How to glue aquarium hardscape with cigarette filter (wood & rocks) - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Nigel95

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-19-2018, 09:04 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
How to glue aquarium hardscape with cigarette filter (wood & rocks)

Great method to combine hardscape. Really strong and quick.

You can buy cheap empty cigarettes for this. Like 200 cost me €2.

To hide white filter spots you can put glue on top of the filter and sprinkle with crushed aquasoil or crushed stone (depending on which on you use).

I used this in my mountain scape in all the crevices to make the aquascape firm for transport and maintenance.

mountain hardscape top view by Nigel Aquascaping, on Flickr
Oso Polar likes this.

My Tanks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|

Subscribe to my

Follow me on

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 02:13 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
Wow can't believe you got no responses from this post. This is an awesome technique, thank you for sharing. Glad I watched the video before I tried this I would have freaked out once it started smoking if I didn't.

One question, how much weight would you trust with this technique? I want to use it to anchor one lava rock to another and they wight ~10-15 lbs (5 kilos) a piece.

Well that's just like.........your opinion man.

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 04:57 PM
Planted Member

Jurijs Jutjajevs has shown this type on one of his videos and it helps gluing to disimular materials together.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLg...8HtIcKp33x0hdw

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-24-2019, 01:24 AM
Algae Grower

I would have thought that the filters would disintegrate after a while. Is this the preferred method over using something like silicon or marine epoxy putty? Is it stronger, or just easier?
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-24-2019, 11:31 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
You can also use thermoplastics and glue. Itís very Mirable and can confirm with the rocks. Iíve done the cigarette filter and glue technique but you have to be careful with older wood that youíve used before. Especially manzanita. The old bark flakes off and it will mess up your hardscape. Newer wood is much better.

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-01-2019, 03:53 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcidGambit View Post
I would have thought that the filters would disintegrate after a while. Is this the preferred method over using something like silicon or marine epoxy putty? Is it stronger, or just easier?
Cigarette filter material is cellulose acetate. It shouldn't disintegrate, but even if it did, it would likely be inconsequential.

ďScience, my lad, is made up of mistakes, but they are mistakes which it is useful to make, because they lead little by little to the truth.Ē -Jules Verne
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-07-2019, 03:15 AM
Algae Grower

Thanks for sharing! Very nice technique!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode