Crazy Glue Killed 3 out of 5 Phantom Tetras - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-19-2018, 08:02 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Crazy Glue Killed 3 out of 5 Phantom Tetras

Just want to warn everyone about the dangers of crazy glue and Phantom Tetras. I run two tanks - a reef and a fresh water planted tank. Iíve used crazy glue in the reef extensively without incident and in the planted on several occasions. This time, I was glueing some java moss to some rocks underwater and I walked away for a few mins and found that one of my Tetras had died. A few minutes later, two others ended up dying as well. I did an Internet search and found someone else who lost several Phantoms while crazy glueing something in his planted tank. I think for some reason, Phantoms are more susceptible to something released while the crazy glue is curing. I also have eight Neon Tetras and they were fine. Note, the Phantoms usually hang out close to the spot I glued, so it may have been as a result of their proximity to the curing glue. In any case, just a warning everyone!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-19-2018, 08:06 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Cyanoacrylate shouldn't have killed your fish. Are you sure you used a pure cyanoacrylate product? It cures immediately in water.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-19-2018, 08:13 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I can't say I've ever seen any issues with CA glue. I have never attempted to glue anything underwater either. I have drained tank half way and glued pieces of moss here and there and filled back up with no issues. I have also taken smaller rocks out of the tank to glue plants and dropped them right back in immediately. Turns white almost instantly and becomes inert.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-19-2018, 08:17 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
Interesting! There must be something with Phantoms in particular, like you mentioned. You found their "kryptonite", if you will...

Just to cover some bases:
Was it a cyanoacrylate glue? (plz check label for any other ingredients)
What was the exact brand and type? (ie Krazy liquid or Gorilla gel, etc)
What other variables around the same time? (do a water change, add fertz, feed, wash your hands?, etc)

Not trying to grill you with 20 questions, just super intrigued by this... thanks!

92% of all statistics are made up on the spot.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-19-2018, 08:55 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

This is what I used - from the LFS. I do about 20% water changes a week. I add Equilibrium in order to add minerals to RODI and small daily dosing of Excel. I also run CO during daylight hours.

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-19-2018, 09:22 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Just on the basis that I find the fumes to be tough on me, I do not glue underwater. Just seems to be playing it a bit too loose. Any directions with that glue as it seems to be a bit off the beaten path for me.
Meanwhile, I might also suspect other causes, just due to the way the glue works. I have a hard time seeing it move through water if there is not some other item in the glue.
Interesting info on super glue and how it was found accidentally :
Compound Interest - Sticky Science ? The Chemistry of Superglue
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-19-2018, 09:33 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Could they have pecked at it? It works underwater as the surface sets first and you have a little time to wiggle things and pop the surface to let fresh glue out. I guess if they pecked at it and it hadn't hardened that could be an issue.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-19-2018, 09:37 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I didnít see them peck at it and they donít peck at things general, unlike my three Tigers. My guess is it got in the immediate water column.

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-26-2018, 09:32 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
That's the same glue i use on my corals for the past 4 years, and for a lot of other people as well. It's gotta be something else.

I'm not into the image, but into the hobby...

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode