New to the hobby - Page 2 - The Planted Tank Forum
 15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-03-2018, 06:10 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Thanks Swarley. I polished up the slopes a bit, and added a bit of detail. In particular the shore of the sand lake in the foreground right is framed now. I suspect if I don't do this then the sand and soil will mix.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180804_003632.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	51.5 KB
ID:	866319  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-05-2018, 01:05 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Talking

Day 0

HC and dwarf hairgrass is in. Rocks have been painted with chopped fissiden combo yogurt stew, and tank has been misted.

Fingers crossed !!!

All up I put around 3 gallons of water into the tank. Hopefully not too dry.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20180805_193852.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	73.6 KB
ID:	866473  

Discusluv likes this.
post #18 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-05-2018, 04:14 PM
Planted Member

Subscribing to this thread and looking forward to see your progress

post #19 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-05-2018, 05:22 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
I was going to say I liked the first plan over the 2nd, but this 3rd one is the best of both. Really nice.
post #20 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-05-2018, 06:34 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Chan View Post
Day 0

HC and dwarf hairgrass is in. Rocks have been painted with chopped fissiden combo yogurt stew, and tank has been misted.

Fingers crossed !!!

All up I put around 3 gallons of water into the tank. Hopefully not too dry.
How many cups of DHG/HC did you end up using?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
20 Gallon jungle tank
2.8 Gallon Fluval Spec
2.5 Gallon DHG shrimp tank
2 Gallon Sparkling Gourami underworld

RAOK CLUB #0
post #21 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-05-2018, 08:23 PM
Wannabe Guru

Very different hardscape but hey this is looking way more appealing than the previous hardscape you made. Good job man. Trust me almost every new hardscape you make in tank or scape box will be better!

I really like the start on the left focal point. Now add lots of small stones with texture around and create nice combos. Especially on the left main stone feed that bottom with stones to make layers.

And don't forget that big slope . Small lava chunks are not that expensive and will stay for a very long time. Just invest in it once. And if you don't want a mess when you rescape you can consider to pack them in filter bags. This way it is easy to seperate from soil once you rescape.

EDIT: I only saw the first page I see you planted it now. If you are happy with it than it's good!

Be sure that the soil is moist but no water pools!

I don't really like the cosmetic sand atm. I would replace it with soil or make something like a path towards the back. Or have cosmetic sand on the full tank in the front.

My Tanks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

|

Subscribe to my

Follow me on

post #22 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-05-2018, 08:56 PM
Algae Grower

I love how people are total perfectionists here.

"Actually I walk around with the Emmy wherever I go, but I'm very casual about it."

Underwater video of my tank:

post #23 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-06-2018, 01:05 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I used about half a square foot of HC, and a quarter square foot of DHG.

Bump:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curb Your Aquarium View Post
I love how people are total perfectionists here.
I agree, I think this is a hobby that appeals to perfectionists, myself included
post #24 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-06-2018, 01:18 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel95 View Post
Very different hardscape but hey this is looking way more appealing than the previous hardscape you made. Good job man. Trust me almost every new hardscape you make in tank or scape box will be better!

I really like the start on the left focal point. Now add lots of small stones with texture around and create nice combos. Especially on the left main stone feed that bottom with stones to make layers.

And don't forget that big slope . Small lava chunks are not that expensive and will stay for a very long time. Just invest in it once. And if you don't want a mess when you rescape you can consider to pack them in filter bags. This way it is easy to seperate from soil once you rescape.

EDIT: I only saw the first page I see you planted it now. If you are happy with it than it's good!

Be sure that the soil is moist but no water pools!

I don't really like the cosmetic sand atm. I would replace it with soil or make something like a path towards the back. Or have cosmetic sand on the full tank in the front.
Thanks Nigel, hopefully I get to make many more. I'm liking my sand lake right now, but this one I can change fairly easily as my sand is essentially small pebbles. I'll re-evaluate after it has grown a bit.

Does your advice on the deep slope apply to this kind of layout where we essentially have an island in the mid ground, rather than a landscape background? I'm trying to visualize the perspective we would be trying to create.
post #25 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-06-2018, 11:44 PM
Wannabe Guru

You can also do a V shape, sides high slope and lower towards middle / golden ratio. I like big slopes in all layouts because it gives more depth and I like filled scapes with less negative space. Do what you want Analyze scapes and see what you like.

My Tanks

|

Subscribe to my

Follow me on

post #26 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-11-2018, 10:10 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Hi buddy. Totally agree with (Top 500 Nigel) lol. Sorry i couldn't resist it lol.

Not many straight lines in nature. I would consider angling those stones slightly just to create movement in your scape. It is a bit uniform. People get too precise and technical with hardscape and copy everyone elses. Then you get thousands all identical to each other.

Took me a few hours of moving mine around before i got the shape i liked. As you can see, even tried slate.

Good luck buddyClick image for larger version

Name:	received_10211429152863863.jpeg
Views:	17
Size:	116.6 KB
ID:	866899Click image for larger version

Name:	received_10211379736988497.jpeg
Size:	142.8 KB
ID:	866901Click image for larger version

Name:	20180217_201552.jpeg
Size:	74.7 KB
ID:	866903Click image for larger version

Name:	natures path 2.jpeg
Views:	16
Size:	85.5 KB
ID:	866905

Sent from my SM-A530F using Tapatalk
post #27 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-12-2018, 03:35 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Week 2

So, the dry start did not go well. Mold started appearing on the second day, despite leaving the top of the tank open, so after battling this for a week I decide to heavily plant and flood the tank. Bring it on algae! In addition to DHG and HC, I planted:

Alternanthera Reineckii Mini
Cyperus Helferi
Lindernia Rotundifolia ‘Variegated’
Ludwigia Super Red
Echinodorus latifolius
Limnophila Sessiliflora
Flame moss (Taxiphyllum sp.)(Packet)
Alternanthera Lilacina
Staurogyne Repens
Lobelia Cardinalis
Alternanthera Rosefolia
Myriophyllum Matogrossense
Blyxa Japonica
Ammannia Nesaea

Dosed with some potassium (suggested by guy at shop), added some liquid carbon, and half a small bottle of beneficial bacteria. I've ordered 4 liters of thrive but that won't arrive for a week.

Here are some pics taken a couple hours after planting. I'm pleased that everything stayed in the ground (I think the week was long enough for my grass to get some roots down). Also pleased that my tank is fairly clear. I'm not sure if the moss stew I painted on my rocks is still alive (Does it look dead or alive?). At least it appears to have stuck on. Will update again in a week.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20180812_180721.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	159.4 KB
ID:	866943  

Name:	20180812_220715.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	254.2 KB
ID:	866945  

Name:	20180812_220702.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	280.1 KB
ID:	866947  

post #28 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-12-2018, 05:47 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Wow, it's absolutely gorgeous. I love that you expanded the white sand area, and the placement of the red plants.

¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((º>
post #29 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-12-2018, 07:04 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Very nice scape.

post #30 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-21-2018, 12:58 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Week 3

The tank is cycled, fish have joined the party, but progress on my plants is mixed.

My stem plants have all been going great (Limnophila Sessiliflora has grown 20cm!), but my Blyxa Japonica and Staurogyne Repens have suffered a lot of melt (about 50% of the leaf mass). Also my Pogostemon Helferi has been decimated (it looked pretty dead from day one though). I'm hoping that this is simply an adjustment thing, and that they can bounce back over the next couple of weeks. Also, about 30% of my HC has gone brown and floated away, but the rest is getting roots down and looks healthy. I read that one should start dosing ferts only after the plants have established themselves. Is this the case or should I start dosing now? I've been blasting Co2 into my tank, but have cut back to a lower level now that fish have joined. Also seen a few patches of thread algae pop up, but nothing explosive.

Here is a pic of my Dwarf Gourami He loves chewing on plants, but so far it has just been the dead and melted leaves, which he is welcome to snack on. I named him Salad Fingers. He is joined by a school of ember tetras, some ottos, loaches, and a couple of honey gourami.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	fish2.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	319.5 KB
ID:	867549  

Name:	plant1 (2).jpg
Views:	34
Size:	263.8 KB
ID:	867551  

Name:	20180819_224439.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	259.3 KB
ID:	867553  

rzn7z7 likes this.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode