Well some of the wood fell over while I was replanting the java fern, so I had to start all over.
I now see what the problem is... I don't have enough substrate, and the substrate I do
have is just not heavy enough to keep the wood form rolling around. I just had a very frustrating afternoon. So I've decided to just let the wood lay the way it wants to lay, and here's what I ended up with:
...I just hope the wood stays put from now on, because the tank is too shallow to add any more eco-complete. I can deal with it the way it is now. I preferred it the way it was before, but that's life.
I now need some suggestions on what I can do with this tank. I have some taiwan moss I'll be making a carpet with, but I'm thinking a hedge of some kind of stem plants should be coming out of the fern bush on the left side, towards the back, while some small crypts and other things fill in the midground, and the gaps here and there. Oh yeah, I plan on getting more anubias petite to bush up at the base of the driftwood, as has already been started.
I just need some suggestions on what these "other things" should be. The real issues I'm working around here are the very minimal amount of substrate in the back left corner, because the intake pipe comes down too far, and the fact that the tank is only 8 inches tall.
All suggestions will be taken seriously.