Black Lava Rock - The Planted Tank Forum
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-12-2019, 09:21 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Black Lava Rock

Okay everyone, I understand that I can purchase lava rock online at all the planted tank sites. But i dont want to pay the enormous premium these stores ask for plus shipping.
Where do you all find black lava rock?
I should specify that I'm not looking for .t" pieces, I want 6" pieces or more.
I have tried local landscaping companies and the closest I got was loose pieces of large Red lava rock.
I have a 17 gallon I'm going to be setting up and this is my rock of choice. Can someone help me not pay a ton of money for very few rocks?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-13-2019, 02:12 AM
Algae Grower

Landscaping companies really are going to be the most economical. Depending on where you go, they may even allow you to take a few rocks as 'free samples' - my local landscaping supply did this, as they sell by weight and I only wanted 2 or 3 rocks. Lava rock is easy enough to break with a chisel and hammer if you can only find large pieces.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-13-2019, 02:56 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hygropunk View Post
Landscaping companies really are going to be the most economical. Depending on where you go, they may even allow you to take a few rocks as 'free samples' - my local landscaping supply did this, as they sell by weight and I only wanted 2 or 3 rocks. Lava rock is easy enough to break with a chisel and hammer if you can only find large pieces.
A slight highjack, Where did you find the black lava rock in central Cal? I'd like to get some but I don't find it in my local yards. (Merced area)

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-13-2019, 04:04 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kubla View Post
A slight highjack, Where did you find the black lava rock in central Cal? I'd like to get some but I don't find it in my local yards. (Merced area)
Fresno. Rosenbalm Rockery has a really good selection.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-13-2019, 05:02 PM
Algae Grower

I'm pretty sure I've seen it at both Lowe's and Home Depot. Check in the garden section or where they have the fire pit/grill accessories. It also looks like Home Depot has free shipping if you order it online and have it shipped to your local store.

Last edited by LadyWonkyMcJankeypants; 03-13-2019 at 05:05 PM. Reason: add info
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-13-2019, 05:27 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

@hygropunk agreed they are the best place to go, unfortunately any place local to me doesn't carry a decent size of black, only the red. Agreed that I may only need a few large stones, I'm just struggling to find it anywhere. @LadyWonkyMcJankeypants yep, Lowe's and home depot do allow you to order in, but once again no where near the cost of a rock yard. I suppose for some of us it is just an inescapable cost.

|
|
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-14-2019, 04:25 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (20/100%)
Home Depot online has XXL Black Lava Rock. Delivery should be free at your nearest HD. They said it is 4-6" but I got pretty decent pieces. Prices are $14.40 for 10 lbs bag and $28.80 for 20lbs bag
LinaS and swarley like this.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-14-2019, 07:38 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (4/100%)
https://www.homedepot.com/p/American...G1EySxbiz9eDPE

$15 for 10lb doesnt seem too much I guess...
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-15-2019, 03:35 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidef View Post
Home Depot online has XXL Black Lava Rock. Delivery should be free at your nearest HD. They said it is 4-6" but I got pretty decent pieces. Prices are $14.40 for 10 lbs bag and $28.80 for 20lbs bag
Agreed not bad price, just one of those things where I wanted the ability to choose each rock. Potentially bigger than this size as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LinaS View Post
https://www.homedepot.com/p/American...G1EySxbiz9eDPE

$15 for 10lb doesnt seem too much I guess...
Once again I agree, but it's just the ability to choose and didnt know if they were any good etc.

|
|
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-17-2019, 03:26 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Okay all, barring some very nice people's success, there no one local I can get black lava rock off.
So I have decided to go with the home depot method as others have suggested. Once I receive the rock I will take some photos and kind of document what it is you could expect from these bags. My hope is that the rocks mostly size in at around 6 inches. Time will tell.
Thanks everyone for your help

|
|
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-18-2019, 09:26 PM

If home depot doesn't work out check out chewy.com. I got an 11lb bag of dragon stone in assorted sizes for 32 bucks free shipping and I will never have to purchase again there was so much of it. They had black lava rock and other popular aquascaping rocks too so might be worth looking into for future projects
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-18-2019, 10:55 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8ahau2018 View Post
If home depot doesn't work out check out chewy.com. I got an 11lb bag of dragon stone in assorted sizes for 32 bucks free shipping and I will never have to purchase again there was so much of it. They had black lava rock and other popular aquascaping rocks too so might be worth looking into for future projects
Chewy only has red lava rock, not black.
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 02:23 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

An update for those who may be interested in the future. American Fire Glass from home depot, or wherever else it is available, is worth the purchase.
The rocks came in various sizes, I ordered the XXL bags and some were larger than 6" some smaller than 3". Overall extremely pleased.
These are the two scapes that have come out of these rocks so far.

20 gal

5 gal

I recommend anyone looking for black lava rock, that doesn't have a nearby landscaping company that carries it, buy these rocks. Will not be disappointed.
Cheers

|
|
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-10-2019, 03:52 PM
Algae Grower

How many bags did you buy? I'm thinking of going this route for a Spec V. I assume I'd only need a single bag.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-11-2019, 01:02 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by bortass View Post
How many bags did you buy? I'm thinking of going this route for a Spec V. I assume I'd only need a single bag.
Spec V only one bag, and I am sure your have plenty left over. Only issue of course, you can't choose the rocks they give and that means that some will inevitably not be what you want. I used those as my filler rocks, smashing them up etc.

|
|

Last edited by Jamo33; 10-11-2019 at 03:53 PM.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode