• 2 Post By SkyLight
  • 1 Post By DaveK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-04-2018, 05:20 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Suggestions for aquascaping

Hi everyone,

First of all, I just wanted to say thanks! You've all been so helpful over the past several months as I've taken your advice as a newbie on how to set up a new tank. Any issues I had, you had advice on! Really thankful for being part of this community. You've also inspired me to give back and I've already started offering my advice based on my experience to those who are coming after me. So, BIG THANKS!

Now that my 90g tank is up and running with 3 rainbows, 3 gouramis, 4 otos, 4 amano shrimps, and 7 nerite snails, I am starting to focus on beautification. I am attaching a photo of the tank just before I added the gouramis and rainbows. Would love your advice on how I should move my plants around and what other easy plants (I am still a newbie and this is a low tech setup without CO2) I should consider planting. I'll also try to upload a video of my tank if I can.

Thank you in advance for your thoughts!

Linking a video of my tank with the rainbows and gouramis... Probably gives better perspective of the current aquascaping than the picture alone.

https://youtu.be/jvaNPOxs0RU
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180601_065046_1528129239329.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	15.0 KB
ID:	859209  

Greggz and Greggz like this.

Last edited by Darkblade48; 06-05-2018 at 06:04 AM. Reason: Please use the edit function for back to back posts to keep threads cleaner
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-05-2018, 09:55 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Bumping - to get some help on how to make this tank look more beautiful. How should I move the plants? what other changes can I consider?

By the way, I saw this morning that my 4 amano shrimp are gone probably eaten by the rainbows or the gouramis. So sad They were a great cleanup crew and happy swimmers - sad to see them gone ...
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-05-2018, 10:50 PM
Wannabe Guru

How you aquascape your tank is mostly a personal choice. Everyone does it differently and there is no really right or wrong answer. Here are a few things I'd do, but don't feel bound to doing any of this.

Get more plants. Initially go for ones that are easy to keep. You can remove them and get other, more exotic plants later. Keep in mind that most people looking at your tank are not going to be planted aquarium people, and will have no idea about the plants you have in there. Most of my own plants are in this category. I mostly have some java fern variety windelov, jave moss, anubias nana, and cryptocoryne wendtii, and some dwarf sag. Most of these plants are in the "almost impossible to kill" category. Some in the hobby might even consider then weeds (grin).

Get a few bunches of the various stem plants and plant them so you have some cover. These are used to help keep algae down and show off a lot of green initially. Note that some of the plants I listed above are slow growers. Once the other plants fill in, you can remove the stem plants if you don't like them.

Give your tank time. Don't try to rush things. Once you get the tank established, live plants reproduce, and you'll have a massive surplus of them.
Desert Pupfish likes this.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-06-2018, 12:54 AM
Wannabe Guru

I would also start with personal preference and what makes you happy! I am no professional scaper, and would say I have the best eye for things, but enjoy creating scapes that look good to me.

I like how the driftwood is almost island like in the tanks. One of the most difficult thing I think you are facing is it seems to be a 360 viewable tank. Take a look from all sides. You can almost create a few different shapes if you do this, and that could be really fun!

For plants I think the post above says it pretty well. Java ferns, anubias, and stems like water sprite could look great.

Beat of luck! And enjoy the process!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-07-2018, 05:04 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (31/100%)
I think the easiest thing to do is browse the tank journals or Google images for inspiration, everyone has their own ideas on what they like and seeing others always helps.

Personally, I think doing something like heavily planting the right 1/3 of the aquarium with ferns and easy stems while keeping the rest of it unplanted might look cool. With a bunch of anubias on the driftwood. That is just my opinion, part of the fun is figuring out what you want to turn your tank into.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-07-2018, 05:44 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks everyone!
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-20-2019, 12:35 PM

I've been going around in circles about this tangerine tree that I cut down. No rot to the tree I've got all the bark cleaned off and I've had it hanging drying for about a month. It's beautiful black wood but again it's a tangerine tree does anyone know if I can use this as a Hardscape?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	15742532143644232784955795080613_1574253229402.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	3.04 MB
ID:	889767  

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-01-2019, 12:03 AM
Mud
Algae Grower

I really like how your driftwood is off center using the "thirds" method - it is really pretty. I agree with the prior post on starting with a few easy plants and take time to go and design.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode