, there's not much room in front and back. Mine's more of the natural/garden style, but it really doesn't look flat. Photos can be seen in my journal.

Highly recommend you start a tank journal, there's lots of helpful folks here on TPT, and a journal will generate a lot of great help and recommendations.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-04-2019, 05:15 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks guys for the tips. It gives me enough to start thinking about what I want to do.

@Ken Keating1, I'll probably take your advice and start a tank journal. It definitely should help out.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode