Plant selection help needed - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-14-2019, 04:56 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)
Plant selection help needed

I have a spot thatís about to be open in the midground and I canít think of anything amazing that could go there. I need some suggestions! My water is on the harder side gh 10-11 kh 6. Co2 injected and 50-75 par depending on the part of the slope. Also a 1.5 month old inert substrate.

I will be moving the lobelia cardinalis mini on the left into a single grouping on the right. Hopefully the blyxa on the left recovers from the planting and bushes and I am expecting the Ludwigia glandulosa in the rear left will take up a little bit more room forward. I will be moving the rotala indica in the middle to the left side and actually plant it into a group. So Iím looking for something to go between the pogostemon erectus and the pogostemon helferi. Could even be two smaller patches of something.

I planted the Monte Carlo yesterday and everything else has been in about a month. What should I get?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-14-2019, 05:24 AM
OVT
Carpe Diem

PTrader: (144/100%)
I would try a rosette plant with broader contrasting leaves. Either one of the minI swords like kleiner prinz or a crypt like Mi Oya, crypt nurii, or wendtii bronze.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-14-2019, 11:54 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Thank you for your suggestions. My worry with those selections would be the wingspan of those plants getting in the way of the others. My goal is to simply grow the plants well in a Dutch style of planting. I rearranged the plants to what I was talking about in the first post during todayís water change. The only thing left to move is the helferi which I would take the couple in the higher position and move them down to fill in the space where I just moved some Monte Carlo. Iím still nervous with helferi as this is the first time Iíve had it and even though itís growing well (lil slow) I want it to establish a bit more before I move any.

I am considering ar mini as it will be a decent red (which I donít think the Rubin and Glandulosa will get super red with my lighting) and have a contrasting leaf texture. And based on the space I could do another plant as well. Oh and this is a 15 gallon aquarium for size reference. Canít wait for this to fill in over the next couple of months! What are some good suggestions?!? Thanks all!!

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 09:21 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
To me your going backwards, find your main centerpiece plant and then plant around it. I would take those helferi on right and cluster them all around rock on left. Then right in middle of where they were Iíd put a dwarf water lily with big, bold, wide red leaves. Then move a couple of your erectus so they circle around to left of lily bulb and come forward a bit on left.

All your leaves are small, layout is to symmetrical. You need a slightly lower center piece splash that may require a wide planting swath and actual limit how many plants you can fit behind it. This is a good thing, it creates a field of depth where you can see farther back into tank. The taller plants will fill in on left and right, that way itís not just a solid wall of plants from one end to the other.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 09:02 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

So Iím think ar variegated on the right side and left but slightly lower and then maybe something orange in between right in front of the erectus. May also have the erectus growing a group down towards the center instead of left to right on the back wall and then an orangish plant doing the same to the left of it and then keep the ar variegated on both sides. Weíll see. Thinking out loud.

Update: ended up picking up some new tissue cultures to fully plant. Rearranged plants removed rocks. Will still be more or less just a farm tank not really aquascaped so much as just growing these plants well and getting trimming down as well as I can with them.

Last edited by Willcooper; 05-03-2019 at 06:23 PM.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode