My first attempt at a Bonsai tree aquascape. - The Planted Tank Forum
 9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-05-2019, 07:46 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Smile My first attempt at a Bonsai tree aquascape.

Here goes nothing. I'm planning to add mini pellia on it. This scape is in a UNS 5N low iron rimless 4 gallon tank. I love the miter cut glass on these UNS tanks. The light is the Flexi Mini. Love that light. They should just call it the Apple iLluminate. I love how it swivels to the side whenever I need to maintain the tank. Super convenient. I'm planning to build an aquarium cabinet for it with a hidden door. When closed, you can't see the door, because it's miter cut on the edges and closes flush with the edge of the cabinet. Planning to stain the wood weathered gray.

Immortal1 and Cinnamonamon like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-05-2019, 08:26 AM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshism View Post
Here goes nothing. I'm planning to add mini pellia on it. This scape is in a UNS 5N low iron rimless 4 gallon tank. I love the miter cut glass on these UNS tanks. The light is the Flexi Mini. Love that light. They should just call it the Apple iLluminate. I love how it swivels to the side whenever I need to maintain the tank. Super convenient. I'm planning to build an aquarium cabinet for it with a hidden door. When closed, you can't see the door, because it's miter cut on the edges and closes flush with the edge of the cabinet. Planning to stain the wood weathered gray.

i think it will better if yiu move the bonsai to the left alittle bit

From Hochiminh city, Vietnam
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-05-2019, 08:33 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viet Phuong View Post
Quote:

i think it will better if yiu move the bonsai to the left alittle bit <a href="https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/images/smilie/icon_smile.gif" border="0" alt="" title="Smile" >:-)</a>

From Hochiminh city, Vietnam
Yes, I plan to. I like the rule of thirds. You probably didn’t notice, but if you compare the first picture to the fourth picture, I actually cut off a piece from the left of the driftwood bottom so that I can move it to the left. For these pictures, I just threw it in.
Immortal1 likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-05-2019, 02:38 PM
Captain

PTrader: (1/100%)
Curious what you used to attach the smaller twigs to the larger base?
I do like what you have so far!

post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-05-2019, 06:50 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Immortal1 View Post
Curious what you used to attach the smaller twigs to the larger base?
I do like what you have so far!
I just drilled holes and super glue. I like using a piece of driftwood instead of glued sawdust.
Immortal1 likes this.

post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-07-2019, 08:28 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

I hope dipping mini pellia in potassium permanganate won't kill it. I can't stand snails. Hopefully it'll kill off all the worms and copepods as well. I just superglued all the branches and the roots and it's positioned according to the rule of thirds. lol

post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-07-2019, 12:32 PM
Algae Grower

dank
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-23-2019, 04:29 AM
Algae Grower

Looks good. I like what you have so far.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-26-2019, 09:57 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Beautiful now that it moved to the left a bit. Really neat...
I did bonsai type aquascapes for years before they became 'out of style'. Im trying to do a regular 'scape' and running on fumes moving things every day. ugh.

To me they are classic- and you have the makings of a great setup. Congrats!

Bump:
Quote:
I can't stand snails.

Get a couple assassin snails.... then no snails but them! haha.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-27-2019, 11:09 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by livebearerlove View Post
Beautiful now that it moved to the left a bit. Really neat...
I did bonsai type aquascapes for years before they became 'out of style'. Im trying to do a regular 'scape' and running on fumes moving things every day. ugh.

To me they are classic- and you have the makings of a great setup. Congrats!

Bump:
Quote:
I can't stand snails.

Get a couple assassin snails.... then no snails but them! haha.
I only saw two good bonsai scapes online. Most of the bonsai scapes I saw were not very good. I had to really study how to do real bonsai trees in order to do this correctly, and I feel that I have barely touched the surface of bonsai art. I think the real reason why it went out of style is because most people did not take the time to learn the bonsai art. Most people just glued moss on top of driftwood, hoping the moss growth would later make up for their lack of bonsai talent. I noticed that there are some patterns that bonsai artists look for.

post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-27-2019, 11:42 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
I only saw two good bonsai scapes online. Most of the bonsai scapes I saw were not very good. I had to really study how to do real bonsai trees in order to do this correctly, and I feel that I have barely touched the surface of bonsai art. I think the real reason why it went out of style is because most people did not take the time to learn the bonsai art. Most people just glued moss on top of driftwood, hoping the moss growth would later make up for their lack of bonsai talent. I noticed that there are some patterns that bonsai artists look for.

That is correct. I was actually obsessed with bonsai... but I wanted something to 'water itself' and the idea of having critters live in it was fascinating to me. I went gang busters to create a fully sustainable ecosystem (which i did in fact accomplish). I wish I had more pictures.

If you look at real bonsai scapes, you will see that the tank is often out of proportion kind like dollhouses...(its one of my pet peeves). Im really excited to see how your tank works out.
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 02:04 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I just re-read your post.

" I'm planning to add mini pellia on it"

That is the same as coral moss in USA. I highly DONT recommend it. It is extremely slow growing, comes apart is tiny pieces if not on mesh and will give you oodles of trouble. I use it for my 'carpet' and tried putting it on trees multiple times and just ended up with angst.

Mini christmas moss is great for nano tanks... but coral moss is a bit of a nightmare and you may really regret it.
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 02:58 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
Very cool windswept tree you created there

92% of all statistics are made up on the spot.
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 04:52 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (9/100%)
I'd be super tempted not to add greenery to that tree. Once the moss grows in I would think it would hide the details in the branches you've created so beautifully.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-03-2019, 01:23 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (36/100%)
Quote:
I hope dipping mini pellia in potassium permanganate won't kill it. I can't stand snails. Hopefully it'll kill off all the worms and copepods as well. I just superglued all the branches and the roots and it's positioned according to the rule of thirds. lol

How did the mini pellia stand up to a pottasium permagniimate dip?
I love using that stuff. I usually do a deep purple mixture and put plants in for 30 minutes then rinse,

Due to photobuckets new bs cost for use of images on forums I have deleted all photobucket accounts. I apologize if you enjoyed or found my photos helpful.

~
~
~
~

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode