substrate separation - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-24-2019, 01:35 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
substrate separation

Tried some searches to no avail... how does one keep different substrates separated in an aquascape? I am thinking that there will need to be some type of barrier, between the different type of substrates to keep them from mixing, but i cant figure out what would be a good material. cardboard would bend to different shapes, and not be so wide as to be very visible, especially once plants have grown in, but I think it would turn to mush very quickly and no longer keep the substrate from mixing. any ideas? please? thankx.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-24-2019, 01:59 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
I think a lot of people use corrugated plastic. Like yard signs are made from. Readily available, cheap and easy to work with. I think Home Depot carries black pieces. Dividers will help keep things separate. The size and weight of your substrates can make a difference. If you have fish it will probably require some maintenance. If you do a search on the forum for "substrate dividers" literally hundreds of relevant threads will come up.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-24-2019, 02:52 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I searched substrate separation and didnt find anything I will try dividers. I have used those, but only for slopes, with the same substrate throughout. those corrugated pieces seem difficult to achieve curved shapes, but maybe i will need to plan it out and silicone the divider to the bottom of the aquarium in the shape I want and then fill the substrate in. I was looking for something where just the weight of the substrate on either side would hold the shape I wanted.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-26-2019, 12:52 PM
Algae Grower

I have seen people use the corrugated plastic as dividers on curved shapes. To start with you tape them in place on the ends and use rocks to hold the bends. Then as you add substrate to both sides you can remove the tape and rocks and the equal pressure/weight from both sides holds it in place.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode