Aquascaping Ideas - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-28-2019, 05:39 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Aquascaping Ideas

Hi fellow tankers. I am drawing a blank with this tank and need some input. It is a 40 breeder that's been up and running for 7 plus years. The substrate is fluorite (which I don't care for, too dusty), my water is hard well water, and the light is Fluval's first plant LED light (Aqualife & Plant full spectrum). I honestly have no idea if that puts me in the medium or high light range. I've used up to 3 layers of window screen to dim it in the past but right now I only have one layer on it. I do not inject CO2 although I've kicked the idea around a little. I use root tabs and once a week dose with Thrive C and every other day Potassium for the Hygro which has really helped it and occasional Excel dosing. The floaters are a PITA but without them the light is too strong. My goal for this tank has always been lush and green but somehow it always looks sparse. What is missing in this tank? Move the driftwood? Move the plants? I recently moved some of the crypts around and they all had significant melt which deters me from moving anymore but a lot of the lower growing crypts ended up in the back somehow and I know they should be moved up front. I know I'll be moving within the year and I would like to swap out the fluorite for BDBS but I don't know if that's such a good idea either because of all the accumulated nutrients in the fluorite. All ideas welcome!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1888.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	357.7 KB
ID:	878271  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1889.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	408.3 KB
ID:	878273  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-02-2019, 12:22 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwal83 View Post
Hi fellow tankers. I am drawing a blank with this tank and need some input. It is a 40 breeder that's been up and running for 7 plus years. The substrate is fluorite (which I don't care for, too dusty), my water is hard well water, and the light is Fluval's first plant LED light (Aqualife & Plant full spectrum). I honestly have no idea if that puts me in the medium or high light range. I've used up to 3 layers of window screen to dim it in the past but right now I only have one layer on it. I do not inject CO2 although I've kicked the idea around a little. I use root tabs and once a week dose with Thrive C and every other day Potassium for the Hygro which has really helped it and occasional Excel dosing. The floaters are a PITA but without them the light is too strong. My goal for this tank has always been lush and green but somehow it always looks sparse. What is missing in this tank? Move the driftwood? Move the plants? I recently moved some of the crypts around and they all had significant melt which deters me from moving anymore but a lot of the lower growing crypts ended up in the back somehow and I know they should be moved up front. I know I'll be moving within the year and I would like to swap out the fluorite for BDBS but I don't know if that's such a good idea either because of all the accumulated nutrients in the fluorite. All ideas welcome!

i think it need bigger driftwood

From Hochiminh city, Vietnam
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-05-2019, 01:04 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

CO2 helps, a ton, and I'd recommend it but it's not necessary to make a beautiful aquascape. But I must agree with Viet Phuong. You need bigger stones and bigger wood.

Also, i wouldn't worry too much about substrate. For me it's either inert sand like PFS/BDBS or Aquasoil. (You can do dirt + cap, but for me thats only practical in a farm tank, and not an aquascape)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-23-2019, 04:47 AM
Algae Grower

I agree with the other two. Needs a more prominent hardscape. Maybe build up a hill on one side or in a back corner so that it isn't so flat looking (unless of course that's the look you were going for).

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode