2.5 gallon betta jungle - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-26-2016, 01:59 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
2.5 gallon betta jungle

This is mainly my tank for holding aquatic plants before they go in the other tanks, but it's slowly becoming a little project of its own. First, here is a full album of photos, which I will update periodically: https://goo.gl/photos/kbqFCVPEknvw7FVL6

Now, a few shots (click thumbnails for full-sized images):

I'll be adding some snail and mussel shells as a top level substrate soon, and the plants will probably cycle through a bit, but this is where I will document such changes.

Also, as shown in the photos, the only filtration is the air stone bubbles pulling water up over the clay pebbles in that mesh bag. Water changes are frequent. The tank is on a platform on a radiator for the winter, and will move to a sunny window whenever we turn off the heat.

Plants and microfauna (scuds, snails, bivalve, so far) are from the Potomac, between DC and Great Falls, and mostly have not been definitively identified (feel free to make suggestions). I believe the grassy plant is Heteranthera dubia, and I have some tiny ramshorns that I think are Gyraulus parvus.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
--- Mississippi map + jewel cichlid tank (65 gal)

Last edited by winn; 01-27-2016 at 12:52 PM. Reason: replaced images with linked thumbnails
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-26-2016, 07:52 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

A couple new photos -- one of the ramshorns first, then the bivalve that I'm pretty sure is an Asian clam (Corbicula fluminea). Click thumbnails for full size:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by winn; 01-26-2016 at 07:54 PM. Reason: fixed thumbnails
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-27-2016, 02:07 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Interesting project

110g Tropical Community & Sakura Shrimp
55g BN Breeding Grounds, Peacock Gudgeons, Panda, Pygmies, & Smudge Spot Cories, Rili Shrimp
10g RCS and show guppies

-
-

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-27-2016, 06:31 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
What exactly is your goal with this tank? It looks like you are trying to get a riverbed look. Is this the case?
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-27-2016, 07:01 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by flinters17 View Post
What exactly is your goal with this tank? It looks like you are trying to get a riverbed look. Is this the case?
I guess I took inspiration from the place where I collected most of the stuff in the tank, which is an offshoot of the Potomac River between the mainland and an island, which only really flows when the river is in flood stage, and becomes more like a little pond when the river is low (when the island is more like a peninsula). So it's somewhere between silty and fast-moving, lots of detritus but also stuff you find in fast-moving places like a beach of dead snail and bivalve shells (as well as living snails and bivalves of course).

At first I wasn't really trying to make it look like anything, I was just seeing what would sprout from a wad of dormant winter river detritus, and was going to clean and transfer each plant into my main tank as it sprouted. Then, I added that bit of rock because it had a nice looking moss on it, and I was going to move the rock into my main tank if the moss flourished. But that moss has mostly died and was overgrown with the macroalgae in the photos, since I guess the moss wanted colder water.

My next step, as I mentioned, is to add a bunch of shells as a substrate, and also to collect some more snail and bivalve specimens. However, I don't expect this tank will ever have a refined/finished look, since the plants will necessarily be a little on the untamed/disorderly side because this is still the tank where I nurse plants to life before putting them in my larger tanks.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode