Green024's mess of a 10g(Taken down) - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-04-2010, 11:24 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (40/100%)
Send a message via Skype™ to Green024
Green024's mess of a 10g(Taken down)

Background:
This tank was a x-mas present for my girlfriend 3 yrs ago. With no knowledge about cycling, overstocking, or light cycles and algae, we dove right in and purchased some ugly neon substrate, a few guppies, a few cherry barbs, a opaline gourami, and a pleco the day after setting this tank up. The pleco was the only one that did not make it out of that batch o fish. In no time the guppy population exploded, and I decided it was time for a second tank. And surely enough, the following summer came a 3rd tank..... oh and it doesnt stop there, I now have 6 tanks running in my studio apartment . Our first live plant was given to us by a friend, it was a small amazon sword rougly 2-3" tall. Since I knew nothing about plants, it recieved no ferts, no co2, 12+ hours of light a day. Its growth was practically non existant. The only growth that occured was the algae on its leaves..... It wasn't untill September of this past year that I became more interested in the live plant aspect of aquariums, and found this great forum with tons of information.

Direction:
I am not nor have ever been sure where I want to go with this tank. I do plan on giving it a massive re-scape in the near future, so any suggestions would be helpful.

Equipment:
HOB Whisper filter
Submersible heater
1x24w T5 (9 hours)
Pressurized co2

Ferts:
EI dosing method

Inhabitants:
Female Guppies/fry, Pond snails 1 CAE
Plants:
Vesicularia dubyana, Microsorum pteropus, Lilaeopsis brasiliensis, Vallisneria Spiralis, Rotala rotundifolia (indica), Echinodorus amazonicus, Limnophila aromatica, Hemianthus micranthemoides, Hygrophila polysperma 'Rosanervig', Lemna minor

(9/21/09) Here is the algae covered sword that started it all. Still under stock lighting.

(9/21)Ordered a small package of plants. I should have removed all algae from the glass before I added the Eco-complete.

(10/19) Snagged some HC, hygro and Limnophila aromatica from joraan here. I think some duckweed may have came with them as well. You will soon see why.

(11/27) And here is where the plants go nuts from the diy co2 and 1x24w t5

(12/5) Added the second 24w bulb back to the t5 fixture

The overgrown amazon sword has now been removed and passed on to my younger brother, so he can continue the passing of the addiction we know as the planted tank. Thus leaving a massive blank space on the left side of my tank.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Pimp #420

Last edited by Green024; 02-20-2011 at 12:09 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-04-2010, 12:26 PM
Banned

PTrader: (43/100%)
nice job so far needs a lil more filling in
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-04-2010, 01:49 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Thanks problemman, Indeed it does need a lot more time, and many more trimmings.

Since i have the night off tonight, i may try to do a little rearranging.

I have been lacking in the iron supplements from week to week. I completely forgot to add that to my order from GreenLeafAquariums when I made my last purchase. Looks like he will be hearing from me again real soon. Im also in the midst of possibly splitting my pressurized setup that i bought for my 30g, to both it and this 10g.

edit: after reading a few posts about csm+b, adding iron chelate is not necessary.

Pimp #420

Last edited by Green024; 01-05-2010 at 06:18 AM.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-05-2010, 02:42 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Didn't really rearrange much tonight, just moved some hygro around and trimmed a ton of rotala. I eventually want to remove the fake stump that's covered in java moss and ferns, and possibly add some real driftwood. I am also planning on removing the vals in the center, and giving them to my brother for his 54 corner tank. He may just get the java stump as well.

I had a leak in my bubble counter the other day, so algae is making its presence known. My micro swords are covered.

(1/4) pre-trim

(1/4) post-trim

left side

right side

Here is the stand I have it on. Accompanied by my 30 and 125g. It would be nice to have them all on their own stands, but my apartment is lacking the space for that.

Pimp #420
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-05-2010, 02:47 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green024 View Post
(1/4) pre-trim

i really like this photo for some reason.what i can say is to get the hm trimmed to be your foreground. it will take some work but u can do it. other then i really like how you have everything
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-05-2010, 06:55 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Thanks again problemman! All though I think it is HC that I have, not HM. And yes that bush needs to be hacked down indeed!

Pimp #420
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-05-2010, 07:02 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Hmmm, It does look a ton like pearlweed or HM doesnt it?

Pimp #420
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-05-2010, 09:12 AM
Banned

sure does to me! lol
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-06-2010, 02:43 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Walked downstairs to feed the fish and add the ferts this morning, and on the floor in front of the tank was the CAE. Thanks again Cats...... I guess that saves me some time trying to net him out of there in the future :/ . Poor little bugga.

Pimp #420
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-15-2010, 11:53 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

The overgrown Java stump and Vals has been removed, and added to my brothers tank. I will try to either get him on here, or post a few pictures of his tank 54g corner tank sometime.

I cant wait to sit down and get some rearranging done now that I have some space to do so. Also now that the moss is gone from this tank (for now), I think it will make removing the duckweed a more plausible task.(I hope!)

I removed one bulb from the fixture over this tank and FINALLY added Pressurized co2.....Bout time....

Pimp #420
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-15-2010, 12:38 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
I like it

Hey,any of you happen to be/or know someone that are Crystal red/black shrimp breeders and stay in Petaling Jaya,Selangor,Malaysia?
if so,im looking for some decent shrimp and im hoping to get some...if so,pls pm me..thx ^^
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-11-2010, 09:11 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Made a pretty dumb mistake last night before i went to bed. I noticed i wasn't getting what i needed for diffusion of co2 through the glass diffuser. Most bubbles were coming out large and rising to the surface fast. ( i have a 5lb co2 setup being spliced between two tanks with glass diffusers with the best gang valve i had. probably not the best idea, but I thought if i could get the levels i wanted and leave the setup alone, it would work.)
I tried keeping the water level up to the bottom of the hob filter, but the co2 still wasn't being absorbed into the water column enough to change my drop checker to a nice green. I switched out the hob filter for a Tom's mini canister filter, then switched out the glass diffuser for a hagen mini elite inline filter. This all done at night when the co2 was shut off........ BaD idea. I woke up to find 7 out of the 30 guppies at the surface gasping for oxygen. The other 20 weren't as resilient to the overdose of co2 :/

I did not even think of the difference in pressure it would take to power between a hagen mini, and a glass diffuser. Since i was using a gang valve with my 10g line slightly open, and my 30g open even more, 100% of the co2 went to the 10 gallon line to the new Hagen diffuser because it took no pressure for the co2 to get pushed out the end of the line, compared to the 30 with large glass diffuser....

Well, Lesson learned. Teaches me not to mess with my c02 setup up when its turned off, and forget to watch it when it turns on. :\

Pimp #420
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-11-2010, 09:55 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Send a message via AIM to talontsiawd
As far as I can tell, you have HM. Don't be afraid to cut it down to the substrate either. If it is growing well, it will recover. Better, it will start to carpet well. Though my 29 is not what it used to be, you can see what it looks like in my 29 gallon journal when it starts to carpet. Cool plant, one of my favorites though I got rid of it all.

-Matt

post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-12-2010, 02:54 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Thanks for the trimming advise , I will give a try next trim session.

It's been awhile since I threw a few photos on here, mostly due to being ashamed by all of the hair algae haha

1-29-10

2-10-10 (RiP guppies , my bad. At least some of you made it out alive....)

2-12-10 And now its a ghost town...

Pictures are usually taken in the morning right as the co2 is coming on, hence the blue 4dkH

Pimp #420
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-08-2010, 05:15 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Cleaned the filter out this morning before going to sleep, and managed to knock some seal loose or something and drained a good 1-2 gallons out onto the floor. I woke up to my girlfriend asking me, "Is there a reason why the water in the ten gallon in down 3 inches? The filter is splashing quite a bit." Fun fun...

Decided to pull the HM out and use it in my 45 gallon iwagumi scape. Once I did that, the tank just looked sad and bare, so i tore everything out. It was turning into a jungle of HM and Sunset Hygro anyway.
My 20 gallon extra plants tank is now sitting where this 10 gallon was.
Thus leaving us with the end of this short journal. Thanks for looking, expect a journal of my 45g iwagumi tank soon!

Pimp #420

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode