30g long Brackish Planted Tank *updated 1-12-10* added plants and puffer - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-07-2010, 05:57 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (26/100%)
30g long Brackish Planted Tank *updated 1-12-10* added plants and puffer

Equipment
- Aquaclear HOB 110
- Korilia 1 powerhead
- 150watt hydor submersible heater
- Coralife t5 fixture with 2x 21watt bulbs (1 colormax and 1 6500k)

Current Plant list
- Anubias Nana Golden
- Anubias Nana
- Anubias Barteri
- Anubias (not sure on the species yet)
- Anubias Coffefolia
- Anubias Nana Petite
- Java Fern
- Needle Leaf Java Fern
- Hygro Difformis

Fish List
- 1 Figure 8 Puffer

I have wanted to do a puffer tank for a while now. I had a 30 gallon long laying around that I decided to use for it. I decided on a Figure 8 puffer which is a brackish water fish. i haven't done any type of saltwater or brackish tank and felt this was a good place/fish to start with. I only plan to keep the 1 figure 8 puffer.

Here is the start of my setup. Its dirty and needs to be cleaned up yet.

This is going to be a low tech planted tank. Figure 8 puffers only need a specific gravity of 1.005 which gives me the largest selection of plants to choose from, which is still pretty small. I plan to go with varieties of Java Ferns and Anubias and java mostly. I am also gonna try a couple varietys of Hygros, Crypts and Vals as well. I am still working on a plan for the layout. But I would like to incorporate a couple caves of some type.

As far as my equipment I will be using an Aquaclear 110 HOB filter, 2 Korilia 1 powerheads (may switch those down to nanos), and for the lighting I still have my 36" coralife fixture with 2 x 21watt t5 bulbs. I am still waiting on a few more items that I ordered from bigalsonline.

Thats all I have for now thanks for looking I will update as I get it up and running.

Updated 1-11-10

I finally got the rest of the stuff I needed in the mail today so I am starting to work on the hardscape now.

The rocks I am using are lava rocks, the middle piece of wood between them is mopani, and the ones on the right side are manzanita. I am planning to play java ferns in between the manzanita sticks.

Updated 1-12-10

Got most of my plants in still deciding on where to put a few of the anubias. Also picked up my figure 8 puffer and got him acclimated. Just need to slowly raise the specific gravity to 1.005 over the next 3 weeks or so.

Little closer shot of the Anubias Nana Petites. They had been floating around in my 125g for the last 7 months finally decided to do something with them.

Couple pictures of my figure 8 puffer. He is hard to get a picture of doesnt really stop moving.

Last edited by idontknow; 01-13-2010 at 04:02 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-07-2010, 07:01 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)
cool, can't wait to see this all set up w/ the puffer btw: time for an update on your 125..

4 * 8 * 15 * 16 * 23 * 42

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-07-2010, 07:28 AM
Banned

PTrader: (43/100%)
i want to see this tank and how it goes i want to do a tank much like this one too!!! i saw a figure eight today and almost bought it but i suckered out for a pair of veil tail cherry barbs lol

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-09-2010, 03:25 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

My one problem I am having and I had this the first time I set this tank up was plant arangement. I wish there was just a hair more depth to work with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JennaH View Post
cool, can't wait to see this all set up w/ the puffer btw: time for an update on your 125..
I am actually in the process of redoing that tank. All the anubias is getting pulled to go into the Brackish tank and I am redoing the power heads. After that I need to replant and let some of the plants grow back. Hopefully be able to update that one in a couple months.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-12-2010, 03:03 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Updated first post with my hardscape I am working on. I also cleaned it up a bit
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-13-2010, 03:57 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Got most of it planted today and got my puffer. Added pix to my first post. Thanks for looking.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-13-2010, 06:55 AM
Banned

PTrader: (43/100%)
i really really like this way cool!!!
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-13-2010, 07:27 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)
great job on the planting! what an awesome start to this tank. love the 3rd pic of your puffer

4 * 8 * 15 * 16 * 23 * 42

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-13-2010, 09:37 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
awesome tank! i love how you put the fern with the wood on the right hand side

Hey,any of you happen to be/or know someone that are Crystal red/black shrimp breeders and stay in Petaling Jaya,Selangor,Malaysia?
if so,im looking for some decent shrimp and im hoping to get some...if so,pls pm me..thx ^^
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-13-2010, 01:33 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Send a message via MSN to garuf
I'm pretty sure a lot of the plants will die in brackish water, I know the anubias will certainlty, pretty sure the ferns and bolbitis will too.
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-13-2010, 01:54 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (6/100%)
how much is 1.005 in ppt?

post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-13-2010, 02:36 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Actually the plants I have will tolerate a specific gravity of 1.005. In fact Java fern naturally grows in brackish water. I am expecting a bit of die off while the plants acclimate to the salinity. I can't quote my source right now because I am on my phone and its a pain to use on this site but I will link the list of plants later.

Skratikans I am not sure I know what ppt is?

Here is a link with some info on plants for brackish setups

http://www.thepufferforum.com/forum/...php?f=8&t=4792

Last edited by idontknow; 01-13-2010 at 09:51 PM.
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-14-2010, 01:23 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (6/100%)
ppt=parts per thousand (in this case for your NaCl)
that is such a cool setup! btw

post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-14-2010, 05:24 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by skratikans View Post
ppt=parts per thousand (in this case for your NaCl)
that is such a cool setup! btw
Thanks

I had to look that one up. It works out to be about 10.5 - 11 depending on temperature fluctuation.

To get the specific gravity I need its roughly 1-2 tbls per gallon of water. It can vary based on temp, brand of marine salt, and even batches in the same brand.
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-14-2010, 10:11 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
Very nice. I have a 25g brackish right now. Been unable to grow plants in it though. Even anubias and java fern. Curious to see how yours goes. Maybe be able to get some tips if what your doing works out.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode