[1st Tank] 12 Gallon Long: "The Debt Creator" - The Planted Tank Forum
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-31-2016, 08:30 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
[1st Tank] 12 Gallon Long: "The Debt Creator"

Hola amigo's,

I am the definition of the word "rookie", but that has not stopped me from in head first! I am 100% new to the scene. All the knowledge I posses is a result of my ADD medicine, procrastination, Reddit and impulse buying.

I have dubbed this tank "The Debt Creator". What money I did (and don't) have, is now in the form of glass, greenery, stone, and soil.

The Goods:

TANK:
- 12 Gallon Long (~36"x8''x9'') - This is where it began. While "studying" I stumbled across a picture on the web. Fell in love. And the rest is history - From: (TrueAqua)

LIGHT:
- 2x Fennix 36" Stingrays - (Amazon)
- 20" LED Backlight - (Amazon)

FILTER:
-Eheim Classic 150 (2211) - (Amazon)
-No Name Input/Output Lily Pipes - (Amazon)

CO2:
- 24oz Paintball Tank - (Academy)
- On/Off Valve - (Amazon)
- Milwaukee MA957 Regulator and solenoid - (Amazon)
- Aquatek Co2 Hosing - (Amazon)
- Inline Diffuser - (Amazon)
- Drop Checker - (Amazon)
- Brass Check Vakve - (Amazon)

SUBSTRATE:
- 2x15lb Brightwell Aquatics FlorinVolcanit Plant Substrate Extra Fine Rio Cafe - (DrsFosterSmith)
- 2x 2Kg ADA La Plata Decorative Soil - (AFA)

HEATING:
- DIY Inline Heater using Hydor 50W - (Friend/My own two hands)

FERTS:
- Excel Trace Elements - (Amazon)
- GLA KH2PO4 - (GLA)
- GLA KNO3 - (GLA)

HARDSCAPE:
- Spiderwood - (Ebay)
- 15lbs Seiryu Stone - (Manzanita)

STAND:
- DIY cover for existing desk - (Me, myself, and I)
- DIY Aquarium Mat

MISC:
- Adhesive Free Frosted Glass Film - (You guessed it, Amazon)

Now lets begin:

01/31/15

As of today I have almost collected all my orders. The apartment front office knows me by name and apartment number with the amount of trips I made up there so far.

Supply Pile:

https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/at...583289&thumb=1

Not Yet Delivered:
- The Aquarium (ETD 02/01/16)
- Substrate (ETD 02/03/16)
- Sand (TBD)
- GLA Ferts (ETD 02/01/16)
- Stone (TBD)

So the space this tank will reside is atop my desk. The issue with said desk is the space below it. There is no back where I could tuck the wires/piping/equipment/etc. to keep it a clean install.

I set out on a little DIY project:

Here is the space I am working with:

https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/at...583297&thumb=1

Using a 4'x10'' piece of pine wood, black project foam board, staples, and hot glue, I put together this beauty

https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/at...583305&thumb=1
https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/at...583313&thumb=1
https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/at...583321&thumb=1

And here it is installed beneath the space

https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/at...583329&thumb=1

It fits perfectly in the space and slides easily out to the side to access its contents. This is where I will house the filter, co2, piping, and wires for the system.

Well, thats it for today. I will be updating this journal very regularly. I apologize in advance for the immense number of questions I will ask.

Thanks for your time! And remember, GEAUX TIGERS
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	8kDyzZU.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	80.5 KB
ID:	583289  

Name:	IkzZP3B.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	70.0 KB
ID:	583297  

Name:	ccZjGNt.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	46.2 KB
ID:	583305  

Name:	kN25lUX.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	65.2 KB
ID:	583313  

Name:	Vq3rrd5.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	65.3 KB
ID:	583321  

Name:	vAaI13U.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	77.3 KB
ID:	583329  

LSU Grad. Geaux Tigers. 12G Long

FOLLOW ALONG:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-02-2016, 01:06 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

You know what day it is? TANK DAY 01/31 - 02/01

01/31

Anticipating todays delivery, I spent the better part of yesterday doing a little site prep. Cleaned and organized the "tank stand"(i.e. student housing furniture) and turned that pile of amazon orders into what we will call my "Tank Cabinet".

Here is the "tank stand" I am working with.

https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/at...584066&thumb=1

Pictured on top is my DIY aquarium mat. Here is a close up. Thinking how bad it would suck when it comes time to move this thing to its forever home, I put together this simple solution.

Here is a closer look at the mat, which really isn't a mat at all.

https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/at...584074&thumb=1

Because of the weight of the tank with substrate, rock, remaining water, moving the tank down 3 flights of stairs would place a significant amount of stress on the joints of the tank. I picked up a sheet of .5'' hardwood (can't remember what it was exactly). Cut it down to 4'x10''. Reasoning behind this was I imagined the 3'' excess would create a better hold. Wrapped the wood in the black rubber underside of a yoga mat. I like the finish of the mat against the "stand" and it will add some extra grip when handling.

With the "stand" being open on the underside I knew it would look messy with all the equipment tucked under there. Last post I attached a picture of my cheap DIY "Tank Cabinet". The "cabinet" rests on these metal supports, which conveniently allows the "cabinet" to slide out to the side and front with relative ease.

Here is the before.

https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/at...584082&thumb=1

Even though the "cabinet" was cheap and held together with glue and staples, I wanted to make its "interior" as neat and organized as possible.

https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/at...584090&thumb=1

The Power Strip, Industrial Timer, and Pump Base are held in place with Industrial Velcro. This stuff is Gods gift to man. Super strong, adheres to anything, and keeps what you don't want to move from moving. It took me a few hours to figure out a way to ensure the CO2 tank would not tip over. I probably could have gotten away without this step, but I'd rather be safe than sorry. I tried a paper towel holder, the velcro, foam board, pretty much everything I had on hand. Tank is so top heavy it just kept tipping. Stumbled across a Yeti Cooler cup holder that I thought I had lost. Perfectly fit the CO2 tank and had a predrilled hole in its base that I simply drove a screw into, securing it to the base of the "cabinet". The
CO2 Hosing, Inlet/Outlet Pump Hosing, DIY Inline Heater, and CO2 Diffuser are all held on the wall with some high tech new technology called Duct Tape. Im going to look into a better looking way to mount equipment to the wall.

02/01

Modern day Santa showed up today. It is TANK DAY ladies and gentlemen! You could literally vanish in the amount of bubble wrap, packing peanut duo this bad girl came in.

My "private investigator'' looking into the mess

https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/at...584050&thumb=1

THE TANK

https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/at...584058&thumb=1

Couldn't resist hooking up the 2 Fennix Stingrays. Dang they are bright!!

https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/attachment.php
attachmentid=584106&thumb=1
Another View
https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/attachment.php?
attachmentid=584114&thumb=1

I got a little too excited. R.I.P

https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/at...584130&thumb=1

View with the lonely Input Lily placed

https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/at...584122&thumb=1

Couldn't resist getting a shot with the spider wood placed in a random position. Very temporary

https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/at...584138&thumb=1

Woods slightly to tall for the tank, but I like that it sticks out a bit. Need to look into either hanging the lights from the ceiling, invest in some light hangers, or maybe some acrylic risers??? Any suggestions?

Here is my new desk view as of today. Very pleased.

https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/at...584146&thumb=1

Whats to come:

I am waiting on all substrate and hardscape materials (excluding wood).
- 15lbs of Sieryu Stone
- 30lbs of Substrate
- 11lbs of Decorative Sand
- Replacement Lily Input Pipe

Thanks for reading!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_4690.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	88.7 KB
ID:	584050  

Name:	IMG_4691.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	77.4 KB
ID:	584058  

Name:	IMG_4695.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	66.5 KB
ID:	584066  

Name:	IMG_4699.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	64.6 KB
ID:	584074  

Name:	IMG_4708-2.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	54.7 KB
ID:	584082  

Name:	IMG_4687.jpg
Size:	78.5 KB
ID:	584090  

Name:	IMG_4719-2.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	61.5 KB
ID:	584098  

Name:	IMG_4715.jpg
Size:	74.4 KB
ID:	584106  

Name:	IMG_4712-2.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	52.4 KB
ID:	584114  

Name:	IMG_4717-2.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	55.2 KB
ID:	584122  

Name:	IMG_4716-2.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	90.4 KB
ID:	584130  

Name:	IMG_4721-2.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	86.2 KB
ID:	584138  

Name:	IMG_4724-2.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	78.9 KB
ID:	584146  

FOLLOW ALONG:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-02-2016, 01:29 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

I would think that two finnex strips are too much light even with CO2
noelanr and noelanr like this.

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-02-2016, 01:36 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I am semi afraid of this, but I own them, so I'm going to use them if I can get away with it. In all honesty I will probably end up hanging them or doing a DIY light hanger of some sort. Thanks for following along!
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-02-2016, 04:16 AM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by geaux_lsu_tigahs View Post
I am semi afraid of this, but I own them, so I'm going to use them if I can get away with it. In all honesty I will probably end up hanging them or doing a DIY light hanger of some sort. Thanks for following along!
That's how I fixed the issue with my 12 gallon long. I had a Satellite Pro+ LED with 150+ PAR at the subtrate sitting on the tank. I went to home depot, bought some metal chain, hook screws and zip ties. Viola!

It's at about 14 inches right now, and I still have it at 70% intensity. I'm hoping it's like 50-60 PAR at the subtrate now.

You may be good with one light hung and centered over the tank. If you can't adjust the intensity you'll at least be able to adjust the height. Get thin white painted chain like I have and you can easily raise/lower whenever you want.
I also used Matte black gaffers tape on the back of the light so it wouldn't light up my whole damn wall from the light to the tank, which was distracting.

Album: 12 Gallon Long
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-02-2016, 05:03 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

From my understanding, the Stingray is a low light oriented lamp. According to these links, it looks like I am in the 50 PAR range with one lamp. (Give or take 5 PAR? because I am running a 36'', not a 48'') Running two lamps, is it as simple as just doubling the PAR? (2 lamps = 100PAR?)

Here's some links to some info:
http://www.finnex.net/index.php/stin..._store=default

The Aquatic Plant Society ? The Finnex Stingray LED: Entry level never looked this good?

I remember reading on another forum that 100+ is considered the low end of the "high light'' spectrum. Any truth to this?

I have already began to look into options for adjusting the height. If it comes down to it, I will use this kit (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002IOKRO?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=ox_sc_sfl_title_1&smid=AYETLLJ1Q9FG5). Run a 12''x2''x1/2'' Acrylic/Plexiglass at each end to get the triangle shape. That way I can rest the edges of the lamps at the edges of the shelf with the absence of material between the light and the tank. I can easier hide wires this way than have them coming down from the ceiling.

FOLLOW ALONG:
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-03-2016, 05:02 AM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by geaux_lsu_tigahs View Post
From my understanding, the Stingray is a low light oriented lamp. According to these links, it looks like I am in the 50 PAR range with one lamp. (Give or take 5 PAR? because I am running a 36'', not a 48'') Running two lamps, is it as simple as just doubling the PAR? (2 lamps = 100PAR?)

Here's some links to some info:
Finnex Stingray

The Aquatic Plant Society ? The Finnex Stingray LED: Entry level never looked this good?

I remember reading on another forum that 100+ is considered the low end of the "high light'' spectrum. Any truth to this?

I have already began to look into options for adjusting the height. If it comes down to it, I will use this kit (Robot Check). Run a 12''x2''x1/2'' Acrylic/Plexiglass at each end to get the triangle shape. That way I can rest the edges of the lamps at the edges of the shelf with the absence of material between the light and the tank. I can easier hide wires this way than have them coming down from the ceiling.
Doubling wouldn't be accurate since the PAR rating provided would be directly under the light. As you get further away horizontally, the PAR lowers. There would definitely be overlap between the two lights, but it all depends on how close they are on the tank. A PAR meter would be the most accurate way to figure this out.

That being said, based on those lights I think you'll be fine with both of them on the tank. I looked through the specs and they are much lower rated than the light I have on the same tank. Your PAR is 30 at 12" - mine is 100 at 12"
If you do hang them, I recommend getting some kind of adjustable kit. That way you can lower the lights to increase PAR if needed.

Last edited by sl3xx; 02-03-2016 at 05:53 AM. Reason: -
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-03-2016, 08:03 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

The 2211 will provide adequate bio and mechanical filtration but I think you'll need more flow. Deadspots = algae. Really important to get the CO2 flowing all around the tank before gassing off. I recommend a wave maker or powerhead to increase flow. Thankfully these are relatively inexpensive as you don't need anything fancy.

The biggest challenges you'll face with all this initially may be dialling in CO2 and battling algae. I highly highly recommend using a mixed method approach to determining CO2 concentration. CO2 is difficult to measure accurately in home aquaria, but here's a couple of methods to combine with the drop checker:

The 1pH drop method: Aim for and maintain a 1pH drop during the entire photoperiod (from the very moment lights come on, all the way to lights off) which roughly equates to 30ppm CO2.

CO2 / pH / KH table: Chart your CO2 based on your pH and KH values.. CO2/pH/KH table - Aquarium Plants - Barr Report

Note: With all methods your aim is consistency.. you want your CO2 to be around the same level at lights on as lights off to ensure you're injecting consistently. Check your pH a few times throughout the photoperiod to ensure that CO2 concentrations remain pretty constant.

Last edited by Straight shooter; 02-03-2016 at 01:04 PM.
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-03-2016, 10:45 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I appreciate the advice. The CO2/pH/kH table I have never seen before. I just purchased the master kit freshwater testing package. Doesn't include kH, any recommendations? I have a lot of money invested in this thing already. Last thing I need is for it to fail.

FOLLOW ALONG:
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-05-2016, 02:43 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

UPDATE: Getting closer slowly but surely (02/04)

Set aside some time today amidst capstone projects and exit exams to work on the tank, place some orders, and pick up some new goods.

My duct tape job securing equipment didn't hold up so I redid it. Used conduit pipe clamps and wire staples to clean it up a bit. I know it isn't much of a cabinet, but hey, it works.

Here it is cleaned up a bit. When I move to my new place after graduation I'll either build, or have built, a cabinet, but the time being this will work.

LED backlighting strip came in, so I wired that up. Not a bad little unit. It's housed in an aluminum c-channel. Includes 20 colors, 8 preset settings, and 6 DIY settings where you can create your own color and save it to the controller. Pretty bright too.

Heres some pictures from random points around the room trying out a few of the color options.

White:

Blue:

Red:

Green:

Installed some frosted glass vinyl to the backside. This was definitely a pain. Issue I kept running into was the excess mm of film that hung over the edge wouldn't allow the film to seal, allowing air bubbles to form. Solution was to just cut the film a few mm short around the edges. Came out pretty nice.

Substrate arrived. Too bad I am still waiting on the decorative sand and rocks. Went with Brightwell Aquatics Florin Volcanic Rio Cafe Extra Fine. Main reason for this was I wanted extra fine plant substrate that was nor black or red. Haven't heard many reviews on the stuff so I figured I'll be the guinea pig. Picked up 30lbs of the stuff.

Here is a little teaser. Its holding me over while I continue to wait for shipments.

Lastly, I discovered the DIY forum on the site...not good. Ended up buy an Arduino board, peristaltic pumps, hosing, and all the materials to put together an automatic doser. I have a VERY little understanding of code, or how to even write it. I know a bit of MATLAB but I am not sure that makes a difference. Depending on how it goes, I may do a little write up on it if people are interested.

This may be a new product on the market? I say that because it took me until the 3-4pg of a google search to find a place who had it in stock. It is a nano dosing hose holder called the "Vertex Line-Mag Titano" Its very small from my understanding. Houses 8mm tubing. I wanted something as inconspicuous as possible. Here is the site:

Vertex Line-Mag Titano

Going to start putting together layout ideas. Going to need some advice.

Thanks Y'all

FOLLOW ALONG:
post #11 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-05-2016, 03:37 AM

I am interested in how you like the substrate you chose. What is the volume for 30 lbs of the stuff? My first lower tech 'debt creator' is still chugging along with simple flourite in it. Growth happens but seems to be slowing down - and I'm regretting the unnaturally red color.

Good choice of dog.
post #12 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-05-2016, 04:10 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I will definitely try to take daily pictures after I get it up and compile them in some sort of progression to show the rate of plant growth. I figure that will give a sense of how the stuff is performing. Equation on bag: (Tank L x Tank W x in of substrate)/60= Liters of Extra Fine. So (36"x9"x2.5'')/60 = 12L of Extra Fine @ ~7.3L/bag for this tank at the preferred depth of substrate.

Love this breed. Natural born pointer, intelligent as could be, and obedient as they come. It is funny, I am the only guy in the BR metropolitan area who has a WPG. Finding a vet who had experience with the the breed was tougher than it should have been.

FOLLOW ALONG:
post #13 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-05-2016, 04:31 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

First Suggested Layout - 12g Long - "Debt Creator"

Heres my first go at laying out a tank. To separate sands and maintain the shape I'll use plastic dividers. To achieve height in the back left I'll use egg crate.

Mound back left: 3"- 4''tall
Taper down until it reaches ~2''-3'' substrate depth.
Average substrate depth: 2''-3''
Sire Stone will be used (If I ever hear back from Manzenite Woods)

Plants:
Blyxia aubertii, Hemianthus Callitrichoides Cuba,Jungle Val

I am aiming for the back left side of the tank to be very heavily planted.

Inspiration:

I am VERY open to suggestions, so PLEASE send any advise or ideas my direction!!!

I bought the plants over a week ago and have them in a temp tank I picked up and a tupperwear container. They are actually doing really well. Dosing the Cuba with Flourish Excel daily and running lights approximately 10hrs a day. They have already grown an extra cm in diameter and cm or so taller.

FOLLOW ALONG:
post #14 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-05-2016, 05:07 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Tank Layout Option - "Debt Creator"

Here is another option I was working on.

The yellow area I would like so sort of background plant that had purples or reds in it. I think there needs to be some sort of contrast to break up the greenery. Plant suggestion for this?

Thoughts? Suggestions? Ideas welcome

FOLLOW ALONG:
post #15 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-05-2016, 06:05 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
Looks good! I Like asymmetrical tanks but with this being so long I bet it would be really nice to have two planted sections on either end and a really large valley in the middle, plus that will be a fun spot for the fish to hang out in.
I donno if you can pick up any more layout materials but small rocks and some more driftwood would be killer!
AKA the debt creator lol

Bump:
or even something centralized like this!

Tags
aquascape, first setup, mr. aqua 12 gallon long

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode