Fluval Edge 6g/23L - First planted tank - no C02 - Journal - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-30-2016, 05:28 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Red face Fluval Edge 6g/23L - First planted tank - no C02 - Journal

Hi all,
I have just started my first planted tank (first tank ever) and this is going to be my log on how well (or not) it does.

Tank: Fluval Edge 6g/23L
Lighting: Upgraded to the stock LED light from the 12g Edge. (Double the leds) - 4 hours on, 3 hours off, 4 hours on.
C02: None - Only Excel.

Plant list:
Myriophyllum mattogrossense
Flame Moss
Staurogyne repens
dwarf hairgrass
Vallisneria nana
Sagittaria sabulata
A moss ball

Full photo log here: Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet. Ill be adding new posts to this thread for each day on.

Dosing: Started on day 4
First dose of excel was 2.8ml
Each day after it will be 0.6ml

Cycle:
Using the "add and wait" method from here
Ammonia Instructions For A Fishless Cycle - 19627
Used this calculator Aquarium Calculator ? Ammonia for cycling with the parameters of Volume 23L, ammonia 10% desired ammonia 5.
So I added in 1.2ml of Ammonia.

Test Kits: Tetra

My test kit went a bit higher than the chart. Its has turned a blue colour. But as I am doing the add and wait method and theres no fish it should be Ok to leave it and wait it out?

Day 4: Excel 2.8ml. Ammonia 1.2ml - Levels: Ammonia 5+mg/l (Dark blue) <- First day of excel and ammonia (to start the cycle)
Day 5: Excel 0.6ml. No added ammonia - Levels: Ammonia 5+mg/l (blue)
Day 6: Excel 0.6ml. No added ammonia - Levels: Ammonia 5+mg/l (lighter blue)
Day 7: Excel 0.6ml. No added ammonia - Levels: - Not measured
Day 8: Excel 0.6ml. No added ammonia - Levels: - Not measured
Day 9: Excel 0.6ml. No added ammonia - Levels: Ammonia 5 mg/l Nitrate: 3.3-33mg/l (deep red)
Day 10: Excel 0.6ml. No added ammonia -Levels: - Not measured
Day 11: Excel 0.6ml. No added ammonia - Levels: - Not measured
Day 12: Excel 0.6ml. No added ammonia - Levels: Ammonia 2 mg/l Nitrate: 3.3-33mg/l (deep red)
Day 13: Excel 0.6ml. Ammonia 0.6ml - Levels: Ammonia 0 mg/l / 2mg/l (before and after adding ammonia) Nitrate: 3.3-33mg/l (deep red)

Day 1

Day 2:

Already they are bending to the light

And there seems to be some kind of roots growing out of the ground. Im 99% sure these where not there when I first planted the tank.

Day 3:

I did some very light trimming today.

Day 4:

My syringes arrived today so today I dosed Excel and some Ammonia for the first time.

Is it ok to leave it at this level for the start of my cycle?

I will update with photos of each day on the link and in a new thread post. Ill update the level readings in this post.

Last edited by MattM; 02-08-2016 at 08:07 PM. Reason: updating levels
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-31-2016, 01:20 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Day 5:

Trimmed the hair grass to a short length. Will be leaving it now until its long enough to need cutting again.

Dosed 0.6ml of Excel

Ammonia is slightly less than yesterday

There where a few floating runners it seemed with a small bit of growth so I cut them off and planted them.
Some of the leafs are brown while others have definitely grown. Is that just due to it getting adjusted to underwater conditions. Should I cut them away or will it naturally just disintegrate?
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-01-2016, 07:59 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Day 6
Ammonia reading is a ligher blue than yesterday. In real life its a lot closer to the last green that it looks in the photo.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-04-2016, 09:10 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Exclamation Nitrates super high?!

Day 9:

Sorry everyone. The last 2 days I have been home late and did not have time to update.

I did a bit of a reshuffle in the tank. I moved the plants that where bending over on the right, to the middle around the centre rock. Hopefully they will all straighten up and be like a mini forest around the rock. The right side is looking a bit empty but there was a lot of new dwarf sag's popping up so I replanted them in that area.

Feel like I need something though to fill it up. Maybe just some more vallisneria nana around that area to make a green back wall.

So I also decided the test my Nitrate today. I think maybe I should have been testing them from the start? But for some reason I had in my mind I didnt need to test them for a while until the ammonia had started to do its work.

...Its extremely red and the ammonia still hasn't completely gone. Could the nitrates really be this value so quickly. It seems a bit early in the cycle for this to be happening? The ammonia is going down though (although I did top up the water slightly which may have diluted the levels, but it was only about half a cups full).
So I keep going and hopefully it will start to drop? Not sure what to do now.

Tags
fluval edge

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode