6.6 Gallon Bookshelf Aquarium - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 39 (permalink) Old 01-08-2010, 09:50 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)
6.6 Gallon Bookshelf Aquarium

The wood finally sank yesterday, and I just now finished the hardscape. Keeping it simple on this one. Using stock lighting, which is a 15w T8 fluorescent tube. The spectrum is iffy at best, so I'll be swapping it out for a 10,000k. Eco-Complete is the substrate. The stock HOB filter was a piece, so Petco swapped it out with an Aqueon from the shelf. I don't care, as long as it works, and it seems to.

No CO2. I'm just going to plant some anubias, moss, ferns and crypts. Then probably a handful of espei rasbora, plus a few amanos.

I just gotta find the plants now!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 (permalink) Old 01-08-2010, 10:33 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (6/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to tw33kerloki
Petco 6.6gal bookshelf tank

nice start!

I had one of these in my hands the other day when I stopped by my local Petco for some dog treats. Was thinking about the possibilities. Interested in how yours progresses.

shrimper
post #3 of 39 (permalink) Old 01-08-2010, 10:49 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (7/100%)
I love the hardscape. That's a nice looking tank too...I love the dimensions! I can't wait to see it with plants in

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(dismantled and replaced)

post #4 of 39 (permalink) Old 01-08-2010, 10:53 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Thanks guys. Yes, I like the dimensions too. It's very much like a scaled-down 20-long. And the slight bow from the bowfront is negligible, because of how long the tank is. So there's no real distortion from any angle.
post #5 of 39 (permalink) Old 01-08-2010, 10:56 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (78/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to Tex Gal
I like your layout. I didn't realize how big Eco complete is. It really looks pretty large. I can't imagine a small plant foreground. I know a lot of people use it. Does it come in different sizes?

Just keeping on keeping on....

post #6 of 39 (permalink) Old 01-08-2010, 11:03 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (7/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Church View Post
Thanks guys. Yes, I like the dimensions too. It's very much like a scaled-down 20-long. And the slight bow from the bowfront is negligible, because of how long the tank is. So there's no real distortion from any angle.
I think that's why I like it...I'm a big fan of 20 longs and this looks like a mini version. Looks like it'll be fun to scape!

(dismantled and replaced)
post #7 of 39 (permalink) Old 01-08-2010, 11:35 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
I had this tank a while ago and it was very nice...definitely felt bigger than a 6.6 gallon. My only gripe was that you couldn't fill the water up too high or it would touch the top of the plastic cover thingy. I fixed this by putting a small (1/2") strip of electrical tape around the top so you couldn't see the water line anymore.

Eco doesn't come any smaller but it's fine for small plants. I grew HC in it no problem in the past. Nice driftwood btw
post #8 of 39 (permalink) Old 01-08-2010, 11:39 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
where did you get the tank?...really is a nice dimension...
post #9 of 39 (permalink) Old 01-09-2010, 01:07 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (6/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to tw33kerloki
6.6 Gallon Bookshelf Aquarium

Quote:
Originally Posted by leemacnyc View Post
where did you get the tank?...really is a nice dimension...
Petco carries them.

Church,

how much Eco-Complete did you use?
and that's a pretty ecclectic book collection.

shrimper
post #10 of 39 (permalink) Old 01-09-2010, 01:07 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Texgal, thank you! Yeah eco-complete's particle size has gotten bigger over the past few years, but most of the bag is pretty uniform and properly-sized. It has always grown foreground plants just fine for me. I usually pick out the obvious, large pebbles. In this tank, I'll be laying out some moss-covered slate chips, for a moss carpet, so the particle size doesn't even matter at that point.

The Nerd, that's a good idea about the electrical tape. I'm not too concerned about the water line being visible, necessarily, but the tank isn't perfectly leveled, and that bugs me.

The tank comes from Petco. I think they are the only place you can get them. Only in the stores, not on their website.

I used about half of a bag of the Eco. The books are my girlfriend's, but you're right, it is quite an eclectic collection! I was wondering when someone would mention it, lol.
post #11 of 39 (permalink) Old 01-09-2010, 05:12 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)
i got java moss i've been trying to get rid of but can't bring myself to throw it away. if you want it, let me know.
btw i agree on the dimensions, good stuff

4 * 8 * 15 * 16 * 23 * 42

post #12 of 39 (permalink) Old 01-09-2010, 05:53 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
I love those tanks, I want to pick one up every time i see one at petco. I'll be watching this tank, good job thus far.
post #13 of 39 (permalink) Old 01-14-2010, 12:31 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quick crappy pic

Well, it's a start... I'm still thinking about what plants to put where. I have to purchase more anubias petite, as I way underestimated the amount I would need. But I also have some taiwan moss that I'll be tieing on to some slate, for a moss carpet.

Still a work in progress...
post #14 of 39 (permalink) Old 01-14-2010, 10:22 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Well some of the wood fell over while I was replanting the java fern, so I had to start all over.

I now see what the problem is... I don't have enough substrate, and the substrate I do have is just not heavy enough to keep the wood form rolling around. I just had a very frustrating afternoon. So I've decided to just let the wood lay the way it wants to lay, and here's what I ended up with:

...I just hope the wood stays put from now on, because the tank is too shallow to add any more eco-complete. I can deal with it the way it is now. I preferred it the way it was before, but that's life.

I now need some suggestions on what I can do with this tank. I have some taiwan moss I'll be making a carpet with, but I'm thinking a hedge of some kind of stem plants should be coming out of the fern bush on the left side, towards the back, while some small crypts and other things fill in the midground, and the gaps here and there. Oh yeah, I plan on getting more anubias petite to bush up at the base of the driftwood, as has already been started.

I just need some suggestions on what these "other things" should be. The real issues I'm working around here are the very minimal amount of substrate in the back left corner, because the intake pipe comes down too far, and the fact that the tank is only 8 inches tall.

All suggestions will be taken seriously.
post #15 of 39 (permalink) Old 01-17-2010, 04:13 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Dang no comments. Okay then, how about if I add more pictures? I just tied a bunch of taiwan moss on to some small rock chips and began laying out the foreground. Tell me what you think:

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode